“Successful” Thailand hangs its fate on vaccine quest

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

If there is no vaccine, COVID-19 will ensure that all governments need large sums of money similarly, whether they are democratic, dictatorial, conservative or liberal.

that's the good and bad thing, the virus doesn't discriminate or segregate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know! I know! (waving hand like 9 yr old) I know the answer!

We're doomed. Esp if we have to wait for Thai vaccine & actual vaccines not allowed in

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mr mr said:

my god is this stuff actually happening ? that divider thing is so stupid it is laughable.

It is bureaucracy. To comply to the ordinance now it is every where. 

I think it will be lot more effective just to ban all Chinese tourist. 

Don't rely on that cheap tourist.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, mr mr said:

my god is this stuff actually happening ? that divider thing is so stupid it is laughable. so you can sit on a scooter together while on your way to eat but gotta divide while you do ? 

Of course the fact that someone else could sit down wouldn't cross your narrow mind.

Anything for a whinge.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't think these "dividers" are mandatory....

But social distancing is. Without the divider you couldn't have anyone sat on the opposite side of the table.

23 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

As you say, the rules, in most countries, appear to be both arbitrary and inconsistent. 

What rules, what countries? Very few allow eating in any form of restaurant.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

But social distancing is. Without the divider you couldn't have anyone sat on the opposite side of the table.

I'm not sure it applies to family members eating together...

Plus outside of BKK (if at all), pretty sure no-one will be enforcing plastic dividers...

There will be a vaccine, this story is fear mongering and a none starter.

the reason why is because covid 19 doesn’t mutate quickly. 

That is the simple reason. 

there is already a vaccine in the uk being tested on humans.

Edited by NightSky

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What rules, what countries? Very few allow eating in any form of restaurant.

I did not reference restaurants in my post. I was talking about general inconsistencies, but the fact that you mention few countries allowing eating in restaurants is in fact an inconsistency. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Plus outside of BKK (if at all), pretty sure no-one will be enforcing plastic dividers...

If you can find the wording that says this in the social distancing rules I shall of course be grateful.

The dividers are not necessary, provided you are the prescribed distance from other diners.

6 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I did not reference restaurants in my post. I was talking about general inconsistencies, but the fact that you mention few countries allowing eating in restaurants is in fact an inconsistency. 

Only if you believe that every country is in the same position regarding exit strategy.

The reality is somewhat different and each country will do what they consider appropriate. It would be delusional to think that any "consistent" arrangement would suit all.

• Like 1

No vaccine for SARS, MERS, Ebola. Why?

No one knows.

No profit me thinks.

Now with millions infected, thousands of fatalities, worldwide shutdown a sizeable profit  can be made. Esp if countries make it mandatory. Or requirement for international travel. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

The plastic dividers are widely used around here, hospitals, banks, shops as well as food venues. It would be up to the venue concerned if the divider was allowed to be removed from the table, after all it is them that would be held liable.

The bigger problem is people sat side by side. I have seen pictures where tables have been pushed together so diners facing each other are properly spaced and the screens are the other way round, between people sat side by side.

7 minutes ago, GSFISM said:

No vaccine for SARS, MERS, Ebola. Why?

They have been working on the MERS vaccine since 2013 and still doing so, SARS is probably tied in with that research.

There are vaccines for Ebola, I believe on of them is under investigation in respect of covid-19.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A possible bright side for Thai people is that politics, too, will have to adapt drastically or nobody will win.

There is no bride side politically for Thais.   They are just told what to do and what to think.  A few civically minded, brave people stand up to the junta, but the junta will remain. 

As far as annoculations go, that is a long way away if ever.  

• Like 1

It is not totally unreasonable to worry about whether an effective vaccine will materialize or not but the approach being taken with the current crop of candidates is scientifically designed to maximize effectiveness and deal with any evolution of the virus.  Even so, there is a need to consider life without a vaccine and figure out how to get on with it without shutting down the economy or keeping people indoors.  One reason Thailand has been so successful relative to other countries is that we have three enemies of the virus in abundance:  Sunshine, heat and humidity.  I expected to see a Songkran spike but it didn’t happen, I believe because so many people were outdoors at the time.  Let’s use that advantage.

• Like 2