Video: Illegal teen goes through red light and slams into motorcycle - mum says "sue me"

webfact

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If only people would take the time to glance right and left whilst starting off when the lights change to green then so many of these accidents could be avoided. Everyone knows that people run red lights here but it is still in your own hands to avoid such incidents. 

Well, for someone who has been riding a bike in Bkk for decades, I can assure you that the first line (motorcyclists usually) do look right, left and definitely wait even when the light is green for them allowing late speeding motorists to pass.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If only people would take the time to glance right and left whilst starting off when the lights change to green then so many of these accidents could be avoided. Everyone knows that people run red lights here but it is still in your own hands to avoid such incidents. 

Obviously that is what the cars did. Those 2 motorcycles were driving hell bent for leather; and, "timed" that light perfectly. Unfortunate for them that is never a good idea in Thailand....anywhere in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Well as Paul Calf says on stage: "most men - but not you lot of course - just want a good kicking. And most women - not you lot out there of course - just need a good shagging."

Paul and Pauline Calf, legends!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The teen plows into a motorcyclist and his girlfriend on their way home causing injury and damage. He flees the scene.

Typical, take them to court, the CCTV shows everything.

As several posters have mentioned, IF the rider had PROCEEDED WITH CAUTION, when leaving the lights there would have been no collision. He left the line like Valentino Rossi, and did not look left or right. I am not saying the driver of the car was not wrong, it is obvious he is, however, It is well known how many moronic red light jumpers there are here. Learn to drive / ride defensively........it can save your life. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Illegal teen goes through red light and slams into motorcycle - mum says "sue me"

If the Law/Government/police aren't going to do Anything about Policing the Law/Road rules this will Keep on going . People Don't care about life or almost anything .Sue me attitude /Don't pay even guilty or Not guilty.cops do't do anything one sees them breaking the same Traffic Rules / Corruption Deals the people are born into this corruption and don't care attitude.they have been seeing parents/people doing everything wrong the just Don't Know better and If they Know they Don't give a FlyingFritz about it 

????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

True. I didn't see anyone look to see if it was safe to progress, Just blindly go when the light turned green. You just cannot do that in Thailand, ever. I always when walking across a road look both ways, even on a divided road. You have to to be safe, and twice I've avoided a nasty accident. Thais simply don't care.

31 minutes ago, digger70 said:

If the Law/Government/police aren't going to do Anything about Policing the Law/Road rules this will Keep on going . People Don't care about life or almost anything .Sue me attitude /Don't pay even guilty or Not guilty.cops do't do anything one sees them breaking the same Traffic Rules / Corruption Deals the people are born into this corruption and don't care attitude.they have been seeing parents/people doing everything wrong the just Don't Know better and If they Know they Don't give a FlyingFritz about it 

????

It's just part of the culture they are so proud of.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yes, a green light does not mean go, but proceed with caution. More important here in Thailand. 

12 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

Yes, a green light does not mean go, but proceed with caution. More important here in Thailand. 

sorry mate, but you are wrong.  Green means go as quickly as you can, amber/yellow, means accelerate quickly, red means go like the very devil. None of the colours has anything to do with 'caution', which is untranslatable into Thai.

Edited by Pilotman

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

I think you are wrong, being a minor, surely the parents are liable.

Not true.  You are criminally responsible if over 7 years old.  Under 7 and you can't be held responsible.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

16 is not legal to drive a car.  If it goes yo court, she loses big time!

Ha, ha, ha, but what if they don't have money.

Of course in western countrys it is possible you'll lose your car to pay, but in Thailand, ha, ha, ha.

10 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Are you the lawyer acting on behalf of the mother?

It seems like you are blaming the kids on the bike for their misfortune.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Antonymous said:

That would be nice but ...

The mother can't be sued as she was not driving the car. The injured parties can take the driver to court and if found guilty (surely he would be) they could be awarded a sum determined by the court. But getting paid is another matter entirely. Seems that the Mother ain't going to help in that regard.

Of course she is liable and can be sued. First check if she has money, then go for it.

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Of course she is liable and can be sued.

No she is not, in law at least.  Charges cannot be brought against her but of course a deal could be made with her.  If she wants nothing to do with it then that's her prerogative. 

22 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It is called defensive driving!  Always be aware of impending dangers!

Avoid an accident at all costs as even if you are in the right and the person at fault pays, you still lose, I speak from experience. In this case buy a large sledge hammer and fix up the car the 16 year old was driving so he doesn't forget about the time he ran a red light.

I suspect it will be a 500 baht fine and a slap on the wrist for the driver.  Given the recklessness of drivers here in Thailand, I think the motorcycle driver should have been more careful.  I always have my head on a swivel here.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, Antonymous said:

The mother can't be sued as she was not driving the car. The injured parties can take the driver to court and if found guilty (surely he would be) they could be awarded a sum determined by the court. But getting paid is another matter entirely. Seems that the Mother ain't going to help in that regard.

Unless the mother knowing allowed an unlicensed driver to take the car which in this case appears to be the situation.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:09 AM, Antonymous said:

that may apply in other counties but here the owner can be held liable for the acts of the driver.  Probably so that all the blame can not be placed on a person hired to drive a car.  

Check your Por Ror Bor to find a little about this.