It's a bad day for this cabby! A Thai customer rips him off then the police are uninterested

webfact

It's a bad day for this cabby! A Thai customer rips him off then the police are uninterested

5pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media 77kaoded reported on the case of a 37 year old taxi driver called Thaweephon who went to the Muang Nonthaburi police after a passenger ripped him off. 

"Rujira Eva" had contacted the driver on the Taxi OK app while he was driving in Ram Intra. 

He agreed to go and pick her up in Phibul Songkhram Soi 11.

When he neared the location she persuaded him over the phone to drop into a convenience store to buy drinks and food to the value of 127 baht. She also asked him to add 400 baht to her True Wallet account. She'd settle up when they met, she said. 

5pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

However, when he got to the soi with 247 baht on the meter and she said she'd be right down to meet him, he subsequently found himself blocked. 

He went back to the convenience store to borrow a staffer's phone to call her. The phone was now off. 

So he called the police who apparently said:

"Haven't you seen the news? People are getting conned all the time. What do you expect us to do?"

Thaweephon said he was busy earning a living and, unlike some, he didn't have time to follow the news.

At the police station he found himself at the center of a parking row. An officer started making trouble because Thaweephon's car was parked out front. 

The unhappy taxi driver said he was just parked where the public who have a complaint are permitted to park. 

He told the media that he mistakenly thought the police were there to help the people.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-28

I drove a taxi in Boston (US) during the 1970s.  I hated jobs going into housing projects because it wasn't unusual for a fare to jump out and take off into the buildings without paying the fare.  This came out of my pocket.

If we called the cops, they'd ask: "Do you know what apartment number they are in?  Can't send an officer unless you tell us what apartment"

Taxi drivers get dumped on by law enforcement everywhere.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dddave said:

I drove a taxi in Boston (US) during the 1970s.  I hated jobs going into housing projects because it wasn't unusual for a fare to jump out and take off into the buildings without paying the fare.  This came out of my pocket.

If we called the cops, they'd ask: "Do you know what apartment number they are in?  Can't send an officer unless you tell us what apartment"

I drove a taxi in England for a few months about 20 years ago. The guy who's taxi I was driving said always ask people which route they want to go by. Some people will convince themselves you're trying to take them 'around the houses' to run the meter up, even when you're not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

I drove a taxi in England for a few months about 20 years ago. The guy who's taxi I was driving said always ask people which route they want to go by. Some people will convince themselves you're trying to take them 'around the houses' to run the meter up, even when you're not.

Whenever I was in a taxi I always used to think that if the driver asked me which route I wanted to take he was trying to find out if I knew the area and if I didn't know the route it meant he could take me "around the houses".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wouldn't want to travel in his cab anyway, the screen and other equipment sitting on top of the screen means that his view ahead is quite blocked, he can't see other vehicles, people, the roadway etc., ahead.

Is there a meter fitted?

Edited by scorecard

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Did the Cabby also tell the Police how many costumers he ripped off before Karma did the right thing (payback) .????

• Haha 2

Driving cabs has got to be the pits, did it on weekends while studying, shifts were for 12 hours and you would average about $20AUS tax free back then which wasn't a lot considering it was weekend work as well, and trust you me, you see what people really are all about in a cab.

I remember one night having driven this girl for about 10 kilometres into the 30 kilometre fare, having started a good conversation, when all of a sudden she said to me, look I will be honest with you, I don't have any money, but I will give you a BJ ok.

Don't get all excited fellas, it didn't eventuate, I told her to get out, and she asked me why I declined her when other taxi drivers jumped at the opportunity every other Saturday night, I didn't have the heart to tell her, that she just didn't do it for me, I said look, I have a living to make and BJ's don't pay for my long shift, she wasn't happy, even slammed the door on the way out.

Only one regret, and that is, had she been at least a little pretty I would have forgone the fare for the distance, desperate times, desperate measures.

8 hours ago, dddave said:

In the 80's I drove a taxi in Australia. I picked up a fare on a taxi rank outside a department store - a woman with many shopping bags. Drove her to her destination, fare was about $8. Once I stopped the car she started getting out saying her husband will come down in a bit to pay me. Didn't feel right so I told her to leave the bags in the car. She refused and I managed to grab some of the bags and locked the doors. Told her to go get my money if she wants the bags. Her husband came down and started arguing with me. Demanded the bags and said I should have made sure she had money for the fare before I took her... Took about 10 minutes for them to understand no money no bags... about a week later I saw that lady go into another cab in the same spot. That cab was 2 in front of me on the rank. Luckily I got a fare soon after and I caught up with the other driver at the red lights. Warned him about her. Don't know what happened though (he was from a different cab company).

Another scumbag was a young guy, totally stoned. At his destination the meter showed $5.60. He dropped $5 in my hand saying that was enough... I said no problems. Put the car in gear and started pulling out (with him in the car). He asked "where are we going?" I said "police station". He asked "seriously? for 60 cents?" I said "I am not playing for my money. I actually have to work for it, so either you pay or we go to the police..." He paid ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Driving cabs has got to be the pits, did it on weekends while studying, shifts were for 12 hours and you would average about $20AUS tax free back then which wasn't a lot considering it was weekend work as well, and trust you me, you see what people really are all about in a cab.

I remember one night having driven this girl for about 10 kilometres into the 30 kilometre fare, having started a good conversation, when all of a sudden she said to me, look I will be honest with you, I don't have any money, but I will give you a BJ ok.

Don't get all excited fellas, it didn't eventuate, I told her to get out, and she asked me why I declined her when other taxi drivers jumped at the opportunity every other Saturday night, I didn't have the heart to tell her, that she just didn't do it for me, I said look, I have a living to make and BJ's don't pay for my long shift, she wasn't happy, even slammed the door on the way out.

Only one regret, and that is, had she been at least a little pretty I would have forgone the fare for the distance, desperate times, desperate measures.

What year was that? In the 80's I got myself a hungry shift and was expected to earn $140 / shift (split 50/50 with the owner, gas on him). As I was new the first few weeks I straggled to make even $100 going 14-15 hours a day. As I got more experience and knew what times and what locations are best I managed to make the $140 in 6-8 hours. At a later stage I returned to drive night shifts. I'd usually be happy with $100-120 / shift and made it in less than 4 hours. One of my best shifts was $100 in 3 fares and 2 hours...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

What year was that? In the 80's I got myself a hungry shift and was expected to earn $140 / shift (split 50/50 with the owner, gas on him). As I was new the first few weeks I straggled to make even $100 going 14-15 hours a day. As I got more experience and knew what times and what locations are best I managed to make the $140 in 6-8 hours. At a later stage I returned to drive night shifts. I'd usually be happy with $100-120 / shift and made it in less than 4 hours. One of my best shifts was $100 in 3 fares and 2 hours...

Late 80's, I did the night shifts on the weekends, on Saturday I would start at 3pm and get the cab back at 6am as the owner would start at that time, so he would give me the extra hours for free and the best part of the shift was at change over, 2am-3am as other taxi's had to return back to their bases for waiting drivers to change shifts.

I used to do the eastern suburbs of Sydney, in and out, always had a fare, used the radio a lot as well before they brought in the rule that you had to be on a rank to get a radio job.

On Sundays I would start at 3pm and finish around 1pm, again averaging about $20 an hour, so for the weekend I would make about $440 tax free which wasn't bad $'s, but if you worked for the railways or other for example, you would get time and a half for Saturday's and double time for Sunday's, but on the other hand you would only work 16 hours in total and have to pay tax, so it would have been pretty much on par, albeit it the cab driving was harder, but more flexible, work when you wanted, call it in when your not.

It served its purposes for the time, but would never do it again, too much trash wanting to get home, and little pay, but I do remember some great fares, one which took me to never never land (Penrith) from Sydney and you knew would have no chance of getting a cab back, but as soon as I turned the corner after dropping off a fare, I was hailed over by a guy in the middle of nowhere, door locked, window down a little, I said where you going, he said Sydney, I said sorry mate, but can you show me you can pay the far, pulled out a fat wallet of money, door open, g-day and off we went, yee ha, I made most of my shift money in 4 hours, but didn't stop, made $350 that night, but at the end of the shift, I had a runner, $20 fare, I was livered, but said to myself, you made enough, take it on the chin, was pretty hard to swallow but, could have run them over if I saw them on the street....lol 

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Late 80's, I did the night shifts on the weekends, on Saturday I would start at 3pm and get the cab back at 6am as the owner would start at that time, so he would give me the extra hours for free and the best part of the shift was at change over, 2am-3am as other taxi's had to return back to their bases for waiting drivers to change shifts.

I used to do the eastern suburbs of Sydney, in and out, always had a fare, used the radio a lot as well before they brought in the rule that you had to be on a rank to get a radio job.

On Sundays I would start at 3pm and finish around 1pm, again averaging about $20 an hour, so for the weekend I would make about $440 tax free which wasn't bad $'s, but if you worked for the railways or other for example, you would get time and a half for Saturday's and double time for Sunday's, but on the other hand you would only work 16 hours in total and have to pay tax, so it would have been pretty much on par, albeit it the cab driving was harder, but more flexible, work when you wanted, call it in when your not.

It served its purposes for the time, but would never do it again, too much trash wanting to get home, and little pay, but I do remember some great fares, one which took me to never never land (Penrith) from Sydney and you knew would have no chance of getting a cab back, but as soon as I turned the corner after dropping off a fare, I was hailed over by a guy in the middle of nowhere, door locked, window down a little, I said where you going, he said Sydney, I said sorry mate, but can you show me you can pay the far, pulled out a fat wallet of money, door open, g-day and off we went, yee ha, I made most of my shift money in 4 hours, but didn't stop, made $350 that night, but at the end of the shift, I had a runner, $20 fare, I was livered, but said to myself, you made enough, take it on the chin, was pretty hard to swallow but, could have run them over if I saw them on the street....lol 

Ok, the numbers here make much more sense. In your previous post you wrote netting $20 / shift....

I also have many memorable fares from those days.

I had a fare out of a 5* hotel in the city. As soon as were took off he said he wanted a girl. I offered to take him to a brothel but he wanted to pick a girl and take her to the hotel. I thought about it for a minute or so, stopped at another 5* hotel and grabbed one of those free "what to do in town" magazines. Gabe it took the passenger who then asked me to pick a service and make the call for him... stopped at a pay phone, made the call, ordered a girl and drove him back to the hotel. Fare was $9, he gave me $20 ????

I had this guy going from just outside the city to west Melbourne. Friday night. As soon as he got in the cab I realized he was drunk - like REALLY drunk. I reckoned the fate would be about $10 so I asked him if he had the money. He put his hand in the pocket and shook it so I could hear the coins. I asked again if he was sure he had enough. He said yes. So I started driving, pretty sure I won't get paid. As we got to the area he started directing me and the final destination was a military base. Apparently he was an officer... the fate was $11, he gave me $20 ????

Later that night I was robbed by 2 punks. All they took was the coins holder so probably no more than $20, and a lighter...and that was my last night shift in a taxi....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Ok, the numbers here make much more sense. In your previous post you wrote netting $20 / shift....

I also have many memorable fares from those days.

I had a fare out of a 5* hotel in the city. As soon as were took off he said he wanted a girl. I offered to take him to a brothel but he wanted to pick a girl and take her to the hotel. I thought about it for a minute or so, stopped at another 5* hotel and grabbed one of those free "what to do in town" magazines. Gabe it took the passenger who then asked me to pick a service and make the call for him... stopped at a pay phone, made the call, ordered a girl and drove him back to the hotel. Fare was $9, he gave me $20 ????

I had this guy going from just outside the city to west Melbourne. Friday night. As soon as he got in the cab I realized he was drunk - like REALLY drunk. I reckoned the fate would be about $10 so I asked him if he had the money. He put his hand in the pocket and shook it so I could hear the coins. I asked again if he was sure he had enough. He said yes. So I started driving, pretty sure I won't get paid. As we got to the area he started directing me and the final destination was a military base. Apparently he was an officer... the fate was $11, he gave me $20 ????

Later that night I was robbed by 2 punks. All they took was the coins holder so probably no more than $20, and a lighter...and that was my last night shift in a taxi....

Yeh sorry about that, was meant to be $20 per hour, not shift, so Saturday nights was usually $300 for a 15 hours shift, sometime a little more, sometimes a little less, and Sundays about $200, so I could end up with $500 for the weekend.

What a bad experience for you, yuk.

When I stopped working, it wasn't because I got robbed, but I picked up two guys from Kings Cross, I usually turned my light to engaged and locked the doors when going through there, but had just dropped off a fare from Bondi Beach to the cross and these two guys got in and wanted to go to Glebe before I could lock my doors, short fare, so I took them, they looked shifty and nervous, when we got there, one got out and the other said, my mate is just going to pick something up, so we will wait here and then when he comes you can take us back to the cross, ok I said, so we sat and waited, metre running, and his mate returned within 5 minutes, no talking in the car since then, except the guy asked me if I had family, I said, yes a wife and a newborn, he didn't say anything further and I didn't ask him anything, little eye contact in the mirror, but I was nervous, then his mate gets in the cab and says go go go, so I took off, and they were looking in this small bag, good one his mate says, anyone see yah, nah was the reply, then the guy who was sitting in the cab waiting for his mate, said to me, here's $50 that's more than enough for the fare, right, sure I said, and he then put his foot on my consul and said have you ever seen us right, he had a gun strapped to his ankle, with me saying, <deleted>, nope, never seen you, good he said, because I have your taxi ID number and can track you down, I said, no need, haven't seen you, I just drive people around, never seen you, didn't pick any up from the cross today, its all good, going home to the wife and newborn, just another day at the office.

After that fare, I took the cab back, made nothing, not even enough to pay for the shift, it came out of my pocket, never drove again, wasn't worth it, and there were stories of cab drivers getting robbed and killed, the realisation set in for me.

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

not even enough to pay for the shift

What do you mean pay for the shift? The way it worked in Melbourne was split the meter 50/50 with the owner, gas paid by the owner. Some owners wanted 50% of the extras as well, most owners let you keep the extras and of course the tips (not that there were many tips) 

why does the headline reference nationality? what is the relevance? a taxi driver was ripped off by a customer. not the most exceptional or interesting post, but anyway, lets keep nationality/race out of topics where they have zero relevance.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

why does the headline reference nationality? what is the relevance? a taxi driver was ripped off by a customer. not the most exceptional or interesting post, but anyway, lets keep nationality/race out of topics where they have zero relevance.

Do us all a favor and ease up on the virtue signaling. 

Edited by donnacha

On 4/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, nahkit said:

Whenever I was in a taxi I always used to think that if the driver asked me which route I wanted to take he was trying to find out if I knew the area and if I didn't know the route it meant he could take me "around the houses".

He was trying to prevent an argument. There's always at least 3 routes. He cannot predict the traffic or lights.

10 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

What do you mean pay for the shift? The way it worked in Melbourne was split the meter 50/50 with the owner, gas paid by the owner. Some owners wanted 50% of the extras as well, most owners let you keep the extras and of course the tips (not that there were many tips) 

Sydney cabs worked like this, there was a rate for Monday to Wednesday, then it went up on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Sunday was the cheapest, if you did the night shift you also had to have the cab washed and cleaned inside, usually $10, as for the Saturday shift, used to be $150 back then, although I got it for $120, as for gas, everyone had to fill it at there cost at the closest gas station to the base. 

Sydney cabs went as high as $300,000 at one stage back then, then dropped in half.

On 4/28/2020 at 5:15 PM, AhFarangJa said:

:cheesy::clap2::cheesy::clap2::cheesy::clap2:,,,,,,,,It's the way he tells them.....really it is............

in england the police aiways say they are too busy, even when my neighbour reported gunshots the police took more than 9 hours to attend at which time they found a bullit in the wall of her house.

I will make a slight correction when the kids playing football accross the road from my mum the ball hit my mum's window and rested in her front garden at which point she stole the ball, and 20 mins later the police arrived and told her to give the ball back or they would arrest her for stealing it.....the father of the children had left the family a few years earlier but it seems his freemason membership still had its persks for his children

• Like 1