Blending in.

Im a big believe that no matter where you go, there you are. However, Iv been feeling very alien in Chiang Mai. Im not trying to be Thai and I don't hang around any expats. I just try to be polite, tip well and mind my own business. But I don't feel welcome at all anymore. I realize most Thais are tried of us, but I'm on a 1 year ed visa and not going anywhere for a while. Im just wondering if some expats find it easier to blend in in Bangkok or even Pattaya, you know, amongst the hustle and bustle of a larger city?

I just go around like I belong in the space I'm occupying during that time.....

Trading smiles continues to serve me well here (CM), even with masks.....I've never experienced any animosity or visible distain.....

That being said, I'm not out riding in tuktuks, songtou trucks, or motocy ekeing my way around either so it's possible that takes some of the locals judgements our of it.....

I walk & ride a bike around most days for some exercise & am greeted with hellos, smiles, and waves by Thais - more than would happen back home....

Expats, only mix with a few + don't do the club/bar/pub thing, that's an automatic "lost points/status" situation in most societies anyway.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I avoid everyone.

Same as I avoided everyone when I lived in the UK.

I pretty much hated everywhere I go. Im just feeling particularly uncomfortable right now. Maybe covid is making things worse?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Right now I doubt if many do.

The virus is obviously mostly a western issue now.

Thais probably think you are a big part of the problem or sick.

So, I guess do not expect much from them for the time being.

Do you really think Covid is making things worse? I plan on being here for a couple of years while I put myself through school. I just want to be able to walk down the street and not completely avoid eye contact.

3 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

Do you really think Covid is making things worse? I plan on being here for a couple of years while I put myself through school. I just want to be able to walk down the street and not completely avoid eye contact.

Something you might want to consider is that most Thai people are falling for the CCP line on covid they believe that it came from America

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

Avoid Thais in Thailand? Where do I go? No one really answered my question about where the strongest expat community is. Even the Expats are bothering me. They stare like they think they are Thais or something... Bloody hypocrites!! 

sorry but the only answer to that attitude is for you to go home. You really should not be here.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, misterjames said:

Something you might want to consider is that most Thai people are falling for the CCP line on covid they believe that it came from America

I pray to Buddha thats not true! I will lose so much respect.