Hundreds of laid-off Lao workers left stranded at Thai border

snoop1130

Hundreds of laid-off Lao workers left stranded at Thai border

By The Nation

800_e572c3d08b1990a.jpg

Over 250 Lao immigrant workers were left stranded on the Laos-Thailand border in Nong Khai province on Thursday (May 7) after mistakenly believing the crossing had reopened.

Lao immigration officers have asked their Thai counterparts to inform Laotians in Thailand that border crossings in both countries remain closed.

Thai public health officials have travelled to Nong Khai to screen the stranded workers for Covid-19 as part of measures to curb the contagion.

The number of Lao immigrant workers arriving at the border has been increasing since May 3. The immigrants are seeking to return to their homeland after being laid off by Thai employers hit by the economic freeze during the lockdown period.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387454?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-07

12 hours ago, johnray said:

So sad all the money they worked hard for will be lost on the food and water.  If I had a private jet I would fly them all over.  Or buy 200 Air Asia seats. ????

And where would you land...?

LAOS is shut!

43 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And where would you land...?

LAOS is shut!

Repatriation flights can land in Laos.  If the Lao government wanted to it could arrange this, however, with only 19 Covid cases and, so far, no deaths, it is understandable that they are being cautious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, johnray said:

So sad all the money they worked hard for will be lost on the food and water.  If I had a private jet I would fly them all over.  Or buy 200 Air Asia seats. ????

At Nong Khai you could just paddle them over in a bath tub. Or just wait a while until the Mekong completely dries up because of all the dams upstream and walk over..

• Like 1