28 drought-stricken provinces declared disaster zones

snoop1130

28 drought-stricken provinces declared disaster zones

By The Nation

800_a05ad2d762bd5c1.jpg

The Interior Ministry’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has named 28 provinces as disaster areas due to drought and is mobilising agencies to provide immediate relief through measures such as digging wells, pumping water, building a tank and distributing water among residents.

Monton Sudprasert, the department’s director general, said 160 districts, home to 7,306 villages, in the 28 provinces were now facing drought.

Of the drought-hit provinces, eight are in the North, namely Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Phetchabun, Chiang Mai and Phitsanulok.

Ten in the Northeast, namely Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nakhon Phanom, Sakon Nakhon, Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Chaiyaphum and Si Sa Ket.

Nine drought-hit provinces are in the Central region and the East, namely Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Kanchanaburi, Suphanburi, Chachoengsao, Prachinburi, Chanthaburi and Chonburi, while one is in the South, namely Songkhla.

In line with the severe water shortage, the department has been campaigning for each sector to use water economically and is urging farmers to adjust their operations in line with the situation.

People suffering from drought can call 1784 any time of the day or night for immediate assistance.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387520

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-08

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

That's 847 BILLION cubic metres of water a year.

It's estimated that during the catastrophic flood of 2011, 30 billion cubic meters (of freshwater) flowed into the gulf.

• Like 2

I watched a documentary a few years ago about a state in India where farmers are encouraged to "harvest rain water". If my memory serves me correctly, they even receive financial assistance to off set the cost. Very simple but effective underground storage tanks. I'll never understand why more people here don't do the same. 

A neighbour of mine had 3 huge tanks built at the side of his house donkeys' years ago. 

Once I get my shed built, I plan on having the same built. 

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Odd that any country in the tropics has a water shortage. Thailand gets 1651 mm of rain a year. That's 847 BILLION cubic metres of water a year.

So you think that everywhere in TH from Maesot to Betong it's the same amount of rain water and that this amount every year is exactly the same? Sure there could be done much more technically, but mother nature has her own rules too.

20 hours ago, djayz said:

I watched a documentary a few years ago about a state in India where farmers are encouraged to "harvest rain water". If my memory serves me correctly, they even receive financial assistance to off set the cost. Very simple but effective underground storage tanks. I'll never understand why more people here don't do the same. 

A neighbour of mine had 3 huge tanks built at the side of his house donkeys' years ago. 

Once I get my shed built, I plan on having the same built. 

But from where will you get the water to mix the concrete to do your shed and water tanks? 

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

But from where will you get the water to mix the concrete to do your shed and water tanks? 

The village I live in has a great wayer supply. According to the missus, they've never had water issues with the mains. 

• Like 1

It's estimated that during the catastrophic flood of 2011, 30 billion cubic meters (of freshwater) flowed into the gulf.

And how and where is the storing  of this water to be done for that dry day

9 minutes ago, djayz said:

The village I live in has a great wayer supply. According to the missus, they've never had water issues with the mains. 

In my village the water comes from a communal tank, run by the village boss. At the moment he turns it off at 7pm until 7am because some guys were nicking it before their meters. He adds on a charge for the service and for someone to read the meter, making it Bht 25 per unit instead of 10.5. I have my own 1000 litre tank & pump, but that's getting empty now. 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, Henryford said:

Odd that any country in the tropics has a water shortage. Thailand gets 1651 mm of rain a year. That's 847 BILLION cubic metres of water a year.

I would like to know where you got this figure from .I am in Lopburi Provence and last year we got 623 mm of rain, the year before we got 1073 mm,and 3years ago we got 1050 mm of rain .

A far cry from your figure , must have come from Rayong province ,know as the wetest province in Thailand ,certainly not from here.and I would say a lot of other provinces.  

• Like 1

Isaan covers 1/3 the land area of Thailand, and sits the center of the SE Asia peninsula, furthest from any ocean or gulf. It gets temperature extremes and suffers both droughts and flash flooding.