Samut Prakan: Woman dies, 20 seriously ill after eating traders' "khanom jeep"

webfact

8 hours ago, Retarded said:

It said soy source and then dipping source. 

Which one is it?

Whichever one it was, it was the SAUCE that was the source of the poisoning.

Edited by hotchilli

2 hours ago, Almer said:

Ok if i understand that correctly, you have only eaten street food once and you were ill once.

Only once ate crab from a vendor and puked and sh-t for a day or two after.

I am not a fan of Thai food I must say.

Even going out to the one or two beach places with friends and wives I eat at home first.

I am, if I may say so quite a good cook and prefer my own cooking to overpriced fried some sort of meat with weeds or whatever covered in chilli or MSG to give it taste.

• Like 1

I always tell people be careful in the low season they dont throw anything away and it's not refrigerated I spent a lot of time in India and people used to tell me dont touch the sauces if you buy street food

Off the topic of Thai food making people sick.

My worst case of food poisoning was in Santa Cruz, California.    Pretty sure it was the barbecue pork from a barbecue meat place.  All the other food I had eaten for several days was from packaged military meals. 

I was so sick, I begged a friend to shoot me in the head.  He laughed!  

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 1:32 PM, trainman34014 said:

Ever looked inside a Restaurant Kitchen in South East Asia ?    If you had you would never eat in one !

I like Foodland restaurant because you can see the cook and kitchen .

On 5/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, transam said:

So you've been a chef, so you know all about hygiene yet you eat from a street stalls that has no implementation of hygiene .....Hmmmmm...OK.????

Yes for somebody who a chef u should know about hygiene and I would say any normal person would to I been to street where the women was cooking chicken  and before she chop the chicken on a wood chopping board the worst board u can use and it dont matters how hard u wash in u never get the food out of at board with the knife mark  wiping the chopping board with a filthy rag and I mean a filthy I never use a wood board and if your a chef u should know the different between wood and hard plastic and why not to use a wood board 

6 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Go Vegan!

End of problem.

Don't eat dead animals.

So vegans and vegetarians don't get food poisoning ? 

You do know the dipping sauce is vegan already....made of soy beans. That was the thing that was toxic. ????

On 5/11/2020 at 6:45 AM, hotchilli said:

Whichever one it was, it was the SAUCE that was the source of the poisoning.

Somchai's Special Secret Samonella Sauce? 

I used to get coffee and a steamed bean-filled bun at a coffee shop in New York City, Chinatown.  Had to walk through the cramped kitchen to get to the rather dirty restroom.

My wife was waitress at a Chinese restaurant/bar in New Jersey.  Said that when old man Yu sold the place, they had to throw out all the equipment and gut the kitchen it was so filthy.  Thousands of roaches. 

On 5/11/2020 at 2:32 AM, trainman34014 said:

Ever looked inside a Restaurant Kitchen in South East Asia ?    If you had you would never eat in one !

Edited by Damrongsak

On 5/11/2020 at 9:33 AM, steven100 said:

oh dear ....

so it appears at this stage to be the soy dipping sauce, I suspect it was home made by the motorcycle cart vendor. 

A problem with these food sellers is they start at 9.00am and move around all day and the food sits in a glass cabinet stinking hot with the odd fly having morning tea on it and the vendor still sells that same sausage or crab stick or dumpling at 5.00pm .... some 8 hours later .....  what would one expect   ?

yes, spot on

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Go Vegan!

End of problem.

Don't eat dead animals.

au contraire misjuhh

:between 1973 and 2012, 85% of the food poisoning outbreaks in the US that were caused by leafy greens such as cabbage, kale, lettuce and spinach were traced back to food prepared in a restaurant or catering facility ( 13Trusted Source ).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-cause-food-poisoning#section2

• Like 1

It helps to know more of the story.  According to Thai news reports, the vendor allegedly picked up the food on the 7th.  When police questioned the woman who prepared the food, she said she prepared food on the 6th, but not on the 7th.  If that is the case, the vendor was responsible for 'storing' the food properly until it was delivered the next day.  

We've lived in Thailand for 23 years and seen all sort of questionable food practices......pickup trucks delivering meatballs and chicken from the city to the village markets......piled up high in the back of a open pickup truck.  No refrigeration and no knowing how long the food has been sitting in the back of a truck on a hot sunny day.  

My wife and I enjoy all sorts of Thai food.....but prepared food in the market is a gamble. It's a gamble in most any restaurant as well as the hygiene standards are far below what are practiced in the US.  But we've been fortunate to only have had food poisoning, once each, over the time we've been here.

And that remiinds me of two stories:  One, a neighbor when we first lived in town.  The family raised ducks that fed in a polluted stream by the house.  They also ground up coconut and dried it on the side of the road, then used the product to make ice-cream.  The family was very poor.  But most every day, the wife would dress up in nice clothes and pedal her umbrella-covered wagon on the sois selling ice-cream.  If you only say her, you'd think the ice-cream would be a safe bet.  But if you saw the origination of the product, you probably wouldn't.

Likewise, with the second story:  training into Bangkok one early morning, all the fruit vendors were exiting the slums next to the Bang Sue station.  Although I've never been inside the Bang Sue slums, I've been inside others much like it.  Eating fresh fruit, cleaned and cut up inside one of those slums would put the stronged expat/tourist stomach to the test.

13 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Although I've never been inside the Bang Sue slums, I've been inside others much like it.  

My Thai wife and I were once doing the sights in Bangkok and, erm, took a wrong turn.  My fault as I've little sense of direction, can walk for hours and generally none too concerned where I end up. My wife is not from BKK so she wouldn't have known either.

Suddenly we're in the middle of a slum.  I have as much empathy for these people as the next man but I had to utilise every calm muscle in my body to give the impression I didn't care where I was.  You walk past the shacks and there's no one there and then there is and it's definitely not Thai smiles territory.  

For the first time in my life I understood what squeaky bum time meant.  I've learned my lesson.