Samut Prakan: Woman dies, 20 seriously ill after eating traders' "khanom jeep"

webfact

Samut Prakan: Woman dies, 20 seriously ill after eating traders' "khanom jeep"

4pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Twenty people fell sick with food poisoning and one 66 year old woman died after eating the popular Thai snack "khanom jeep". 

The snack is a steamed pork dumpling eaten with soy sauce. 

Reporters went to the temple of Wat Nong Prue in Bang Plee district of Samut Prakan where 73 year old Prasert Oncharoen had been let out of hospital to perform bathing rites for his wife Thanu, 66, who succumbed to the food poisoning. 

Many in the family and about twenty in the area fell ill after eating the snack sold by a trader selling that and other food items on a motorcycle near a vegetable allotment on Wednesday afternoon. 

Symptoms took a while to show but by midnight many people were violently ill and in the morning several were hospitalized. The woman who died was allowed to go home but symptoms persisted and she died. 

Relatives said just one person in the family did not have khanom jeep and she was fine. 

A sample of the dipping sauce reportedly contained a poisonous substance, said the media as the family called for an investigation. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-11

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Ok I'll be first.

I've only been been really sick once from eating street food in all the years I've been here.

I have to add that in all the years I've been here I've eaten street food only once.

I spent two weeks with candy and cookies for two weeks in Vietnam two years ago. 

It was frightening just by looking at it. 

Edited by Retarded
  • Haha 1

Got to be careful here. I've had food poisoning that put me in hospital (from a restaurant), and I've had e Coli from a restaurant that took weeks to recover because it was misdiagnosed at first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trentham said:

Rubbish! I eat street food all the time and in 15 years not once been sick from it. I have been very ill 3 times, once after fried rice with crab from a food court in Phitsanulok and twice from high end Italian restaurants in Bangkok.

I too have eaten street food for over 20 years here and never once have I had food poisoning. However, one thing I rarely do is add any sauce that's included as, from experience, it's always too sweet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Trentham said:

Rubbish! I eat street food all the time and in 15 years not once been sick from it. I have been very ill 3 times, once after fried rice with crab from a food court in Phitsanulok and twice from high end Italian restaurants in Bangkok.

Timing from eating something that makes you ill can very from 8 to 48 hours. To know exactly what meal made you sick would require keeping a sample of every meal or snack you've had and having them checked along with whatever you've thrown up or squirted out.

To state what made you actually sick is at best a good guess without the above.

In this reported case it's easier because they appear to have the source of the food poisoning.

If one fly sh-ts on one of your prawns only and only you get sick and the other 5 guests don't get sick they will all say it can't have been the prawns, we're all ok.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

????

To be honest it doesn't actually have to sh-t. The way a fly eats it's to spit it's acidic saliva on the food and that makes a nice soft jelly of the food so the fly can easily suck it up to feed. There is also the delightful thought that it may have been standing on a dog poo and as far as I know they don't wipe their feet prior to landing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

To be honest it doesn't actually have to sh-t. The way a fly eats it's to spit it's acidic saliva on the food and that makes a nice soft jelly of the food so the fly can easily suck it up to feed. There is also the delightful thought that it may have been standing on a dog poo and as far as I know they don't wipe their feet prior to landing.

more ????  

3 hours ago, Trentham said:

So you know who poisoned you...?

Do you eat once every two or three days to be so sure of the culprit.......?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh dear ....

so it appears at this stage to be the soy dipping sauce, I suspect it was home made by the motorcycle cart vendor. 

A problem with these food sellers is they start at 9.00am and move around all day and the food sits in a glass cabinet stinking hot with the odd fly having morning tea on it and the vendor still sells that same sausage or crab stick or dumpling at 5.00pm .... some 8 hours later .....  what would one expect   ?

And don't forget the amount of times she went for a number 1 or 2 without washing her hands!!!????????????????????????????????

15 minutes ago, transam said:

So you know who poisoned you...?

Do you eat once every two or three days to be so sure of the culprit.......?

I knew when I contributed to this forum there would be some nitpickers out there who would have a go at me. So let me explain. Before retiring I was a qualified chef and have a good understanding of food hygiene. The day before leaving Bkk for Nan I had prepared all my own food. The morning I left my breakfast was just fresh fruit. I stopped at a food court at Tesco in Phitsanulok and bought my khao pad Poo. As I was eating it I felt something was wrong. By the time I was in Nan I was quite ill and remained so for 11 days. The doctors said it was definitely the rice. The next case was entirely my fault. I was in an Italian restaurant seated near a fine display of appetisers which were not refrigerated so I knew I was taking a risk. 6 hours later I was violently ill and had diarrhea. That continued for 6 hours and then I was OK. That is the classic symptom of salmonella poisoning - 6 hours to onset and 6 hours of illness. The third time was after eating at another Italian restaurant and I am assuming it was from there considering I have been eating street food for 15 years and have never been ill except those on 3 occasions. Surely if street food was so risky I would have been sick many more times.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Trentham said:

I knew when I contributed to this forum there would be some nitpickers out there who would have a go at me. So let me explain. Before retiring I was a qualified chef and have a good understanding of food hygiene. The day before leaving Bkk for Nan I had prepared all my own food. The morning I left my breakfast was just fresh fruit. I stopped at a food court at Tesco in Phitsanulok and bought my khao pad Poo. As I was eating it I felt something was wrong. By the time I was in Nan I was quite ill and remained so for 11 days. The doctors said it was definitely the rice. The next case was entirely my fault. I was in an Italian restaurant seated near a fine display of appetisers which were not refrigerated so I knew I was taking a risk. 6 hours later I was violently ill and had diarrhea. That continued for 6 hours and then I was OK. That is the classic symptom of salmonella poisoning - 6 hours to onset and 6 hours of illness. The third time was after eating at another Italian restaurant and I am assuming it was from there considering I have been eating street food for 15 years and have never been ill except those on 3 occasions. Surely if street food was so risky I would have been sick many more times.

So you've been a chef, so you know all about hygiene yet you eat from a street stalls that has no implementation of hygiene .....Hmmmmm...OK.????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Ok I'll be first.

I've only been been really sick once from eating street food in all the years I've been here.

I have to add that in all the years I've been here I've eaten street food only once.

Ok if i understand that correctly, you have only eaten street food once and you were ill once.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1