How many of us are stuck outside Thailand due to virus? ?

sirineou

On 4/30/2020 at 9:13 PM, RichardColeman said:

Stuck in the UK in a bed and breakfast (my house being rented out until 2022), had to return to uk for hossy appointment and check property and then hit travel ban. Miss the wife and babe all the time - don't expect to get back before another 4-6 months at the earliest with the lockdowns - actually think I will not get back to renew my retirement extension due in January. 

On the plus side - I CAN BUT AS MUCH BEER AS I LIKE.

A friend of mine who is in Australia at the moment is also worrying about his yearly visa, I wonder if Thai immigration will show leniency towards people stuck abroad unable to extend their yearly visa?

• Like 1

With a sad face and heavy heart, I have to report that I will miss my regular annular Jul, Aug, Sep. Southeast Asia (mostly in Thailand) holiday this year!  I will remain mostly homebound in Scottsdale,

Arizona.  I share the pain and disappointment of many others!!!  Dr. WJW

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 3:13 PM, RichardColeman said:

Stuck in the UK in a bed and breakfast (my house being rented out until 2022), had to return to uk for hossy appointment and check property and then hit travel ban. Miss the wife and babe all the time - don't expect to get back before another 4-6 months at the earliest with the lockdowns - actually think I will not get back to renew my retirement extension due in January. 

On the plus side - I CAN BUT AS MUCH BEER AS I LIKE.

Another one living Thailand and sponging of the good old NHS in the U.K. just what the U.K. needs at the moment. Stay in Thailand next time you need treatment not needed here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

On 4/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, 473geo said:

For me the virus is a double edged sword, my spring visit is postponed much to the disappointment my family and myself. I do miss them all, and my time at home. However this is not unusual as I work in the UK and we are used to long periods apart. I would intend to re-arrange for say November but if this is a hardship then soon to be in Thailand full time may even push my visit back again. It is the end result that counts the main thing is we all get through this.

All good at home, kids are off school so my wife gets a bit of help on the farm, she is a real grafter, always busy doing something, both the kids and the stock are in good shape, we could do with some rain to enable the plough of the rice land but it will no doubt appear. 

As usual the village gossips noting my prolonged absence are spouting the usual nonsense, luckily my wife is strong and easily rises above it.

The other side of the virus is my work situation in the Uk, currently on furlough, unsure of my employment prospects, there maybe opportunity to benefit if my company decides my services are no longer required ???? a windfall that would see my arrival in Thailand a little earlier. However if my employers cash flow is a little slow this maybe an option they choose to avoid

So yes all good and plenty to think about

This is statutory redundancy pay government guidelines if that’s what your ‘windfall' appertained to

You’ll get:

• half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
  • one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
  • one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older

Length of service is capped at 20 years.

If you were made redundant on or after 6 April 2020, your weekly pay is capped at £538 and the maximum statutory redundancy pay you can get is £16,140. 

On 5/1/2020 at 4:10 AM, OnTheGround said:

From another local news site April 30:

Thai Government spokesperson says they are aware of foreigners with valid visas trying to return to Thailand, looking at situation.

Don’t confuse'aware' with 'care'. They really don’t care and naive to expect any consideration outside of normal protocols for opening up tourist visits generally.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

This is statutory redundancy pay government guidelines if that’s what your ‘windfall' appertained to

You’ll get:

• half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
  • one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
  • one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older

Length of service is capped at 20 years.

If you were made redundant on or after 6 April 2020, your weekly pay is capped at £538 and the maximum statutory redundancy pay you can get is £16,140. 

Unless one has an employment contract with a differing redundancy agreement

One stuck here in Swindon with a house full of junk and a for sale sign outside waiting for probate a buyer and the tip to open now on universal credit if things weren't depressing enough.

Missed my boys 6th birthday BA still not refunded any flights surrounded by empty wine bottles and a funeral to pay for anyone top that????? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 4/30/2020 at 8:59 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm trapped in Thailand, you're better off where you are it isn't much fun here.

No alcohol sales for the next 3 months by the looks of it.

Why not start drinking tomorrow May 3 when the alcohol ban is lifted? If you didn't have any booze or beer at home when the ban kicked in, then it was just bad planning. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Why not start drinking tomorrow May 3 when the alcohol ban is lifted? If you didn't have any booze or beer at home when the ban kicked in, then it was just bad planning. 

Just recovering from lunchtime cocktails.

2 bottles of Rum left, tomorrow I'll buy another 4 in case they change their minds ...... again.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

On 4/30/2020 at 9:43 AM, sirineou said:

Thank god I have someone taking care of my home and car

Interesting choice of words. You'd score big points on that other thread...'the longest running thread ever'! :vampire:

Anyhoo...I left on 6 March to take care of some vital business in The States and return the end of March. Locked out of Thailand so still stuck here pissing away money. Wife and house in Kanchanaburi...3 dogs and 3 cats + an apartment in Bangkok and I'm trapped here indefinitely. Miss all of them terribly. Next concern is getting back before my Extension expires...and that is not until 3 January! 

Making the best of it though. Spring migration (birds) in full swing here, so getting some great pics of some cool species. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

14 day quarantine? NO PROBLEM!!! 

And I'd pay every single baht it would cost, think most of us would. And with 1000s of empty hotels, surely lots of them would be willing to open as a quaranten? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And I'd pay every single baht it would cost, think most of us would. And with 1000s of empty hotels, surely lots of them would be willing to open as a quaranten? 

And generate Some business for Thailand's distressed hotel industry. . 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 10:13 PM, RichardColeman said:

Miss the wife and babe all the time - don't expect to get back before another 4-6 months at the earliest with the lockdowns E.

4-6 months ?!! Is that due to the UK lockdown or Thai? ... seems a bit pessimistic? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, victorpeeke said:

Yes, locked out due to the airline cancelling the flight (March 18) back to Bangkok. Being stuck in Sri Lanka wasn't the worst thing in the world. Good hotel. Room overlooking the sea/beach for $12 a day. But not knowing for how long? The boredom! I headed back to the UK, North Wales to crash in with my brother. His surprise and greeting of me cannot be printed here on this 'family' forum due to the sensitivity of Thai Visa members, but it was along the lines of "go away!" In no uncertain terms. But we got over that. Like many others 'marooned' outside of Thailand, I have a lovely Thai wife of some 10 years and a son. Both of whom claim to miss me (but wife seems very happy!!) and Thailand is warmer than North Wales. My wife (ex government) spoke with her pals in immigration who said "patience, it will ease up, but if not we'll look at alternatives". Which there are. In the meantime I'm chilling out, plenty of amazing ales to drink here and not just 5 varieties of cat's p**s.... So patience is a virtue.  Now, back to making a steak and kidney pudding for dinner! And therein lies the problem, good English 'stodge' and an amazing selection of decent wines for less than 300 baht. 320 baht (£8) gets you an even better bottle. Getting fat(ter). Hurry up, I want to go home! 

IMG_20200501_110716.jpg

Where were you in SL?....I was considering popping over to SL for the Test match before the series got cancelled. In theory I could have been stuck there.

6 hours ago, QPRFC said:

'Stuck' in Vietnam with a beautiful beach just minutes walk away (rather than a flight away), nice apartment (same price as CM but new with great air con, big TV, bills and fast wifi all included), gf (10 years younger than Thai gf), everything open for business, small beers 17 baht, safe from virus, everybody honestly friendly without requiring a transaction for a real smile, no tourists here either (except us lucky stranded ones).....I've landed right on my feet!

I wish others not as fortunate as myself Chok Dee Krap. 

Sounds good whereabouts is that? Been meaning to get over to Vietnam, one of the only places in SE Asia I've not been.

• Like 1

I have a Thai wife in buriram and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to get into Thailand once this all lifts. Is anyone having any luck getting info from the Thai Immigrantion Bureau website. I couldn't find anything not easy to navigate 

All the measures are for the categories allowed now.(Thai nationals, diplomats, work permits, aid officials) and the requirements are for that group,  so far unless we belong to any of these categories the borders are closed until May 30th , by that time if borders are open to the general public, I assume the covid situation will be assessed and requirements will be revised.  and could vary depending on the country where one comes and the covid 19 danger there. I suspect they will require a negative Covid19 test and probably medical insurance that would cover Covid19 in Thailand.

So stay tuned, like you we are all in the dark.  

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Right on. I've told wife, brother and anyone who'd listen...let me in and AT MY EXPENSE test me and quarantine me for 2 weeks in a decent hotel. ALL expenses paid by ME...no prob! 

Do not expect any government in this world to behave logically now.
Borders with other countries are closed, although there are significantly lower infection rates there - because "everybody does it".
Some countries are satisfied with medium growth rates of infections, some want zero new infections - because "neighboring countries do the same".
By the way zero new infections seems to be the goal of the Thai government, which means that there will be no international tourism until a vaccination is available. The collateral damage in the population does not seem to be important.

My hope is that some countries in Asia will gradually open their borders in combination with a test procedure, then the Thai government will dare to follow this example.

The airports shut the day after I paid for my ticket back! I'd already given notice on my flat so I'm lucky not to be homeless.  Plus the US is so gawd awful infected. Hope I can get back into Th in June before I'm driven mad by rednecks in the heartland who do NOT believe in covid-19, social distancing, etc. It's the flu...right? Hard to believe that Thailand is worse.