Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Any American Notaries with valid Stamps

A California notary public has no jurisdiction to perform a notarial act when physically outside the State of California. As well, you must appear in person before a California notary: the State does not authorize remote notarization.

• Thanks 1

It all comes down to what the requesting entity is willing to accept.

There are Thai law firms here, including international ones, that will do their version of notary with an official looking stamp. AFAIK, that has no legal standing in the U.S. or any of its states.

But in the past, some entities in the U.S. have been willing to accept such things. And perhaps could be persuaded to do so now particularly under the No Fly status for Thailand leaving folks stuck here.

There also are a couple of U.S. states that legally can do remote notarizations. Though last time I checked, they were as or more expensive than the (currently unavailable) U.S. Consulates. If a Thai version wouldn't suffice for the OP's requester, under the circs, maybe a remote U.S. other state notary would.

These are trying times in the U.S., and I think there's probably a greater likelihood of some flexibility because everyone knows and understands that disruptions that have occurred.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It looks like he intends to use it for a real estate document in California, and if the document's going to be registered with the County Recorder the notarization outside the U.S. must comply with Section 1183 of the California Civil Code.

http://prioritytitle.biz/website_extrapages/downloadablepdf.php?act=download&type=global&pdftemplateid=74

Those Thai "look like notary" stamps won't work since the foreign notary must then be further authenticated. 

Seriously, his only alternative, short of flying back to the U.S., is to plead his case at the embassy. You're not going to convince a registry clerk or title insurance company to "bend the rules," virus or not. It's just a waste of his time to send him off looking for fruitless alternatives.

Anecdotal experience but I sold a house in Pennsylvania last year and wanted to use my Thai lawyer who is a notary and I was told in no uncertain terms that the only acceptable notary overseas was the US Embassy 

The only wrinkle was that the deed transfer was in my name using only my middle initial, which is common in the US, but the Embassy would only accept my full name, middle name spelled out, like on my passport.  solution was to place my full name on the document with the annotation AKA (also know as) as well as the name on the deed transfer 

US now has online notary services. 

I used one couple years ago and it was excepted with no question.  Had to do video conference and he photoed me with passport.  First I had heard of it but worked, so good to go for as I am concerned.  May be option for OP.