Second-stage contagion now a real danger, public health chief warns

webfact

Second-stage contagion now a real danger, public health chief warns

By THE NATION

800_78918ef8396b3ac.jpg?v=1588653087

Although the absence of new Covid-19 cases in 36 provinces for the past 14 days pointed to success in containing the outbreak, new infections would arise next week, the director of the Division of Communicable Diseases warned on Monday (May 4).

Sopon Iamsirithaworn said that after six types of businesses and activities had been allowed to restart on Sunday (May 3), people would start leaving their homes more often and gathering in large numbers. This would lead to a rise in the number of new Covid-19 cases, he predicted.

The director added that many provinces had assigned officials to test asymptomatic members of the public for Covid-19 infection. Tests were conducted last week at crowded places such as prisons and worker’s shelters across the country, but no traces of the virus were found.

Sopon said officials were now monitoring for signs of a second wave of infections, including a spike in the number of patients with respiratory complaints. They were also checking to ensure people maintained tight hygiene measures to prevent transmission of the virus.

Singapore is among several countries around the world that have suffered a second wave of infections that has brought more cases than the first. It was important to contain the virus before the onset of the rainy season, Sopon added, since Covid-19 may stay active for longer in the cool and humid weather than in the heat of summer.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387268

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-05

2 hours ago, 2long said:

I am worried that this and other news and stuff is just a smokescreen. And that they always planned to reintroduce lockdown measures, by blaming it on people travelling this past long weekend. I have seen several news reports & threads about threatening to ban booze and other activities again.

I wouldn't put it past them to have stored some 'infection statistics from last month' to use next week claiming it's due to the travel and drunkards!

But I really hope I'm 100% wrong!

Dont you have enough money to buy 2 months stock of alcohol if you are much worried?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Keep people in fear, the surge, the 2nd wave, and on and on and on.....

I agree keep the people scared and not look at the government <deleted>  cking the country and taking away there rights. Does anybody hear the gov talking about dengue fever here Its bad this year but hardly a mention because it dont have the same fear impact as the virus does.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I think he is incorrect. No country is in the midst of a second wave. We are still in the first wave as are other place so I have no idea what he means by - Singapore is among several countries around the world that have suffered a second wave of infections. 

That is clearly wrong. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JCP108 said:

This is why nobody was seemingly paying attention to the government's asking people to not travel this weekend. Why would they obey that when there seems to be no risk to Thais (though clearly dirty foreigners are at risk). 

This is also (in my mind) the explanation of why I'm not seeing actual social distancing in my part of Thailand (Ladprao). About 70% wear masks when out and about. About 10% wear them when inside our neighborhood (and, then, mostly as chin protectors). They sit close together, sharing drinks, eating with no serving spoons out of common dishes, and (usually) with at least one dog or cat sitting on the same table as the food.

Dangerous for the cats and dogs, no common sense!

• Haha 2

I don't like to say 'I

3 hours ago, ubon farang said:

I agree keep the people scared and not look at the government <deleted>  cking the country and taking away there rights. Does anybody hear the gov talking about dengue fever here Its bad this year but hardly a mention because it dont have the same fear impact as the virus does.

I don't like to say 'I told you so', but...

Edited by ParkerN

2 hours ago, ubon farang said:

Dengue isn't transmissibe between people. It won't spread like wildfire through a population, if given the chance. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, saakura said:

Dont you have enough money to buy 2 months stock of alcohol if you are much worried?

Such an incredibly ignorant response.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

No it dont but it kils people 

It kills them in manageable numbers. The cases won't balloon over the limit of the health care system capacity. That's the difference between covid and dengue, covid can break out in exponential growth and break the health care system, as we've witnessed in China, Italy and US.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2