Mobile data use notification on DTAC but I never use it, sneaky update?

I was slightly surprised yesterday to get an SMS message last night telling me that "Your internet has exceeded 10.00 Baht already." it then went on to recommend that I should use something known as 'Super Max-Net' package.

This is a DTAC pre pay sim in a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone which I put 1000 Baht into probably a couple of times a year, if that.

Now the thing about my phone is - I almost never use it for anything online with the odd exception like a Grab taxi in which case I turn the data on then turn it off again once I'm done.

I last used it online on Feb 28th this year when I received an identical message after using it for a little bit, that's more than 2 months ago, it's not been online at all for anything since then.

I put 1000 Baht credit in the phone at a time because if my main internet connection at home goes offline for more than a short period of time then I use the high speed plan they have and turn on the WI-FI hot spot but I haven't done that for a long time, the last time that happened would be some time last year.

So I don't use Wi-FI or mobile data on the phone at all yet somehow yesterday I'm getting notified of DTAC mobile network data usage completely out of the blue when it's been disabled continuously for more than 2 months.

Nobody touched the phone, it was sitting on the table in front of me while I watched TV for a few hours yesterday up until the SMS arrived telling me of my 'usage'.

I've been reading about COVID contact tracing apps being rolled out in different places around the world and I can't help but wonder if some kind of sneaky forced update might have happened yesterday evening.

Also the battery usage seems to have noticeably increased since yesterday, it's down to 85% since I fully charged it yesterday which is highly unusual.

Any thoughts? I don't care about the 10 Baht but I'm suspicious that some kind of sneaky update might have been 'slipped in' without my knowledge, and they charged me for the privilege.

You're missing the point here.

All forms of communication were disabled on my phone and have been for months.

Data was used on my phone yesterday while it's been disabled for months.

I suspect my phone has been force updated in some way by the network. That's what this thread is about.

Are the government secretly patching our phones for covid contact tracing?

58 minutes ago, tiocfaidh said:

If your mobile data is switched off (see attachment) there is no way that you will use data or get charged for it.

Yet this is exactly what happened and confirmed by the network themselves.

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

I suspect my phone has been force updated in some way by the network. That's what this thread is about.

Simple solution;

*103*55*9# then to hit the Dial key will apply an 'always on' data package of 64 kbps, for 30 baht in total.

This package will run for a year, after which you may need to use at least 10 baht per month of credit in order to keep the package going.

The benefit of said package is that you will never be charged for using data again, unless you purchase a data package.

64 kbps will still allow you to communicate via Apps using text. No longer a need to keep data switched off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the same problem before. DTAC charged me every 2-3 days for using mobile data, but I used only wifi at home. The DTAC shop was completly helpless and gived me a number to cancel internet access. After I checked online and found this Data leakage package for 30 THB too. Now no problem anymore.

http://www.dtac.co.th/common/mdd/package-select.php?refcode=&g_lang=EN&g_ref=&g_pack=MTMwMDQwNzI6aGFwcHk6bWFpbjozMA==&mode=

Edited by snowgard

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

You seem a bit paranoid. I have used dtac for years and there's been no update draining the battery. And thinking the government is tracing you is ridiculous. If using a phone incl. sim-card which is made for tracing the user,that's another story. That's what the government proposed a while ago to keep track of tourists from high risk countries when entering Thailand. It doesn't apply to you,though. Regarding the messages you received by sms, it doesn't matter if both Wi-Fi and Mobile data are turned off, sending/receiving messages still works as it should. Using the dtac app, check usage under "Usage history", especially the tab "content". It should say "Data not found" if everything is ok. 

24 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You seem a bit paranoid. I have used dtac for years and there's been no update draining the battery. And thinking the government is tracing you is ridiculous. If using a phone incl. sim-card which is made for tracing the user,that's another story. That's what the government proposed a while ago to keep track of tourists from high risk countries when entering Thailand. It doesn't apply to you,though. Regarding the messages you received by sms, it doesn't matter if both Wi-Fi and Mobile data are turned off, sending/receiving messages still works as it should. Using the dtac app, check usage under "Usage history", especially the tab "content". It should say "Data not found" if everything is ok. 

It will also say that your provider might not say the same as your phone!

I have my phone switched to Wi-Fi only. It's a pre-pay sim that I top up every month or so 100฿.

The only time I switch data on is when I have purchased a promotional package for a few days if I go travelling. 

It 'leaks' about 50฿ a month so I can concur with the op. The phone (dtac app.) clearly states that there has been no data usage. 

Edited by Madgee
correction

Background data like facebook whatsapp line.

NFC, location gprs skype.

WiFi + mobile data OFF you say.

* Google Play Store will update all apps unless you set App download preference to Wifi ONLY.

80 apps update when you didn't notice, can eat up 10-30 baht very fast.

1. Call complain to Dtac.

2. They can block your access to mobile internet if you ask.

3: Play Store set to Wifi only.

4. Factory reset phone and only download apps you really must have.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 8:05 PM, Max69xl said:

You seem a bit paranoid. I have used dtac for years and there's been no update draining the battery. And thinking the government is tracing you is ridiculous.

Refer to this, it's also on my phone now :

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem. I changed to a new phone (Oppo A91, Android 10) and the problem started. No problem with my old Huawei phone, Android 7.

My prepaid DTAC SIM card is deducted 10 baht every a few days even though I turned off mobile data. I also set all apps to use WIFI only but the problem persists. I just deactivated DTAC internet as suggested by Carlosm. Let's see...