Thai government gets high marks for its handling of coronavirus pandemic

webfact

14 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I believe Sweden don't have a lock down as such and their numbers are quite low.

They have 2700 dead, 9th highest per head in the world. Their non-lockdown is widely perceived as a disaster.

9 minutes ago, Seeall said:

More money in the pocket and invest overseas.... dont care about thailand at all...... me me me... like children....

Exactly. Kids in adults bodies.

2 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

They have 2700 dead, 9th highest per head in the world. Their non-lockdown is widely perceived as a disaster.

But NOT the highest suggesting lockdown does not work? I  mean surely if everyone can carry  on as  normal then they should be number 1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Proves how single minded it gets, there's no comment of the knock on consequences, companies closing, people losing jobs, food queues, people dying not going to hospital

Including you old buddy. You fail to interpret (because we cannot) what the knock ons would have been if the virus HAD run riot. Time to help out the people you mention. 

Taje care. Its not over Regards Paul. 

3 minutes ago, bodga said:

For  reasons  as  yet  unknown Thailand  has  had  some  good  luck  I see  no  evidence of  anything  drastic  being  done and  most  just  carrying on  as  normal  ,  no  distancing at  all, masks  out  of  town absent  also.

The local markets in Bangkok where I live have all been open as usual all the way through and the only one that has had any heat testing near us is one at the top of ThongLor

That said, there are three public COVID-19 testing stations within a KM of here that seem very active, plus roadblock checks with tests and doctors.

7 minutes ago, bodga said:

But NOT the highest suggesting lockdown does not work? I  mean surely if everyone can carry  on as  normal then they should be number 1.

No, it's a very sparsely populated country. Compare it to NZ with lockdown - low population with lockdown. A fraction of the infections and deaths per head.

Sweden is a bit of a disaster. 

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Proves how single minded it gets, there's no comment of the knock on consequences, companies closing, people losing jobs, food queues, people dying not going to hospital

and the related suicide deaths from such action. 

It seems to me that despite all the rhetoric nobody knows a lot of what is being achieved by any nation in attempting to control this epidemic. 

We have Thailand with almost amazingly low figures of infection/deaths meanwhile the UK figures are alarming almost 30k deaths, however testing in the UK is almost up to 100k tests daily how many tests have been done here in Thailand nobody outside the government know, how many tests have been done on people who have died again who knows.

I had 2 friends in the UK with terminal cancer but both deaths were covid 19, maybe in Thailand these deaths would be just attributed to the cancer, I don't know if tests are done to check the actual cause in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, it's only to do with indoor/outdoor living.

Those countries where people congregate inside (air-con and/or central heating) have high infection rates.

Those countries where people mainly live in the open air don't.

Recirculating air is a bad idea.

the traditional South East Asian little meat, fruits, vegetables diet probably plays an important role.  people are just healthier.  the Western diet is all about meat, meat, meat.  potato,, junk food, sugar sugar sugar. diary on and on

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

It seems to me that despite all the rhetoric nobody knows a lot of what is being achieved by any nation in attempting to control this epidemic. 

We have Thailand with almost amazingly low figures of infection/deaths meanwhile the UK figures are alarming almost 30k deaths, however testing in the UK is almost up to 100k tests daily how many tests have been done here in Thailand nobody outside the government know, how many tests have been done on people who have died again who knows.

I had 2 friends in the UK with terminal cancer but both deaths were covid 19, maybe in Thailand these deaths would be just attributed to the cancer, I don't know if tests are done to check the actual cause in Thailand.

great, so without absolutely anything to back it up you are suggesting that because of what happening in UK, Thailand has to be worse. Where are all the hidden sick and dead in Thailand? Everybody here have access to SNS, government can't hide thousands of sick and dead from public. Unless you are going to suggest family of thousands of hidden sick and dead people are not doing anything about it or Thai government is doing amazing job deleting posts from facebook or twitter before anyone seeing it.

Edited by sitti
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I'm back in the UK now

So you know nothing of the real situation in Thailand but you try to show off as an expert in the matter.

Six weeks ago the effects of this virus were very different, the situation has changed so much worldwide.

Try doing a bit of research from people on the ground instead of trying to bleat on about a situation that you have no first hand knowledge of.

I believe that trying to spread or get people to believe your incorrect facts about this virus equate to you spreading fake news about the virus.

As far as I am aware,  most countries now class this as a crime.

Therefore, please think carefully before peddling your lies.

peddling lies? His post seems to state his personal experience whilst in Thailand and the uk. His experience might be different to yours, but I don’t see why you should say his are lies.

he states a fact about large numbers of people being unemployed in Thailand and expressed the view that the same will be the case in the UK when the furlough scheme ends.

i know of NO country where his comments might be construed a crime, not even Thailand which is pretty strict on this point.

I’m not sure quite what prompted your extreme backlash. The post seems pretty innocuous to me. Please do try to calm down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The poll wasn't about those issues - they are important, I know, but don't want to bamboozle the public with too many questions.

Under SOE the government has the power to control the results of any poll (in the interest of national security of course) so at the moment its serves little purpose. If you look at the questions they were bound to get high results.
E.g.

• 14-day quarantine for foreign arrivals: 94.18% very satisfied.
  • Temporary suspension of in-bound flights: 92.55% very satisfied.
  • Monitoring people in quarantine by public health volunteers: 89.23% approved.
  • Quarantine and stay at home policy: 88.01% approved.
  • Screening of high-risk groups: 87.08% approved.
  • Lockdown measures: 85.45% approved.
  • Curfew: 85.40% approved.
  • Work from home measure: 85.01% approved.

I mean seriously most of these things the public was begging the government to do in February whilst they were still letting hordes of Chinese tourist in.

Now ask the public this question (not Civil Servants):
-How happy are you with the government assistance to the public during the COVID19 lock-down?
My bet less than 10% will be happy.

Oh yea and what about the pointless Alcohol ban?

As to 14 day quarantine policy why not just test them COVID19?

Edited by DirtyHarry55
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The secret in a survey is to ask a question with a very weighted answer option,  you are sure to get the results you were looking for, or, just report a satisfactory result and not bother to do the survey.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Does anyone know what will be the requirements for foreigners once the international flights restart in June? Will there be any quarantine or need for Covid19 insurance and medical certificate? Thank you in advance.

Probably all three

10 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Does anyone know what will be the requirements for foreigners once the international flights restart in June? Will there be any quarantine or need for Covid19 insurance and medical certificate? Thank you in advance.

Covid insurance will be extremely difficult to get, and if it is inbound to Los it would be wise not to book anything other than a flexi ticket as  the rules i feel will change by the day, if you are inbound whilst annoying a 14 day quarantine held in your home or the person you are visiting is far better than the alternative to no travel. Good luck with whatever, you are not alone i know of 5 falang wishing to return to there thai families.

Edited by Almer
Spelling

Ok... it started off so so... BUT i do commend prayut for visa amnesty and lockdown and such. A lot of mistakes were made with allowing chinese planes to continue to land here and such but i feel they realised their mistakes and for the first time i admire prayuts stance. Let me just say i find it hard to be honest and nice with this guy but do a good deed and it shouldn't go unnoticed!!

• Confused 1