do you acknowledge other farangs?

31 minutes ago, n210mp said:

I will say though the quality of the Farang Population in the last ten years has diminished.  Could  say more on that subject but I am sure many of my peers feel the same way and understand where I am coming from.

Now in my mid 70s I am a little more reserved in proffering the hand of friendship as I was a few years ago, this to the extent because  I am so fed up of being disappointed with those who managed to get into my circle.

Would love if you elaborated more around this.

Early 2000 it was the odd new friend who asked you to borrow money, or join in a great business proposal. Some of who later made the headlines, financial scams, real estate, blackmail, arrested, bailed out and fled the country. I found it entertaining and amusing. Always love it, when a fellow expat underestimate me.

Since 2010 many expats has left, failed marriage, business bankrupt. Since 2015 many couldn't get visa extension.

Last years seems calm to me, obvious lack of western expats compared with before 2015.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

But please don't try to take things any further.

That goes for anyone else reading this post.

Especially you steven100.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Are you sure you not in China? Normaly i don't watch Thai Granny who cover her varicose vein!

ive seen very large percentage of thai & cambodia woman

using socks in their flip flops, and certainly the majority of them

who cook uses socks.

about thai/falang men using socks, pretty 50/50,

which is why i find it a strange that falangs gets singled out

for this dress code, if anything, its local woman

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seajae said:

lot of arrogant a holes here, I will usually smile and say hi or goodaye mate, some return it or simply nod but a lot  look the other way and ignore you, head stuck too far up their butts, doesnt bother me really. Arrogant pieces if garbage have never bothered me, seems many of them come here to hide from people, makes you wonder what they have done to be so pathetic when they are out and about, I was always taught it is good manners to recipricate a greeting, guess all the ones that dont are just too far up themselves and think their s##t dont stink

"doesnt bother me really"

From the tone of your post I'd say it does bother you, quite a lot ????

Edited by CG1 Blue

3 hours ago, UbonThani said:

You only need 2 or 3 friends.

Experience is the best teacher . 

15 years ago , Udon was brilliant , not many farangs we  met in farlang alley , a great community .

Those days , have sadly gone . Udon is now westernised  .

Aka farlang city ..

Edited by elliss

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i had problems with a scot and a guy from london,

it was such a struggle so i did my best to escape the dialog

Could be worse mate , i once met a guy from Wet Wales ,

Daialog , was impossible , never again , best avoided ..

Edited by elliss

Back in 1978 there were very few farangs in the town of Loei.  Mostly volunteers, missionaries and one monk. I was at the MIL's house one day and one of the kids spotted two farangs walking down in the riverbed.  I hailed them and they came up for a chat.  Nice young Irish couple traveling to out of the way places.  MIL invited them in for dinner and we had a good time.

Nowadays there are many.  There's a saloon and also a new biker bar where many gather.

image.png.00f547864a83239f0fdd6b3abd9d7931.png

image.png

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

The English have Knotted Hankie on Head, and a dialect that anyone non native that learned in Europe finds stupid. Your Queen speaks Properly,

You obviously talking about me chum?

• Haha 1

I have a very good friend I met many years ago through Thaivisa who is a very prominent member, and lives about 130 Ks from me, we see each other regularly, though not just now because of the virus, like me he does not drink or smoke and we have much the same views on things.

7 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Not Sure, but i do acknowledge all ferangs by giving them a tremendous blast on the horn if they walk over pedestrian crossings as if they are back home.

I do that too, followed by the two finger wave !!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, georgegeorgia said:

82yo and new to Thailand had posted that he was in a Big C up in the deep isaan standing outside a changing room waiting for his Thai GF

Only in Thailand a 82 year-old pensioned farang has a Thai GF. In his home country billinoires, or at least millinoires, will have GFs. Now I know  why farangs come to Thailand. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Only in Thailand a 82 year-old pensioned farang has a Thai GF. In his home country billinoires, or at least millinoires, will have GFs. Now I know  why farangs come to Thailand. 

Gemans prefer Boy Friends.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Guess your days are mostly silent.

I live a life of quiet contemplation, with only the Father, Son and Holy Ghost for company.

Don't get me wrong, individually they're great guys, and I can have some interesting conversations.

The Father, likes to inseminate underage virgins .......

The Son, hangs out with hookers and drinks a lot of wine (formerly water) ......

The Holy Ghost is not quite so much fun ......

All in all, we have a lot of interests in common.

But when they gather together in my head, they tend to argue with each other, and that can become unbearable.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I live a life of quiet contemplation, with only the Father, Son and Holy Ghost for company.

Don't get me wrong, individually they're great guys, and I cave have some interesting conversations.

But when they gather together in my head, they tend to argue with each other, and that can become unbearable.

Stop winding fredy up you infidel.

Whoops same God different outfit sorry my mistake BMToo

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I nod to every falang I see and have some new friends because of it, as does my wife with their wives. I don't understand the ones that want to run away. I'm sure there are some that are here hiding away from something they did wrong in their native country but that's got to be just a select few. I would think, with a lot of us either feeling out of place, disrespected or plain ignored by Thais, that we would yearn for some familiar company. It doesn't matter to me where they come from, because that's a way to learn more about other countries, especially if they speak English. I've been here almost two straight years, along with visiting for 3 more before I moved here, and I'm still looking for a fishing partner. Fishing here is only good in private places it seems, because the locals net the lakes dry, not understanding conservation, so I'd like to find someone that knows a few places where we can go together, especially in south Isaan where I live. I'm a catch and release fisherman so they wouldn't have to worry about me keeping fish. Falangs can relate to each other, so I don't understand the problem some have, but each to his own.

That reminds me of the two farang blokes who found themselves sitting in a bar next to each other and got chatting, usual casual conversation about how long they had lived in Thailand, what visa they were on and so forth. After a few drinks one asked:

"Tell me, if you got blind drunk, passed out and woke up the next morning with a used condom hanging out of your butt, would you tell anyone?"

He said: "Of course not! I'd too bloody embarrassed!"

First guy whispered: "Would you like to come camping with me?"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 473geo said:

I nodded and smiled at all I met, the cyclists, and there were many, probably 85% responded with a nod or a wave, pedestrians walking by the roadside about 80% so with a nod or a smile, I guess the fact the I do the same in Thailand and have about the same acknowledgement rate rather stuffs up your theory.

Unless of course I am something of an exception, yes perhaps that could be it

I'll stick to my theory that's not been stuffed-up based on one persons actions in a rather limited social area!   Yes, I think you are the exception.