That's plane scary!  I'd rather not fly with this Thai airline, says poster

webfact

46 minutes ago, JoePai said:

The worrying part of that photo is the driver seems to be sitting in the wrong position

Give the guy a break will you !! 

I am sure he will figure that out after he realize he can not find proper the stick and the throttle ...

You need to relax a bit  ???? ... no need to worry .... YET ...

• Haha 1

To answer your correct use where you criticized someone's use of the word;

"A plane is something a carpenter uses. If you are going to critique know it alls. Please use correct terminology". 

PLANE:

VERB
  1. (of a bird or an airborne object) soar without moving the wings; glide.
    "a bird planed down toward the water below"
    synonyms:
    soar · glide · float · drift · wheel
Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sharp said:

Not gonna happen

I don't mean stopping it long term. I mean I thought the government banned it until the end of April in their press release for the lockdown procedures. I didn't realise you could still fly to another province. 

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

They are not alone.  This is a photo of an American Airlines Domestic flight in the US.

Airlines ask for bailouts and they do this during a Pandemic.  

image.jpeg.8178a6928ddafcb08238e8f8155b6b9c.jpeg

This should be quite OK and justified... at least here at TVF

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

A plane is something a carpenter uses. If you are going to critique know it alls. Please use correct terminology. 

I was confused, hence I referred the Oxford Learners Dictionary. Seems they too are confused as much as I am! Maybe because it is the Oxford Learners Dictionary? ????

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/plane_1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

said that the flight used an aircraft with a propellor, something that the passengers were allegedly not told about before. 

"If I had known all this I wouldn't have flown," said the Udon native. 

So now passengers want to approve the type of plane they fly on?

Shows just how dumb some are !

Well, if they fly the people on a 2nd WW remnant, i guess somebody will complain.

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

if they didn't 'flex' they would break off, which would you rather have, flexing wings, or no wings? 

I remember seeing a TV doco many years ago when the first Boeing 747 was being designed and tested and what was amazing was the amount of flex in the wings, damn near like a bird flapping its own wings (hyperbole I know).

6 minutes ago, ravip said:

I was confused, hence I referred the Oxford Learners Dictionary. Seems they too are confused as much as I am! Maybe because it is the Oxford Learners Dictionary? ????

I was taught in my very early days of learning to pilot an aircraft,  that the term 'aircraft', encompasses all machines built to fly above ground level, including balloons and gliders. Aeroplanes are all heavy than air machines that fly by propulsive power, however generated.  No pilot I know would ever refer to their aircraft as a 'plane'.   

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I remember seeing a TV doco many years ago when the first Boeing 747 was being designed and tested and what was amazing was the amount of flex in the wings, damn near like a bird flapping its own wings (hyperbole I know).

My own B777-300 wing, at MAUW, would flex upwards of 12 feet on takeoff. 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/g2428/7-airplane-wing-stress-tests/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I was taught in my very early days of learning to pilot an aircraft,  that the term 'aircraft', encompasses all machines built to fly above ground level, including balloons and gliders. Aeroplanes are all heavy than air machines that fly by propulsive power, however generated.  No pilot I know would ever refer to their aircraft as a 'plane'.   

Thank you for the update and correction.

I guess Dictionaries which we depended so much in our younger days are no longer reliable, as most things today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

Thank you for the update and correction.

I guess Dictionaries which we depended so much in our younger days are no longer reliable, as most things today.

Rights of way for different aircraft

There are four main types of aircraft; balloons, gliders, airships and powered aircraft. Each type of aeroplane has to give way to another depending on its method of thrust.

balloons, gliders, airships and powered aircraft flight rules

Conventionally powered aircraft have to give way to everything. Airships have to give way to balloons and gliders, gliders have to give way to balloons. Finally, balloons have very little means of manoeuvrability and therefore have right of way over all 3 other types of aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

So now passengers want to approve the type of plane they fly on?

Passengers have long "approved" the type of plane they choose to fly, when you book the flight it is stated what type of aircraft they will use, you can book a seat based on preference. if they change you should be informed as they have "broken" an agreement.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

if they didn't 'flex' they would break off, which would you rather have, flexing wings, or no wings? 

Many years ago I was involved in the stress testing of a swing wing bomber. The aircraft was cold soaked for 3 days then with fuselage tied down and rams under the wings. The wing tips were flexed 12 foot up and 6 foot down from neutral. Amazing to see on a 65 foot wingspan.

That test gave the wings an extra 2,000 flying hours

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

That's plane scary!  I'd rather not fly with this Thai airline, says poster

Folks like me who were working in the oil industry decades ago, didn't have much choice on the aeroplanes that we were flown in, and as an example, an old DC3 was used on a few occasions, as were Fokker Friendships, a twin engined De Havilland Otter and one particular aircraft which flew out of Glasgow to Stavanger, flown by Braathens SAFE, was indeed scary.

It had to be about 30 years old and rumour had it that it was an old German wartime private transport plane, obviously a twin prop job, and what stood out most was the exhaust cowlings which were rectangular in shape.

It held about 40 folk and when it was started it sounded a bit like an old car struggling to fire up and when it did, huge volumes of blue smoke would emanate from the exhaust, frightening the life out of us.

Would love to find out what it was, all the same, it took us backwards and forwards from Glasgow to Stavanger without any hassle, and as a bonus it was able to fly very low in amongst the fjord's which gave us a birds eye view of that quite remarkable scenery.

PS. The last time I flew in that DC3, there was a bit of a scare because whatever was used to "direction find" obviously wasn't working properly because we should have landed in Tripoli, but were running about half an hour late and it wasn't until the two American young cowboy pilots up the front began to get worried and started pulling the wires and flicking switches on a little box above their seats, as well as thumping it.

Well it must of done the trick, because within a few minutes we did a fairly sharp left hand turn and before long did find Tripoli airport.

The Fokker Friendship we flew on also had problems because the undercarriage wouldn't come down and we were prepared for a crash landing, which wouldn't have been very nice at all because it was used to carry a few oilfield workers as well as large bits of equipment and oil valves etc, which were laying all around the floor, so with that lot flying around the place I don't think I would have been here writing this.

Anyway, slightly off topic but have had my share of scary experiences on aeroplanes and helicopters and don't worry now about which ones I fly on!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In response, Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) director-general Chula Sukmanop said the mandatory measure comes into effect only from May 1.

he  ouldn't come up with anything better 555

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Please, what IS the correct terminology for that thing with wings which flies thru the air? Whether it be airplane or aeroplane, PLANE is still there.

Is it a bird..............Is it a plane................????????

52 minutes ago, ravip said:

Do not worry Ravid. You are not confused at all. @phutoie2 is being a pedantic grammar warrior. (probably not for the 1st time) and he is also incorrect.

'Plane' is commonly used informally in place of airplane in the US or aeroplane in the UK. The Cambridge Dictionary will confirm this for you at:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/plane

Enjoy your day.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I hope the poster is not arrested for computer crimes act and spreading false information, plus some defamation charge for good measure…. 

When I wrote about the abysmal state of preparation in Swampy's international arrivals in Feb and staff not giving a **** I was roasted to hell and back, with many posters suggesting I should have been jailed/deported for my criticism. And wear a hazmat suit/jar on my head. And stop living in fear.

I wonder where those people have disappeared to... Don't they want to come out from under their bridge to wag their finger at the entitled know-it-all complainer in the OP? 

Or is it because the complainer is a Thai? ????

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Would lose her <deleted> altogether if she had flown on the Melbourne to Griffith NSW flight I used to take in a WW2 era de Havilland Heron.  Dam plane had wings made out of rubber!   Flying through turbulence I  would swear black and blue the deflection was 12" in either direction.

Not growing a little pot up there, were we?

• Haha 1