Crackdown on street vendors?

Thailand

Just came back from picking up some non essentials and passed a Wat in Mae Hia that has had vendors outside selling fruit and veg for many years today all the stalls were gone.

Another directive from the ptb?These little stalls were always busy so looks like more people out of work.

There are many possible explanations which do not mean more people out of work. 

Also almost nothing to support "A crackdown on street vendors".

Oh, this must be "drive around and jump to conclusions day".  Lets all grab out gas money and get out there.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

About 2 weeks ago I saw the same thing in CM outside area of city. Truck full of about 12 city officials in their cream colored uniforms swarming on vendors in front of a school that is a normal place to sell with police on the sidelines. Low and behold they next went to the open market I was at with my wife. Then on the way back home going past the school 80% of the vendors were not there. So you will see a lot of this in and out as they in places will use their own authority and discretion as they please. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, piewarmer said:

So it seems we're not opening up soon

Not quite

According from a reliable source.

Maerim Markets at the Plaza reopen next Tuesday arvo/evening 

and one cannot be served Alcolhol at any eatery  in the Plaza ????

20 minutes ago, nightbird said:

In general, street vendors have been targeted by the gov't since Prayut came to power. Most of BKK has been scrubbed of street vendors, but it's hard to kill it altogether. They keep popping up and many pay off the local gendarmes. Thai people like street markets. It's part of the culture and flavor that makes it easy for folks to shop and eat. 

Unfortunately. Would be good if the government were able to see through its policy. to eliminate street vendors. They are a major traffic hazard and cause accidents, not just with their very slow modified mopeds but also with their total disregard for traffic rules. 

At first I also had sympathy for the poor street vendors, but when you realise what kind of problems they cause in an already problematic traffic it makes total sense to address that issue.

Most of the street food is of very poor quality anyway. Better to go to a good restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 8

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

About 2 weeks ago I saw the same thing in CM outside area of city. Truck full of about 12 city officials in their cream colored uniforms swarming on vendors in front of a school that is a normal place to sell with police on the sidelines. Low and behold they next went to the open market I was at with my wife. Then on the way back home going past the school 80% of the vendors were not there. So you will see a lot of this in and out as they in places will use their own authority and discretion as they please. 

Authority yes, but discretion?? They just don't have the brains or common sense to use discretion.

Discretion is something no Thai should ever have.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

Unfortunately. Would be good if the government were able to see through its policy. to eliminate street vendors. They are a major traffic hazard and cause accidents, not just with their very slow modified mopeds but also with their total disregard for traffic rules. 

At first I also had sympathy for the poor street vendors, but when you realise what kind of problems they cause in an already problematic traffic it makes total sense to address that issue.

Most of the street food is of very poor quality anyway. Better to go to a good restaurant.

Lets not forget they park themselves right in the middle of the pavement so you still have to walk in the road. For instance, Soi 11 Suk, all newly re paved, now its a heaven for the vendors, but the people whom live there, the tourist(s) if they come back or anyone whom dares to walk down this street its confronted by having to side step them in the road only having now to tackle the speeding motor cycle taxi. For me Soi 11 is to be avoided and these vendors should all be removed or located in an area whereby they don't represent a hazard.

Who wants a bowl of MSG anyhow?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, johng said:

Totally disagree with you,although this "government"  seems intent on destroying them the street vendors are hard working, self sufficient, industrious entrepreneurs giving the country a world renowned

characterful  "street food" reputation offering a wide choice of cheap,fast food in a convenient way....

yes quality and sanitation varies..same as at a "good restaurant"

quite a few "working class" Thais simply can't afford to spend half a months wages on one

"good restaurant" meal.

As for the traffic problem  IMHO most are caused by the speeding drunk or drugged up car,truck,bus drivers  not a slow coach food vendor ????

There are many traffic problems, but the extremely slow street vendor on his modified extra-wide, extra slow moped contraption, driving in opposite direction to the traffic as if traffic rules don't apply to them, holding up everyone in an infuriatingly slow-motion style driving is for sure one of the accident hazards in Thailand. Seen it with my own eyes.

I'm sure many street vendors are hard working and industrious, and indeed quality varies widely, there is the good one, but overall they are better off at markets or designated areas. Singapore has shown with its hawker centres how it's done. If good food culture can survive in hawker centres in Singapore, the same could work in Thailand. 

I've sampled Thai street food on occasion. The Hawker centres in Singapore are better.

• Sad 1

The two main losers from this pandemic in my opinion will be the reckless right wing populists who didn't take care of their people in an attempt to keep their economies going like Bolsonaro, Trump and Boris.  And the control freak right wing little Hitler authoritarians who used COVID as an excuse to grab more power for themselves and restrict the freedoms of their people through threats and crackdowns... like Prayut.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

oh come on, that was and is the big charme, street life and freedom of the people in Thailand.

Should we all checkin to MK or Santa Fe now? ;-(

Does everybody want to remove and change everything now? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

This virus gives government officials carteblanc to do whatever they want to whomever they want...

A new world is emerging out of the pandemic...without firing a shot...governments are dispensing with personal freedoms at an unprecedented rate.

A few years from now people will have forgotten how they once roamed the world, their country without checkpoints and engaged in unrestricted commerce.

lol. Oh gawd, here we go again. It's the new world order! The Illuminati are having their way! Look, the earth is flat too, see! They should have been shutdown already to be fair, but if anything, it would be a mere Phrayut continuing his sterilisation of the country... which would've come with or without the virus. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

It’s cheap affordable and served people on the go,school kids and general workers.

Many poor Thais have no cooking facilities and can’t afford the little extra price of a restaurant.

Its also part of south East Asian culture.

Asian street foodmarkets were getting quite big in london,(before corona) you'd pay a bit more than Thailand though.

13 hours ago, nightbird said:

They keep popping up and many pay off the local gendarmes.

Last week I was at a market here in Bangkok. I noticed a man walking around, going from vendor to vendor, and all of them gave him 20 Baht. I recognized the color of the banknote ???? ???? ????  He didn't say anything, just walked from vendor to vendor to get money. 

Does anyone know what this could be for?

3 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Last week I was at a market here in Bangkok. I noticed a man walking around, going from vendor to vendor, and all of them gave him 20 Baht. I recognized the color of the banknote ???? ???? ????  He didn't say anything, just walked from vendor to vendor to get money. 

Does anyone know what this could be for?

Probably the fee/rent they pay to retain their pitch?