Booze industry urges govt to lift prohibition

snoop1130

The real problem is, that after the ban Thailand will be flooded with beer, which has been sitting at outside temperatures for a month, and is virtually dead. I know that Thai folks don't mind, but I do. Besides, both main breweries have massive logistic problems to transport their beer in due time, especially into the very South. Boon Rawd (Leo and Singha) are the worst. Even at regular times, they do not manage to transport their beer faster than one month after filling the bottles. Chang is a little better. Sometimes you can find Chang beer, which may be only 10 days old.  Now we have to wait until the old stock of p*ss is being sold.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Where I've been getting my beer from has run out. There are no deliveries as mentioned in the article.

Still getting deliveries where I live, although the selection is starting to dwindle.

We have a good old pìssup everyday!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I draw the line at Archa.

It would be only drinkable after 2 weeks in the Gobi desert.

Makes me laugh when people say they like the taste of Archa, they don't they just like the price of it. Penny pinching bâstards!

Edited by Canuck1966

31 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

when did Heineken buy Thai Asia Pacific Brewery Company Limited ?

I thought they were owned by Thai Life Insurance Public Co. Ltd.

A long time ago Asia Pacific Brewery Company Limited ? all controlled from Singapore 

14 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Well I think most importantly the ban means that people are better off spending their beer money on food or paying bills. Also it means less people queuing up for food hand outs that bring people into close contact. Drunks don't follow rules.

Rubbish. I can afford both and 7/11 deliver whatever you want. Well except for booze as gov placed stupid ban. Interestingly no other country did.  

I don't like rules, especially stupid rules.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Do we know for sure that the ban ends on May 1st?

There has been no announcement re end booze ban. The booze ban as I understand it was regional govs. They all just followed each other. Was Phuket the first? Anyway the BS should be ended April 31

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, madmitch said:

I read another article a few minute ago where Anutin stated that he won't consider lifting the ban. The link is here. https://www.thaienquirer.com/12365/anutin-denies-request-by-vendors-to-partially-open-alcohol-sales/ Not sure if links to the Thai Enquirer are allowed. This does not make good reading but as the guy has made more u-turns than the average Thai pickup driver then I wouldn't read too much into it.

He does not need to consider it in any case. The decision is someone else's.

10 hours ago, Zarathustratos said:

I'm confused as to why these articles are talking about "the government". 

As far as I'm aware there is no national ban. The bans were put in place by the individual provincial governors. It's up to them whether or not the bans stay.

I think you will find that the individual provincial governors must conform with what "the government" tells them to do, if not, they will no longer be provincial governor, and will be moved or dismissed.

This applies to almost everything, not just alcohol bans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vogie said:

I hope Leo, Chang and Singha are banned permanently and only allow sales of Cheers and Tiger.

For me I would ban all beers, it only for the common people anyway !!????

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Oldie said:
14 hours ago, sungod said:

The big breweries have some clout, or at least their owners do.....Lets hope they are in favour

I was wondering that the government was powerful and brave enough to introduce such an alcohol ban. But they did - this speaks for the government. 

The government didn't introduce the alcohol ban, municipal and provincial governors did. It's up to them to rescind it.

14 hours ago, redwood1 said:

And why is Chang and Singha not also asking for the ban to be lifted? They should be speaking the loudest that is unless they are being rewarded to be quiet....

When the owners of the Thai breweries in question are arguably in that "20 richest Thai family" bracket that the PM has asked to contribute more, they've probably already agreed that they are contributing enough and thus the alcohol ban will continue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

i don't know anyone that hasnt been able to still get hold of alcohol

Me, you cant buy here for all the tea in China the places we used to get from are shut down people are to scared to sell you some

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There has been no announcement re end booze ban. The booze ban as I understand it was regional govs. They all just followed each other. Was Phuket the first? Anyway the BS should be ended April 31

At midnight

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah but TAPB who make it here is not owned by Heineken that Iam aware of.

They are part owned by Heineken.

Heineken are a global client of ours (the company I work for) and you would be surprised how much of everything they own.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 3:37 AM, sungod said:

The big breweries have some clout, or at least their owners do.....Lets hope they are in favour

But these are just ' associations ' not the producers.

Don't see any of the big producers names in that list. Where is Boon Rawd for example ?

This request makes a nice bark but needs more teeth.