First Single Bought

The first single I bought was a Chinese lass in the "lion" bar in Singapore in 1969, her name was Ah Chien if anyone on here had a similar experience?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Pretty sure that was my first, think we got a record player some years later! :shock1:

Also "My Boy Lollipop" about that time by "Millie" she passed in the last few days. 

Aww, just found out. How sad, RIP, girl who made a happy sound.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TPI said:

The first single I bought was a Chinese lass in the "lion" bar in Singapore in 1969, her name was Ah Chien if anyone on here had a similar experience?

Lion bar, that was on the waterfront just of Shenton way if I remember correctly?

38 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

House of the Rising Sun, Animals.

I had just repaired a record player given to me by manager of Currys. They had marked it 'beyond economical repair'. There was a loose wire !!!  I needed a record to test it. Bought the 45 from an ex jukebox stock !!

1964 , I was in hospital with a fractured skull , a broken ulna and radius after a doctor pulled across in front of me. I was on a 350cc Ariel.

In hospital The house of the rising bum ( as we called it ) was # 1 and so everytime I hear it it reminds me of that.

Did get a good payout from his insurance though , money kept 'till I was 21 and in '68 went out and bought a 1956 Series 2 Morgan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Just as important is what did you play it on? Who was rich and their parents had a radiogram. A wooden piece of furniture containing the record player and radio.

That time my parents where not rich but I build my own amplifier when I was 12 years old, I remember I had to save for long time to buy my first Philips basic turntable.

If I remember well, it was '69 and the price was about 25 dutch guilders.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Darkside of the Moon in '73 right when it came out.  Still have it in plastic, thicker vinyl than my other records.

One of my 'I was there' moments was seeing DSOTM being performed live for the first time in February 1972 at the Rainbow theatre. It wasn't even called Dark Side - it was introduced as Eclipse. I took in a portable cassette and still have the incredibly bad recording. Only a few months after another 'moment' when I saw Frank Zappa get nudged off the stage (and I have the programme even now..).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rig Pig said:

The Spencer Davis Group are a British band formed in Birmingham in 1963, by Spencer Davis with Steve Winwood and his brother, Muff Winwood and Pete York, 

• Like 1