First Single Bought

First single was Teenage Kicks by The Undertones (1978)

The first album I bought (after lots of pleading to my mother to cough up the cash) was One Step Beyond by Madness (1979)

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, mrfill said:

A small aside...

Sad news about Florian Schneider from Kraftwerk who passed away yesterday.

One of the greatest and most influential bands ever.

When I need to get some serious work done, I put on Autobahn.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Peter Gunn, Duane Eddy 1959?

Eddy did release his version of Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn in 1959 as a single. The original Mancini was also released in 1959 though it was actually recorded in 1958.

I saw this thread last night and thought back - I spent all night singing it in my head - arrrgghhh!

I think it was on Pye or Phillips records - I think I played it non-stop back in the day. 

48 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Eddy did release his version of Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn in 1959 as a single. The original Mancini was also released in 1959 though it was actually recorded in 1958.

Blues Brothers also did it

It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it!"

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 2

Just now, kwak250 said:

Madness

House of fun.

Still got it in a box in the uk along with lots of albums . Might have to buy a record player again one day.

You should Vinyl is making a comeback

Yes we also had the drinks cabinet underneath all mirrored .first time I tried eggnog I think aged about 8.

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

Just as important is what did you play it on? Who was rich and their parents had a radiogram. A wooden piece of furniture containing the record player and radio.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That reminds me; do you remember Max Bygraves's "I'm a Blue Tooth Brush you're a Pink Tooth Brush", same era. I must have been around 5 years old.

I once took the Magic bus from Brussels to Felixstowe and the driver played Max Bygraves all the way - a nightmare I still remember 60 years later!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

I once took the Magic bus from Brussels to Felixstowe and the driver played Max Bygraves all the way - a nightmare I still remember 60 years later!

I hope you are not suggesting that Felixstowe was a nightmare ?   ????

Goodbye T’Jane - Slade ( 1972 ).

My grandad gave me a mono record player which was pretty neat ( for ‘72 ???? ) the lid doubled as the speaker. 

Wore it out in my bedroom........... and the single ????

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, delboy said:

Rock Island Line by Lonnie Donegan (1956 ish)

There yer go.  I was waiting 'till the end to say  Cumberland Gap  , Lonnie Donegan about 1958. Although it may of been Jack of diamonds , same chap , same year.

• Like 1

Who's Next album not a single.

I never owned records until.....during my second year at Uni (mid 70's) I distributed flyers for a Record Club(remember those?).  The flyers had my code on them and when someone joined the club using my flyer I got either 1$ or an album.  I took albums every time.  I think the first one was Who's Next.  It was an excellent first choice.  Since I didn't own a record player I had to wait until my landlord was out to use his.

When I left Canada for the USA a decade later, my friend inherited my "free" collection because CD's were available by then.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That reminds me; do you remember Max Bygraves's "I'm a Blue Tooth Brush you're a Pink Tooth Brush", same era. I must have been around 5 years old.

What about Max B. and  ' You need 'ands to 'old a little baby '.  Absolutely awful !

• Like 1