Rental market has imploded, landlords offer crazy discounts for tenants -- my experience with searching for a condo for rent this week

Ecosudmon

On 5/2/2020 at 5:37 AM, Pilotman said:

I am not at all sure that I would live in a condo if it was offered for free, never mind paying. 

Sounds like you are looking at low budget Condos.  Suggest you widen your options to look at condos that cater to clientele with more than one tooth in their head.  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Sounds like you are looking at low budget Condos.  Suggest you widen your options to look at condos that cater to clientele with more than one tooth in their head.  ????

and pay 30,000 pm, no thanks, no condo is worth living in, even the most palatial, because you can always find a much better house for the same or less money.   

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

and pay 30,000 pm, no thanks, no condo is worth living in, even the most palatial, because you can always find a much better house for the same or less money.   

Houses are hard to find that are central, those in town are just grotty 2 up, 2 down old terraced/ townhouse places set in 60 tw of space, and you could spit from your lounge into your neighbours. If you can live 10km out you can be in a 1/2 rai pool villa.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I mostly find big mouth cheap charlie people who pretend to get better than me but at the end just live in their dreams and pay more because they know nothing.

They are usually the ones paying their Thai partner 25k baht a month, or more, and then want to tell you how you are paying too much for something. ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

They are usually the ones paying their Thai partner 25k baht a month, or more, and then want to tell you how you are paying too much for something. ????

How can they be cheap charlie if paying their partner 25K a month?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

How can they be cheap charlie if paying their partner 25K a month?

Because they think 25k baht a month is cheap, and then want to tell you how you are getting ripped off on paying 90 baht a beer somewhere.  ????

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Because they think 25k baht a month is cheap, and then want to tell you how you are getting ripped off on paying 90 baht a beer somewhere.  ????

Cheap charlie's don't have 25K to give to partners so you're wrong.

This is off topic, it's about rental prices, so here's my input on that.

Mate is renting a nice house on Pratumnak ( i own and only use occasionally ), he pays 45K a month and to get that price paid a year up front. Anyway his land lady owns several properties and is trying to sell them coz she's moving to Oz, there's minimal discount on price.

We're going round to look at a 197sqm 3 bedroom price on a condo ( also on Pratumnak ) she wants 6M for ( which seems cheap ), i will try and get her bottom price but don't expect much less than 6M.

If it's nice, i'll offer 3M.

It's in Ruamchok 2 i think.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Cheap charlie's don't have 25K to give to partners so you're wrong.

This is off topic, it's about rental prices, so here's my input on that.

Mate is renting a nice house on Pratumnak ( i own and only use occasionally ), he pays 45K a month and to get that price paid a year up front. Anyway his land lady owns several properties and is trying to sell them coz she's moving to Oz, there's minimal discount on price.

We're going round to look at a 197sqm 3 bedroom price on a condo ( also on Pratumnak ) she wants 6M for ( which seems cheap ), i will try and get her bottom price but don't expect much less than 6M.

If it's nice, i'll offer 3M.

It's in Ruamchok 2 i think.

So really it's worth 2M,  ????

And yeah, guys will pay their girls 25k baht a month, and then go and complain about 90 baht beers.  Go figure.   

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

And yeah, guys will pay their girls 25k baht a month, and then go and complain about 90 baht beers.  Go figure.   

Sod that for a game of soldiers,I don,t sponsor,and whinge if a beers over 65 baht.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Where does your 2M value come from?

if i give you 2M you could buy me a condo that size in Pratumnak, don't think so. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, treetops said:

And why is that?  Supply and demand is why, as less people want a house here and all that goes with it so the prices remain low.  Enjoy yourself if that's what you like, but don't kid yourself that others do or should.

I never said that others should, I was expressing a personal opinion, which is what forums are for. As for supply and demand, that is because condos are predominately in cities and larger resort towns, not in the country, where I and many other choose to live. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Where does your 2M value come from?

if i give you 2M you could buy me a condo that size in Pratumnak, don't think so. 

It's called sarcasm.  Meaning, buyers are paying over the odds here.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." Don King.

It's not difficult. Rent somewhere and if its a disaster walk away and lose your deposit.

No one pays too much. It's called a market. A seller accepts what a buyer is prepared to offer.

On 5/5/2020 at 3:17 AM, jacko45k said:

If you think a detached house means peace and quiet... sorry, not always the case. Barking dogs, people who beep rather than ring a bell, hawkers, noisy people and Wat loudspeakers, you get it all too.

Case in point:  The two houses with the red arrows are ours (on the left) and the sis-in-laws on our 1 rai of land.  (We don't own the swamp.)  Plenty of elbow room on the sides and back and virtually no traffic on the soi which is only partially paved.  HOWEVER, on the lower right is a temple/monk school with a large open field about 400 meters away.  You guessed it - all night parties on occasion.  Have to sleep in the bedrooms on the far side of the house next to the pond on occasion!

image.jpeg.e1801c30d267700d07746a8dca0d0dd6.jpeg 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

HOWEVER, on the lower right is a temple/monk school with a large open field about 400 meters away.  You guessed it - all night parties on occasion.  Have to sleep in the bedrooms on the far side of the house next to the pond on occasion!

Used to live in a select moobahn (albeit Chiang Mai) at the perimeter, which was a good 1.5kms from the main road. Nearest temple was at least 3kms away as crow flies, but when they had a 'function' it might as well have been next door. Dudes used to set off fireworks over in the rice paddies to scare off the birds too. You need a good thousand rai for peace and quiet there and stick the house right in the middle surrounded by 50-deep groves of bamboo and coconut. ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Used to live in a select moobahn (albeit Chiang Mai) at the perimeter, which was a good 1.5kms from the main road. Nearest temple was at least 3kms away as crow flies, but when they had a 'function' it might as well have been next door. Dudes used to set off fireworks over in the rice paddies to scare off the birds too. You need a good thousand rai for peace and quiet there and stick the house right in the middle surrounded by 50-deep groves of bamboo and coconut. ????

Well noted and been looking for some reliable measurements for some time.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

... You need a good thousand rai for peace and quiet there and stick the house right in the middle surrounded by 50-deep groves of bamboo and coconut. ????

I've been thinking of a place like that where I could raise free-range king cobras and Burmese pythons. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Case in point:

Sometimes the source can be surprising. Our village has a wired PA system, for their occasional announcements and I call it propaganda too! There was obviously an input from the village Wat and we got frequent long sermons at some quite unsociable hours, and it was loud and disturbing... it had an echo as we heard the closest loudspeaker (40m) followed by other nearby ones an instant after. A falang complained about the noise and the sermons were extended by a bit of anti-Western rant for a few weeks!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

On the topic of noise, I'm moving from one condo building to another, no noise from neighbors in either place because there hardly are any neighbors. This must be the case in a lot of Bangkok, I've heard the occupancy rates can be as low as 20% in some places.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

On the topic of noise, I'm moving from one condo building to another, no noise from neighbors in either place because there hardly are any neighbors. This must be the case in a lot of Bangkok, I've heard the occupancy rates can be as low as 20% in some places.

What started as a topic spreads to something else,blight.   It affects are devastating,no security/cleaning/pool emptied and so on. its happening here ,not just Spain

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's called sarcasm.  Meaning, buyers are paying over the odds here.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay, simple as that.

If someone is paying over market value more fool them.

When buying if you're not embarrased by the initial offer you give then it's too high.

• Like 2