Booze industry urges govt to lift prohibition

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Winky Wilson said:

The police have realized how much easier their role is with the alcohol ban.  Good luck.

........and the bloke in charge of fixing road carnage....Think he will be inline for a gong and a pay rise..............????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Muzzique said:

The number of emergency A&E cases that were alcohol related have fallen from 40% to around 15% which has freed up much needed emergency medical staff and beds. This ban is likely to continue well into the summer/autumn so get used to it. 

If the government didn't hide the true virus figures you would see why it is needed. Thailand is in a deep hole at the moment with CV19. You can probably tell this from the severity of the lock down against so few cases reported, the size of the mismatch.

The issuing of doctored figures is designed to prevent civil unrest. This is probably the best way for everyone's safety including yours.

So just sip on your iced tea and enjoy the rest. We should see things easing off by October hopefully.

Why October? 

• Sad 1

It is likely that this administration will only listen to the booze industry lobbyists. Money talks. So, hopefully they will be able to talk some common sense into these guys. After all, now many nations worldwide imposed an alcohol ban? Greenland, South Africa and one province in France. And Thailand. What can one even say? Punish the people with a lockdown, and a curfew, and then deny us the comfort of a drink. I am not a big drinker, but I am also not a big fan of Uncle Somchai telling me what I can and cannot do, and telling me that having a drink somehow puts the nation in jeopardy. Yes, I have heard all the social distancing stuff. All of that can easily be applied, and common sense can be applied too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, PlastikbinLina said:

It will be interesting to see the road toll figures are since the ban on alcohol sales.  No doubt they declined dramatically but sadly they'll get back normal  no doubt after the ban is lifted.

The death toll will be lower due to fewer people on the roads and the night time curfew.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Be strong Prayut. 

Think of your people and care for them:

Ban the booze industrie for this year at least

I see you are keeping up your usual baiting diatribe........????............................????

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, alien365 said:

The death toll will be lower due to fewer people on the roads and the night time curfew.

The police are welcome to apply the laws about driving unsafely.  I wish they would.

There is no need to punish people who enjoy a beer at home at all.

Some peoples attitudes seem very extreme and intolerant these days. 

I am hoping an announcement will be made that home deliveries can be allowed as well as buying from shops, though bars and large social gatherings remain not allowed. 

Edited by greeneking
clarity
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, madmitch said:

I read another article a few minute ago where Anutin stated that he won't consider lifting the ban. The link is here. https://www.thaienquirer.com/12365/anutin-denies-request-by-vendors-to-partially-open-alcohol-sales/ Not sure if links to the Thai Enquirer are allowed. This does not make good reading but as the guy has made more u-turns than the average Thai pickup driver then I wouldn't read too much into it.

Actually I would reach very much into it. This is the moment many of the nations' top tea-totalers have been waiting for. A time where they can finally ban all consumption of alcohol. Mark my words, they won't lift it anytime in the next year. They will keep it in place because it's exactly what they want to be able to control people and finally push through their agenda of an alcohol free nation. 

They are the ultra hardcore wing of Buddhists. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, greeneking said:

The police are welcome to apply the laws about driving unsafely.  I wish they would.

I am hoping an announcement will be made that home deliveries can be allowed, though bars and large social gatherings remain not allowed.

Guaranteed that home deliver notion will not materialize. They will clamp down on the people more and more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greeneking said:

I am hoping an announcement will be made that home deliveries can be allowed, though bars and large social gatherings remain not allowed.

There's laws about driving unsafely? Knew it!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

it's not going to happen, Prayut asked for help from the Leo/Chang/Singha and other super riches and they played unconcerned (dumb) & deaf as a post,  now that's his (Prayut)  turn, pay back time

The government are cutting off their nose to spite their face! They are the ones going to be losing millions in revenue by extending the ban! It's only bloody mindedness on their part!!!

• Like 2

It is really interesting to watch how people start to panic when they can't have alcohol for some days. I like cold beers too but I also understand that the alcohol ban was a wise decision of the government even if myself miss my beers. There are for sure people that can handle their alcohol consumption. But sadly there are others too. It is not possible to ban the alcohol for such people only and so we all have to live with the ban. Some people are very desperate at the moment and alcohol could create many problems because of this. Crimes, violence, suicides, accidents and more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

The nations top teetallers=wowsers. Wowsers are nuisances at best and rarely in the ascendancy, in their prime they would also like to ban sex, gambling and anything that people enjoy. I am sure that they are trying their utmost to continue the ban as the poster who mentioned them alluded to. I am equally sure that should they be successful, the homemade alocohol industry will swing into production, if it hasn't already. I have made my own beer many times, and I'm sure the locals are adept at it. Then there is the huge tax shortfall that has to be made up, even from wowsers. #wowserspaytaxtoo

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, spermwhale said:

Seems to me that it is. So far why he has said is implemented. 

No, it's not up to him. He's just allowed to say it is. Hell, he's probably not even allowed to do that, but since when has that stopped him saying things he shouldn't. He's a useful idiot in the sense he helps keep a majority in parliament. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

They are all government appointed except Bangkok. Will do what the general says or lose their jobs.

Ours did and was booted into our laps from the province where he screwed up!

• Confused 1

Twenty plus pages just on drinking the reason the Association is lobbying the Government to end the ban just like comments there is lots of tax being lost from the Ban. One Health minister said after the Ban there will be 1 million drinkers going into shock I see the Ban being one of the first thing being listed to open if not expect more pages of upset drinkers?????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stocky said:

The government’s total income from alcohol sales amounted to 132.24 billion baht in 2019. That's 11 billion baht per month in lost tax revenues - a sobering thought.

The article says that is 132 billion "so far this year," which would be closer to 30 billion per month...but the press here commonly mistakes numeric facts.  No mention of wine, or whatever they call that prison <deleted> they sell here.

• Like 1