First Single Bought

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford, 78 rpm.  My aunt bought it for me.  I must have been 4 years old.

My turning point was buying an FM radio in 1968.  US$20 is a lot when you're making $1.25/hour before taxes.  Suddenly discovered a whole other world of popular music.

Oh yeh, I never forget the 2 or more transistor radio's from Japan, a very nice time....wow I'm getting old!

• Like 1

I never bought singles I think. I did buy albums though.

The first one was probably from Metallica, most likely "Ride The Lightning".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Oh yeh, I never forget the 2 or more transistor radio's from Japan, a very nice time....wow I'm getting old!

I remember them. My first memory of pop music was listening to The Carnival is Over on someone's small transistor radio during a break in school.

• Like 1

Just now, ChipButty said:

In the days before UK pirate radio in the mid 1960s, the only way to hear broadcasts of pop music was to listen to the evening programmes starting at 7pm from Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres medium wave

Wow....you just brought back some memories....

The signal would rise & fall, music drifting in & out.

But, it was pop music.....

Now, I think there is way too much of everything.

As The Eagles sang:

"Everything, all the time
 Life in the fast lane"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, faraday said:

Wow....you just brought back some memories....

The signal would rise & fall, music drifting in & out.

But, it was pop music.....

Now, I think there is way too much of everything.

As The Eagles sang:

"Everything, all the time
 Life in the fast lane"

A mate of mine was a DJ on there

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

In the days before UK pirate radio in the mid 1960s, the only way to hear broadcasts of pop music was to listen to the evening programmes starting at 7pm from Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres medium wave

I once recorded, on my tape/radio recorder,  several programs from Radio Luxembourg after discovering Rocktober ( the month of October playing only rock ). 
Of course stopping and starting the tape before the DJ started talking was an art.

It was on this program I first heard Magic Man by Heart !!

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

RTL was my favorite a couple of years later - on FM. Especially Desiree Nosbusch

desiree-nosbusch-in-october-1988-moderat

no idea.  maybe this song, but you asked "bought."  Maybe this was before I had a job, and got some allowance of 1 dollar a month..lol

around 1985 when this song came out i think.  The bottom song is CLASSIC

Edited by Ventenio

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I remember the first song I ever downloaded: Cameo - Word Up

I think it took many minutes, maybe even hours, to download it. Obviously audio only, on Napster. ???? 

I still like it.

Was my top album of 1986 and used to play the tape to death on my Walkman.  I still remember every word to every tune on there.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 7:46 AM, ChipButty said:

Oh yes I remember it well .   When I heard a new song from a new group it was amazing .

Love Me Do by The Beatles in 1962 changed the face of music and became the most exciting era of which we were so fortunate to have had in our younger years . BTW a quick Google says that the 7" Love Me Do vinyl was the most expensive ever sold at auction for nearly $15,000 . 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:06 PM, Pilotman said:

Beatles, 'I want to Hold Your Hand' , 1963 or 4 I guess. 

Same.

A couple of years I saw the Beatles live in Adelaide, Giant theatre so big / so long it was impossible to who was actually on stage and a <deleted> sound system (sound system nothing as sophisticated as today).

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1