Flatten the Curve or Eliminate the Virus?

30 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Reading skills not quite up to snuff?  Taiwan never had a full lockdown.  New Zealand and Australia, who also managed the infection extremely well and have effectively eliminated the virus, are considering retaining the ban on incoming flights and allowing travel only between their two countries.  That's how you keep the infection out until it has run its course among the badly governed nations.

Unless you are in NZ you should not use such words as "managed" "extremely well" and "effectively eliminated". Only thing done well, IMO, was closing the border. The government has just been lucky, IMO. The virus has not, of course been eliminated. The virus is with us always from now on, and is just waiting for end of lockdown and new victims, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Can you "eliminate" the virus. How did that work out for the cold/flu viruses?

If you were willing to undergo the intensive public health burden of testing, isolating infected individuals, and tracing their contacts for more isolating, yes, you could contain common cold viruses and flu viruses.  But each year there are new mutated versions of those viruses, so you would have to carry out that intensive operation every year.  Instead they try to guess which flu strain will dominate for the coming season, develop a specific vaccine against that strain, and innoculate as many people as possible to achie as much herd immunity as they can.  Some years it works well when the guess about the dominant strain is correct.  Other years, they miss entirely and the vaccine fails.   The common cold viruses are generally non-lethal, so they don't devote the effort there.

What you can't eliminate with the flu virus is the generation of a new strain the next year because a duck virus crosses into the pig population in China and creates a new strain for humans each years.  You might eliminate it completely if you could persuade the Chinese to go vegan completely.

By contrast the small pox virus did not mutate much if at all.  So, it was eliminated in the 1980's, permanently as far as we know.  The measles virus apparently does not mutate, but there is an effective vaccine, so elimination is not paramount.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

If you look at the countries that have been most successful at containing the virus...Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and China and Thailand too....all these countries enforced stay at home, social distancing, wearing of masks, hygiene with sanitisers etc.. they have all reached a point now where they can now quickly identify new infections.. act quickly and prevent the spread..

Re NZ ( I can't speak for the others ) social distancing, wearing of masks, You've been following the propaganda- social distancing yes, OUTSIDE, but where people are allowed to congregate not much, and masks are NOT required - where I live hardly anyone wears one.

I can only speak for where I live as we are not permitted to travel far and I have not done so.

reached a point now where they can now quickly identify new infections.. act quickly

Do tell. Some would disagree with that.

There are virtually no new cases and only 22 deaths- IMO due in the main to border closure and 14 day quarantine for all arrivals.

According to many, we should have been released from level 3 lockdown 2 weeks ago.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Yes, In some areas of those countries SOME hospitals were nearing being overwhelmed and lockdowns flattened the curve and relieved the stress. But most hospitals globally have not been anywhere near being overwhelmed. 

America has a huge landmass and large population. What happens in New York does not need to apply to Florida (for example). 

So what do we do. Thailand for example is wrecking its economy over 50-something deaths. Does that seem reasonable to you? Doesn’t to me. 

I think this is all a learning curve, example, your walking along and see all these people running in your direction screaming, you would automatically turn and run and try asking people passing you what is happening while you're also running in fear.

So you have started running without knowing what is happening, same applies here, so to speak, albeit it countries had time to think, but leaders were advised from professionals in their respective fields and then had to make a decision, right or wrong, when the sheeet hits the fan, if it ever does, then they will fall on their swords, or should I say, be pushed onto their swords, that said, Trump is going to lose the next election IMO, people need someone to blame.

Welcome to the new world. going to take a while for a lot of people to get back on their feet, change of jobs, loss of properties, change of countries and lifestyles, for those who have money as back up, will not be impacted.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Not true.

Just so we are very clear on what you are proposing here, and what your point is:

You do not agree that SARS, MERS, and Ebola are much less infectious and much more fatal? 

42 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Keep ignoring the facts

Im not ignoring anything, I am all-in on an objective discussion but unfortunately, for some reason, it is you that is ignoring 'facts' and tossing aside objectivity. 

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Just so we are very clear on what you are proposing here, and what your point is:

You do not agree that SARS, MERS, and Ebola are much less infectious and much more fatal? 

Im not ignoring anything, I am all-in on an objective discussion but unfortunately, for some reason, it is you that is ignoring 'facts' and tossing aside objectivity. 

Not me, but the US National Institute of Health wrote that the infection rate of SARS is comparable to Covid-19.  Do you miss the citation?  I don't have the figures on MERS and other epidemic diseases.

But whatever the reproduction rate of the infection or the IFR the best practice is the same: test, isolate, trace contacts.  This method was successful against SARS.  It worked against Ebola led by the Obama government.  It has also worked against Covid not only in the 5 countries cited, but also in Mainland China after they initially bungled their response requiring them to lockdown first Wuhan and then Hubei Province.  Subsequently, the Chinese government never had to lockdown the whole country although they did put in social distancing and enforcement quarantines of infected persons, along with testing, isolation, and contact tracing.  And they succeeded. Today China has a very low new case rate.

You evidently believe that it was the unique contagion rate of Covid that made it uncontrollable rather than the gross incompetence of all of the Western countries who squandered their opportunity to apply the proven best practices of the Asian countries.  Well, that case is demonstrably untenable.

Here's China's new case rate against the US on a log scale.  As you can see China never had the sustained new case rate that the US currently has even though they cat got out of the bag.  

image.png.ed26cc516433a27df07e9416c992e343.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

The narrative on managing Coronavirus seems to be shifting to something way off from what was once "Flatten the Curve". Economies were shut down to do just that, flatten the curve. 

The objective was to flatten the curve so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed. At least in the USA that hasn't happened. Nobody who needed care was unable to get care. Flattening the curve meant the same amount of people will get hospitalized and possibly die, but over a longer period of time. 

Now the narrative is trying to be changed by some to be "Test and Trace" and "Testing Testing Testing" in order to open up economies and get things moving again, and I agree testing is a good tool but it shouldn't stop economies from opening up. 

Are there many economies that are not (slowly) opening up now or have planned dates in the near future?

Seems it's almost a trick of time, we think nothing is changing but actually most countries which had a really bad March will be significantly more open in May, no?

It also makes sense for countries to try to do this slowly. Incrementally open things up and see how that effects new cases.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chessman said:

This is just not true! Sars stopped because as more research was done with it, it was discovered that it only became transmissible quite late after people got it. This meant if you could catch early cases and quarantine them completely you could eliminate it. This happened. This is much more difficult to do with COVID because there are more asymptomatic carriers and it might be transmissible earlier after it is caught.

But it wouldn't be impossible for all the research being done now to find something that was effective in fighting it.

But we already know the answer to that.  For a while Thailand was the center of infection outside of China.  Then S. Korea surpassed Thailand and became # 2.  But S. Korea had already put into place a huge testing program which they had planned as part of the reforms after they bungled MERS.  In Dec. 2019 they organized 20 Korean companies to produce test kits in quantity.  They set up drive-in test sites.  They isolated positives and did contact tracing.  S. Korea has a population of 51 million right next to China.  Their number of infections is about 11,000 and the number of deaths is 256.  Their daily new case count is 5.

So, why are you in doubt as to how effectively to fight Covid?  What is the part of this that you are not getting?

image.png.05b6aeaa78645746f74624da1f33ac92.png

5 minutes ago, chessman said:

I genuinely don't know anyone who thinks this or have read one person who has recommended this.

People have said things won't be back to normal until there is a vaccine but this is very different.

Fair enough- so if we just lockdown the way we just have for 2 months every 5-10 years?  Is that a scalable solution in your opinion?  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tlock said:

Fair enough- so if we just lockdown the way we just have for 2 months every 5-10 years?  Is that a scalable solution in your opinion?

But this is the first time something like this has happened in our lifetimes. Am not sure why we should expect it to happen every 5-10 years.

What is more likely to happen is that countries become more prepared (as South Korea did) and are ready to take on the virus from the moment there are confirmed cases.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

But we already know the answer to that.  For a while Thailand was the center of infection outside of China.  Then S. Korea surpassed Thailand and became # 2.  But S. Korea had already put into place a huge testing program which they had planned as part of the reforms after they bungled MERS.  In Dec. 2019 they organized 20 Korean companies to produce test kits in quantity.  They set up drive-in test sites.  They isolated positives and did contact tracing.  S. Korea has a population of 51 million right next to China.  Their number of infections is about 11,000 and the number of deaths is 256.  Their daily new case count is 5.

So, why are you in doubt as to how effectively to fight Covid?  What is the part of this that you are not getting?

No arguments from me, I'm pretty certain that when the dust settles and people analyze went wrong, the conclusions will be centered around  a lack of preparedness and then not taking action when it was clear that what was happening in Wuhan was serious.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Maybe the herd immunity went through Thailand in early December ?

I do not know.

A real bummer is Sth Korea yesterday where the bars opened up & 50 reported cases already

I think that's kind of the point of the OP- flatten the curve never meant eliminate the virus.  Any re-openings will lead to more cases.  I think it's possible we are still finding cases in 10 years, unless we forcibly vaccinate the entire planet.

31 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Oh dear, another Buddy of Donald. 

The more people are tested the more cases you'll have. And that Thailand got only a marginal number of cases or deaths doesn't mean the virus avoided Thailand. 

Just compare Thailand's testing number of 10.000 a week with 500.000 per week in EU countries! 

Do your own mathematics. 

Thailand's economy is build on tourism. 

No tourists no income 

So it's quite obvious to have a low or no number of cases hoping that the tourists will come back soon. 

Marter your own brain. 

And somebody who is still thinking Corona is comparable with a flu can't either think or read or got a lack of knowledge or common sense or even brain maybe. 

I think trump is an idiot, but I also think extending the lockdowns will have more devastating consequences long term than lifting them.  

• Like 2