First Single Bought

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Eddy did release his version of Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn in 1959 as a single. The original Mancini was also released in 1959 though it was actually recorded in 1958.

About 1988 I was walking through a weekend flea market in So. Cal.  I stopped where someone was selling old LP's.  I picked up the original release of Mancini's Peter Gunn in mono, about as thick as a pancake.  I still have it in excellent condition.  I picked that album mostly because I played trombone in my high school band and one of the tracks had a great trombone solo.  Maybe it was "The Brothers Go To Mother's" track.  I've already packed it away for our move to Hang Dong so I can't check.

P.S. Just realized that my free trial of Amazon music is still active.  That album is in their library.  It is listed as being released Jan. 1, 1959.  The nice trombone solo is in the track I mentioned.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, faraday said:

My Old Man's a dustman - Lonnie Donegan.

Think it was 1960.

Anyone know what "gorblimey trousers" are?

I think you had to live in a council flat to get that . Possibly drain pipe trousers.  

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Beatles, 'I want to Hold Your Hand' , 1963 or 4 I guess. 

Pretty sure that was my first, think we got a record player some years later! :shock1:

Also "My Boy Lollipop" about that time by "Millie" she passed in the last few days. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

First single was Teenage Kicks by The Undertones (1978)

The first album I bought (after lots of pleading to my mother to cough up the cash) was One Step Beyond by Madness (1979)

My favourite song ever! 

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Just as important is what did you play it on? Who was rich and their parents had a radiogram. A wooden piece of furniture containing the record player and radio.

Yes we had one and my dad took the 78 rpm lump out , raised the lid so he could put a player in that could stack about 5  45 rpm singles. Then one xmas he bought me a Dansette Burmuda .  I wish I couldn't remember this stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If you was lucky to be born in the 50's and growing up in the 60's big things happened in the music industry many bands and live music every where,

I moved away from the so called POP music the early 60's I like the Blues and Soul scene some of them Black American soul artist were bigger in England than they ever was in America and every week in Manchester at the Twisted Wheel we would get live bands.

I used to collect records and I still have them back in England I know they are worth a fortune 

One of the early records I bought around that time would be Chuck Berry we could go on and on,

I wish I were older and had been able to see John Coltrane live.

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

T-rex .Ride a white swan

After a season in the sun working in a hotel , I came back home , went to work in a garment factory. A girl called Steph. White used to sing ' F... a dead pig gig a gig , not as good as T-Rex. Foul moth but a very pretty blonde.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Bill Haley and the Comets - "rock around the clock" (on a 78)

My father was into him. I also had some of my mother's Beach Boy's and Beatles singles, which would worth a fortune now. 

• Thanks 1

House of the Rising Sun, Animals.

I had just repaired a record player given to me by manager of Currys. They had marked it 'beyond economical repair'. There was a loose wire !!!  I needed a record to test it. Bought the 45 from an ex jukebox stock !!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Farewell Aunty Jack. Must have been earlyish 70's.

I liked the song but bought the single because it was the first time i had seen a color pic on a record.

I remember buying an Ian Dury Album in yellow vinyl -  New Boots and Panties. I had one with a picture on it -  Cheap trick , I think.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The average age of the TVF posters on this thread must be around 70 judging by the old music listed 555

Sex Pistols - The great rock n roll scandal, 7in single, 1979, when in junior school. Although it might have Sham 69 - Hersham Boys also from 1979.

i'm 68 and a half!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Elvis costello and the attractions. Oliver army. 

I also had flares sewn into skintight jeans. 

Great days.... Skint but cool. 

One pair I cut too much off so couldn't get them on! My mum came to the rescue.

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Was fortunate to have supper with Jimmy Page in Pattaya years ago.

Wow, I'm jealous. My brother in law sold him a house in Inverness, used to belong to some Crowley.

12 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The average age of the TVF posters on this thread must be around 70 judging by the old music listed 555

Sex Pistols - The great rock n roll scandal, 7in single, 1979, when in junior school. Although it might have Sham 69 - Hersham Boys also from 1979.

Good times!

but Swindle, not Scandal! Remember my old man going mental when my best mate appeared at my house wearing a swastika shirt, like Sid.