Has Covid 19 Killed City Living for Many Millions of People

Pilotman

On 4/29/2020 at 6:14 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Does the OP believe that it would even be possible for everyone currently in cities to leave them? I do not.

In the West: no bloody way... In China, probably not - and also they'll pin everyone down!

Here? More people than you'd think!

In my 5-6 years of commuting here & then a couple of years living I have not met many who go back 2-3 generations in Bangkok, and that is in the middle class & business milieu ????

Indian families in Sukhumvit might be the exception, I would think - but most people would have some place to hang on outside of the big cities.

• Like 1

Social distancing to prevent the spread of the virus is easier to do outside big cities .

The risk of coming into close contact with an infected person (or something that person touched recently ) , is consequently much lower somewhere where there are fewer people ...

mauGR's link in post #2 suggests that Covid might be able to adhere to tiny particles of air pollution and spread this way ( no proven yet ) ... that means life in big polluted cities might be of higher risk . 

I do not think that it can spread this way , but , if it could , better avoid city life ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Sir, you don't know what you are missing. Just bird songs and great views across the valley, almost all the way to Cambodia, misty mountains some 30 km away.  Beautiful and so relaxing.  Working from home, I look out of the window on this view and it gladdens the heart. 

I know it's not all bad. I also like the idea about a hut on an empty beach. But then, after a while, it gets boring. And everything is so far away...

• Like 2

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I know it's not all bad. I also like the idea about a hut on an empty beach. But then, after a while, it gets boring. And everything is so far away...

depends who shares it with you and how full the fridge is? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Social distancing to prevent the spread of the virus is easier to do outside big cities .

The risk of coming into close contact with an infected person (or something that person touched recently ) , is consequently much lower somewhere where there are fewer people ...

mauGR's link in post #2 suggests that Covid might be able to adhere to tiny particles of air pollution and spread this way ( no proven yet ) ... that means life in big polluted cities might be of higher risk . 

I do not think that it can spread this way , but , if it could , better avoid city life ...

Not to mention electromagnetic waves, which, according to a few scientists are bad for immune systems, while the official narrative say "there's not enough evidence" to say so.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you get bored on the beach you are just with the wrong partner.

The whole point of a beach is that it IS far away from everything. The weekly/ monthly shop then becomes an adventure.

If it's close to everything it's like Pattaya.

• Like 2

I would not leave my country living now for an extra pension. Having lived in several big, polluted cities over the years, including Wuhan for 2 years in 2003 I now see my situation as very fortunate. Even back then Wuhan was ranked the 10th most poluted city in China. It could be hot and you'd never see the sun, and forget stargazing.

Nope, I will happily make the 1 hour drive to the nearest 7/11, althought 2 out of the 3 I heard are now closed down.

Cities are still great for breaks and escapes but I would never consider moving to Bangkok or Pattaya or any of the other 'popular' cities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I retire in just under three years, and after living in Bangkok for 41 years, will be moving upcountry. Admittedly not a village in the middle of nowhere, but a small provincial 'town' and it scares the bejeesus out of me. My biggest concern is boredom. At least if you are in a city you can pop out to do something or go somewhere, even if that is only a shopping center. I will be 85kms from the provincial capital, and a 2.5 hour drive to Udon or Khon Kaen city (the other nearest provincial capitals), so that is out of the question.  And there is only so much fishing or cycling you can do to fill your days before that becomes a chore and no longer enjoyable. 

46 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I retire in just under three years, and after living in Bangkok for 41 years, will be moving upcountry. Admittedly not a village in the middle of nowhere, but a small provincial 'town' and it scares the bejeesus out of me. My biggest concern is boredom. At least if you are in a city you can pop out to do something or go somewhere, even if that is only a shopping center. I will be 85kms from the provincial capital, and a 2.5 hour drive to Udon or Khon Kaen city (the other nearest provincial capitals), so that is out of the question.  And there is only so much fishing or cycling you can do to fill your days before that becomes a chore and no longer enjoyable. 

Why will you move? Cost and money?

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why will you move? Cost and money?

Although I expect the cost of living to be much lower, that is not the main reason for moving.  And I could afford to retire in Bangkok as I own my house so rent does not enter the equation.  I suppose the main reason is so my wife can be closer to her aging parents and her sisters and and I will no longer have work tying me to the city. Don't get me wrong, I do want to give it a go. But I am concerned about keeping myself occupied. I suppose I could try to find a job to do or open a noodle stall (I do not need a work permit or the money) but then it would not be retirement, would it? 

I must admit I grew up in the countryside in a small village in the UK and I do like the countryside here too. But liking a place and having something to do are two different things.

Initially I will hold on to my house in Bangkok just in case I can't handle life in the sticks, but if things work out, I will sell my house in Bangers too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you get bored on the beach you are just with the wrong partner.

The whole point of a beach is that it IS far away from everything. The weekly/ monthly shop then becomes an adventure.

If it's close to everything it's like Pattaya.

I have had my most sexy, exciting, and loving times on the beach in the tropics and this will surprise you, some of them in Pattaya, albeit, many many years ago.

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kurtf said:

In my not so humble opinion, I find city dwellers shallow without any substantial values. They are arrogant and consider people who live in the countryside as beneath them and ignorant. At least that is what I have observed in my 80 years on this planet.

Living proof people who live in the countryside are beneath us and ignorant