Marriage visa: time to deposit 400,000 baht?

1. Many of us are on multiple-entry 90-day non-immigrant O marriage visas obtained from Savannakhet, Laos.

2. Many of us have never thought about depositing 400,000 baht to get the 1-year extension, since in the past we could do quick border hops and get new visas at Savannakhet every year. But due to the uncertainty of the COVID situation, this no longer seems doable.

3. Thus, would it now be a good time for us to start depositing 400,000 baht for 1-year extensions, in order to avoid overstays and expired 90-day ME visas?

My stamp expires at the beginning of June 2020.

My visa expires at the beginning of September 2020.

I have $12,500 USD ready, but I have always preferred to keep it in high-yield savings accounts in the US.

I'm sure many of us are in similar situations.

Thoughts?

Edited by Falconator
  • Like 1

You will need the 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day your apply for the extension or proof of 40k baht income.

You can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of any to the 90 day entries from your visa.

• Like 2

Thanks UbonJoe.

1. Due to the COVID situation, should I apply for my next 60-day extension at the end of this May (visa stamp expiry date), or at the end of this July (announced amnesty expiry date)?

2. Can I can still apply for a 1-year extension even after I get a 60-day extension? (90 days entry stamp + 60 days extension + 1 year extension)

Edited by Falconator

I'm in a similar situation to you. I was also in Laos the day they closed the border. For what it's worth, I'm probably going to start going on the 400k Non-O method instead of annual runs next year.

Before the whole COVID-19 debacle I noticed some corruption creeping in on the Thai side of the borders asking for beer money which I wasn't entirely happy about. Having to deal with corrupt officals in Cambodia then again when you get back to Thailand makes me not want to do it again. I don't mind the drive but the whole process is starting to get tiresome. 

Also, I got torn apart by a Thai immigration official as I was leaving Thailand to cross into Laos for 'having the wrong visa' and it upset my wife because she made a whole show about yelling at me in front of everyone. I kept my cool but I don't want to put her through that again. 

• Like 2

You're always super helpful Joe!

So I will need to to transfer the 400k baht sometime this month, since the funds need to be seasoned for 2 months.

Honestly I would prefer to avoid depositing 400k baht, but I don't think I have much of a choice now due to border closures and shuttered embassies.

On TransferWise, I will need to transfer 400,500 baht to cover the 500 baht incoming fee right?

I'm using Bangkok Bank by the way.

I'm trying to get all everything prepared in advance for my marriage visa extension at the end of July.

I've never done any TransferWise transfers to Thailand before, so I'm a bit worried that the 400k transfer might not be coded as an international transfer, hence resulting in 400k baht considered unusable by immigration.

Maybe I should do a 3,000 baht test transfer first just to make sure.

28 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Thoughts?

i am on a non o multi. did  my border run on march 2nd. 2 weeks ago i opened an account at siam to start the process. deposited my 400k and now waiting.

don't know what will happen in the coming year and that is the only reason i have deposited the money. 

3 minutes ago, Falconator said:

I've never done any TransferWise transfers to Thailand before, so I'm a bit worried that the 400k transfer might not be coded as an international transfer, hence resulting in 400k baht considered unusable by immigration.

You do not need proof the 400k baht came from abroad to apply for an extension.

It is only required if using the 40k baht monthly income requirement.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need proof the 400k baht came from abroad to apply for an extension.

It is only required if using the 40k baht monthly income requirement.

So hypothetically speaking, we can borrow 400k baht in cash from local Thai friends, deposit the wads of bills into bank accounts in our names, and still get our 1-year marriage visa extensions?

• Like 1

I already have 30k baht in my Bangkok Bank account. The money was withdrawn from local ATMs.

If what UbonJoe is saying is true, then I just have 370k left to deposit. I'll have to make a lot of trips to local ATMs then. I'm hoping the Chiang Mai IO's would be OK with that.

Edited by Falconator

22 minutes ago, Falconator said:

So hypothetically speaking, we can borrow 400k baht in cash from local Thai friends, deposit the wads of bills into bank accounts in our names, and still get our 1-year marriage visa extensions?

I guess you could. 

22 minutes ago, Falconator said:

I already have 30k baht in my Bangkok Bank account. The money was withdrawn from local ATMs.

If what UbonJoe is saying is true, then I just have 370k left to deposit. I'll have to make a lot of trips to local ATMs then. I'm hoping the Chiang Mai IO's would be OK with that.

It is the same for extension applications based upon marriage or retirement. No extension application requires proof the 400k or 800k baht came from abroad.

It is only required is to apply for a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement. Not needed for one based upon marriage.

29 minutes ago, Falconator said:

I'll have to make a lot of trips to local ATMs then

It is much cheaper to transfer it in using transferwise. At 220 baht for each transfer it adds up quickly.

8 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

What kind of high yield does $12,500 get you in a US Savings Account these days?

Just posting the same...............like to know where these high yield accounts for that amount are........

3 hours ago, heist said:

I'm in a similar situation to you. I was also in Laos the day they closed the border. For what it's worth, I'm probably going to start going on the 400k Non-O method instead of annual runs next year.

Before the whole COVID-19 debacle I noticed some corruption creeping in on the Thai side of the borders asking for beer money which I wasn't entirely happy about. Having to deal with corrupt officals in Cambodia then again when you get back to Thailand makes me not want to do it again. I don't mind the drive but the whole process is starting to get tiresome. 

Also, I got torn apart by a Thai immigration official as I was leaving Thailand to cross into Laos for 'having the wrong visa' and it upset my wife because she made a whole show about yelling at me in front of everyone. I kept my cool but I don't want to put her through that again. 

"Wrong Visa" means, "Fat-envelope not included, because you use a visa, instead of deal with us."

Hope the IO doesn't do worse.  My wife dreads immigration offices like nothing else, after our experiences there.  They like to hurt our wives, to get to us.  They must sense we just see them for what they are, so their words are water off a duck's back, to us.

I was hoping to avoid the Visa-run thing again next year, but it is clear immigration will not issue a non-o to me, without a huge agent/lawyer-payoff.  I won't do it, so off to Laos I go again, as soon as the borders open.  Maybe I'll go to Vietnam, this time.

• Like 2

Its very hard for some older people who have been married here for 20 years or so. Their pensions generally being poor these days and their unselfish attitude to the Family is costing many dearly.Not much of a reward for as the  Marry Form says To Support Thai Wife in HER House She would not have had without him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Falconator said:

1.5%, American Express

If you put you monies in a 3 year deposit account in your Thai bank you should get around the same interest. Depend what bank. Interest is paid yearly or 6 monthly. It's 6 monthly in a Kasikorn Bank. You can get your monies out whenever you want but you could loose some of your interest.

4 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

...the  Marry Form says To Support Thai Wife in HER House She would not have had without him.

What form is this? I got married decades ago and don't remember what forms I signed.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

What form is this? I got married decades ago and don't remember what forms I signed.

The form we fill every year to get Marry Extension.  In The Reason for Extension Box. Im sure you dont enter To Vist Soi 6 and get Drunk.  To Support Thai bla bla impresses the IO much more. Im also told those with only 400K have to wait and go back a month later once its been approved by big boss. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

The form we fill every year to get Marry Extension.  In The Reason for Extension Box. Im sure you dont enter To Vist Soi 6 and get Drunk.  To Support Thai bla bla impresses the IO much more. Im also told those with only 400K have to wait and go back a month later once its been approved by big boss. 

TM 7 Form.

Just put "Thai Wife"

Yes there is an underconsideration period but it never comes back with a no.

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

My wife dreads immigration offices like nothing else, after our experiences there.  They like to hurt our wives, to get to us.  They must sense we just see them for what they are, so their words are water off a duck's back, to us.

I really can't get my head around why they do this, but I've seen it happen before (and is the reason my wife also dreads dealing with immigration). Anyway, good luck with your next visa application, I hope it goes smoothly for you. 

UbonJoe

My friend has his year extension coming up in July.

He is not sure if his money 400k will be seasoned in time.

Can he get a 60 days extension on his yearly extension to allow the 400k to season?

RAZZ

7 minutes ago, heist said:

I really can't get my head around why they do this, but I've seen it happen before (and is the reason my wife also dreads dealing with immigration). Anyway, good luck with your next visa application, I hope it goes smoothly for you. 

I have seen the stress many times caused by Visits.My Wife has often tried to calm them prior to the Interrogation some IO give them.Those IOs know how to scare a Farm Girl for some sad reason.

• Like 1

I was at the immigration department Nonthaburi, I tried to submit my documents to ask for One year Non O visa based on spouse (1st time submission). I have all the documents ready including the 400k baht in a deposit account. The documents checklist requires neighbours ID card and House registration I got it but I was told I need to bring my neighbours along too. I am now stuck at this requirement. Has anyone encounter this, any work around? 

38 minutes ago, soohk said:

I was at the immigration department Nonthaburi, I tried to submit my documents to ask for One year Non O visa based on spouse (1st time submission). I have all the documents ready including the 400k baht in a deposit account. The documents checklist requires neighbours ID card and House registration I got it but I was told I need to bring my neighbours along too. I am now stuck at this requirement. Has anyone encounter this, any work around? 

Pay them a few hundred baht, or try other local friends?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, soohk said:

A bottle of whisky usually works.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Just posting the same...............like to know where these high yield accounts for that amount are........

I've heard guys posting about these "high interest" accounts for years.  I can't find'em.  I have a substantial amount of cash right now and get about $5 USD per month interest.  I wouldn't let that be reason not to put my cash in Thai bank.  There may be other reasons, but not interest yield.

YMMV

21 hours ago, Falconator said:

Maybe I should do a 3,000 baht test transfer first just to make sure.

Falc, Transferwise is the way to go.  It takes few minutes to set up your account in the app but after that it is the most effortless, easy transfer means I have ever used.  And there is a drop down will ask you for reason for transfer of funds, if you click long stay in Thailand, or words to that effect it will show up as international transfer.  It is actually too easy not to use transferwise.

But again YMMV

• Like 1