Restaurants in Pattaya adjust to "New Normal" rules

redwood1

The idea of the plastic partitions is to prevent the person sitting opposite you from spraying your food with their potentially virus-infected saliva whilst eating or chatting. After thinking about that for a few minutes, I don't think I ever want to eat out again, regardless of whether or not there's a partition there, lol!

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The idea of the plastic partitions is to prevent the person sitting opposite you from spraying your food with their potentially virus-infected saliva whilst eating or chatting. After thinking about that for a few minutes, I don't think I ever want to eat out again, regardless of whether or not there's a partition there, lol!

But the rest of the World are separating tables from other tables .... not separating tables!

The restaurant I posted about, I always go there with the person I live with, so why do I need separated from her?

Plus we share the excellent Vietnamese dishes that they serve .... how do you do that now?

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

Not such an issue for 35 baht noodles...but if the same applies in upmarket restaurants where a tab is 2k....will anybody even bother going

Maybe not expats, but well healed Thais who can afford to spend 2k on a meal will still go. These inconveniences don't bother Thai people as much, and after home cooking and takeaways for 2 months, they'll go and put up with a few screens here and there. I don't think 2k meal restaurants will be doing it the same way. They will most likely put screens in between tables as strangers don't share tables in expensive restaurants.

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Maybe not expats, but well healed Thais who can afford to spend 2k on a meal will still go. These inconveniences don't bother Thai people as much, and after home cooking and takeaways for 2 months, they'll go and put up with a few screens here and there. I don't think 2k meal restaurants will be doing it the same way. They will most likely put screens in between tables as strangers don't share tables in expensive restaurants.

Yes some times the Thais are to complacent.....

The first thing I want to do when seeing the separating screens on restaurant tables is rip them off the table and thrown them in the trash right then and there....

But I am for the most part civilized so I dont.....But that does not mean I would not make rukkas about the situation..

12 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Yes some times the Thais are to complacent.....

The first thing I want to do when seeing the separating screens on restaurant tables is rip them off the table and thrown them in the trash right then and there....

But I am for the most part civilized so I dont.....But that does not mean I would not make rukkas about the situation..

I would suggest, if you don't like it, move on, go back to eating at home.

In time these requirements will be cancelled.... for now, best to give them some credence. Or, like the 80 year old Beach lover, pay up... Treating Thai rules and regulations with disdain upsets the locals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, sungod said:

They are trying their best to get back to making a living, they have to stick to the rules too so they can open.

Ignoring someone with a temperature gun (be it effective or not) is just ignorant, they are all just doing their jobs.

All about choice, go in and eat or dont, simple really.

There are many restaraunts that are not doing this, they've limited amount of tables and chairs at tables but none of that plastic screen madness.

I would not eat anywhere that had them, totally stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would suggest, if you don't like it, move on, go back to eating at home.

In time these requirements will be cancelled.... for now, best to give them some credence. Or, like the 80 year old Beach lover, pay up... Treating Thai rules and regulations with disdain upsets the locals.

i don't like it and do move on - to a restaraunt that's normal, they then get my money!

On 5/5/2020 at 3:04 AM, JensenZ said:

It's not that big a deal. In this restaurant you can sit next to your partner if you wish. I'm sure you could also remove the screen if you have a party. In these type of Thai restaurants strangers often use the same tables, so therefore they need screens.

I heard that McDonalds is proposing a seating arrangement that puts screens between tables.

If you boycott these type of restaurants, assuming you eat at these type of restaurants, you're only hurting the battlers trying to make some kind of living. Put up with a few screens to help them. The food won't taste any different.

I will boycott them as give my money to places that are trying to help restore normality by NOT having them.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 7:42 AM, TaaSaparot said:

But the rest of the World are separating tables from other tables .... not separating tables!

The restaurant I posted about, I always go there with the person I live with, so why do I need separated from her?

Plus we share the excellent Vietnamese dishes that they serve .... how do you do that now?

Restaurant owners saying this is coming from City Hall, who have said its one person per table.

A way around this, is these screens.

People moan about places not opening up, when they do, and do their best within the current limitations, people moan about them being open, but not in the way they wanted.

Thai people will adapt as they do.

Farangs? Keep moving along with your inflexible attitude, a few baht in your pocket, thinking the restaurants you choose to pass will be mortified that you have not provided patronage!! I doubt they will notice.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 3:25 PM, redwood1 said:

Yea... About as good of a idea as Saran wrapping your girlfriend before sex............Safety first....... 

But... Is not everyone doing this... ????

On May 4, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Boomer6969 said:

I have been spending over 200k a year in restaurants, if they keep up that sort of KwaiExcrement, it will be over for me, no more dining out in Thailand.

I don't think anyone gives a flying funk about your spending habits.

its their country, their rules, they don't like or want you there, so guess what? Don't let the door hit you on the <deleted> when u leave.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kenk24 said:

so, if you won't support it, you must be going into lockdown? what other choices do you have?

and yes, the temp checks are often done at too far a distance to get an accurate read... 

As mentioned, there are plenty of places to eat without those stupid screens in place.

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

I don't think anyone gives a flying funk about your spending habits.

its their country, their rules, they don't like or want you there, so guess what? Don't let the door hit you on the <deleted> when u leave.

Whether or not they like us is irrelevant but i'm not sure your statement about not wanting us here ( for our custom ) is as true as it was pre virus, i'm sure they'd be glad of any business they can get right now ( if business still alive ).

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

As mentioned, there are plenty of places to eat without those stupid screens in place.

Indeed, was in Robin Hood in Avenue this morning for example, perfectly comfortable seating arrangement for eating in. 

• Like 1