Thailand tourist arrivals may fall by as much as 65% in 2020 due to virus outbreak

snoop1130

33 minutes ago, Paul DS said:

The tragedy is that 15.5 million tourists will be Indian and Chinese

(with 50 baht Covid free certificates!)

Where is the tragedy about the Chinese tourists? She stall owners at the Sunday Market in Chiang Mai were very sad that no Chinese are coming anymore, because "they are the people who spent most per person". An friend owns a restaurant. He says that Chinese spend 800 Baht per person, Westerns 200 Baht. Guess who he loves more. 80% of the Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai are individual travelers. 

10 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I suspect the thai "authorities" have figured out that people are not dying in the massive numbers that was touted by the media and was attempted to be predicted by computer models. The "experts" got it all wrong. And, I suspect that Thai doctors were not "incentivized" financially or pressured/advised to diagnosis Covid19 based upon signs/symptoms alone. Countries like Italy and America are diagnosing Covid19 erroneously, based on symptoms alone. I'll let you come to your own conclusion why that is. I see that Thailand has handled this whole "pandemic" very well. They did not over react in the beginning, made reasonable lock down rules, based upon the fear models by the WHO and are now realizing this is not the emergency we were all led to believe it is or was going to be. IMO, other countries have high numbers because they are creating those numbers. We now know that Covid19 is not as deadly as even the Flu. And I see it as a good thing that everyone doesn't get tested. Those tests do no test for the specific SARSCoV2 virus. There are too many false positives and negatives on that test. The test is nearly completely unreliable. Just read the fine print in the image... way too many caveats for this test to provide any fundamental basis of diagnostic efficacy. 

Covid19 Test Results.jpg

Ofcourse is unreliable, you cant have good reliability of tests with a PCR-RT... I went 2 times even i had mild symptoms both of the times negative. I know some people got tested 3 to 4 times the 4 th test was positive. Is really a mess and i think before a vaccine they should try to find reliable tests thats what i am repeating all the time. Anyway many countries now they are starting to make reseach how many people got infected with virus for example in my country Slovenia they estimated 66.000 people got infected 1400 positive tests was confirmed from 64.000 made tests and from that 100 died so what is percentage is it even 0.1%? Even if my country is bordering with Italy and areas such Lombardy, Veneto is not far, daily migrants come and go to work to Slovenia. Many countries will realise that is not such a big problem and normality in life will return soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Where is the tragedy about the Chinese tourists? She stall owners at the Sunday Market in Chiang Mai were very sad that no Chinese are coming anymore, because "they are the people who spent most per person". An friend owns a restaurant. He says that Chinese spend 800 Baht per person, Westerns 200 Baht. Guess who he loves more. 80% of the Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai are individual travelers. 

the western farang still thinks that he is Gods Present to Thailand.  He just cant get it that tourists and expats from other non western countries are also or more welcome here in Thailand.

The farang, looking down on Thais, looking down on Chinese, looks in the mirror and sees God. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

TAT seem to forget that tourism was plummeting Loooooonnnnng before any virus hit these shores. mrjames on post number 5 is optimistic that this may teach the immigration etc. to treat expats more fairly, and with less xenophobia, sorry that is just never going to happen. 

How expat are being treated has not much impact on tourist numbers, the average 2-week vacationer doesn't know nor care about 90-day reporting, bank requirements, appointments at immigration, border runs and envelopes.

They arrive (without needing a visa from EU, Australia or USA), enjoy the beach, food etc and then go back home.

No hassle for tourists at all..different, if you want to live in the country

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NB1986 said:

Ofcourse is unreliable, you cant have good reliability of tests with a PCR-RT... I went 2 times even i had mild symptoms both of the times negative. I know some people got tested 3 to 4 times the 4 th test was positive. Is really a mess and i think before a vaccine they should try to find reliable tests thats what i am repeating all the time. Anyway many countries now they are starting to make reseach how many people got infected with virus for example in my country Slovenia they estimated 66.000 people got infected 1400 positive tests was confirmed from 64.000 made tests and from that 100 died so what is percentage is it even 0.1%? Even if my country is bordering with Italy and areas such Lombardy, Veneto is not far, daily migrants come and go to work to Slovenia. Many countries will realise that is not such a big problem and normality in life will return soon. 

I agree that this situation was overhyped  The problem is that politicians 

Decided on one strategy, which destroyed the economy in many countries. They will never admit that they were wrong. 

The population has been scared to such an extent that many people will not go out when they can, which further damages the economy.

Austria was one of the first countries to shut everything down.. now the chancellor is pleading with people on Twitter to "consume locally "... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

How expat are being treated has not much impact on tourist numbers, the average 2-week vacationer doesn't know nor care about 90-day reporting, bank requirements, appointments at immigration, border runs and envelopes.

They arrive (without needing a visa from EU, Australia or USA), enjoy the beach, food etc and then go back home.

14 day quarantine is most certainly a hassle to tourists.

Not to mention all bars/restaurants/parks/beaches closed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

you can tell the government is planing on opening everything soon. 

otherwise this number would be a drop of 80%. 

look for full on business as usual maybe August or September. 

damn the virus, full speed ahead!

I told you all and very soon enough of this global media <deleted>

13 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

How expat are being treated has not much impact on tourist numbers, the averthe difference age 2-week vacationer doesn't know nor care about 90-day reporting, bank requirements, appointments at immigration, border runs and envelopes.

Maybe your for getting things like the 100000 insurance plus the certificate 72 hours before u fly plus the 14 days quarantine and your saying it will not affect tourist do u honestly think people will go running around to get them requirements and all the hassle do u think people with family with kid dragging them around for requirement anybody in there right would not bother with thailand and just go to other country with no hassle and yes easy for visa like u said u dont even know the rules yet because u can guarantee thais will have rules and if they keep these requirements in place u can 100% say goodbye thailand so let see how quick they are opening the flood gates for the Chinese now wuhan reported 6 new cases 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

India is screwed worse the Europe and N. America.

I doubt you've seen any since mid-March.

Screwed in terms of what? They seem to have infinitely lesser number of corona related deaths compared to Europe & N. America.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Let's assume no tourists after March 2020 ..... that's 75% loss.

Probably no tourists in 2021 at all ........ 100% loss.

Wow, that will be great! As long as they allow internal travel and ban all incoming tourists!!

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

India is screwed worse the Europe and N. America.

I doubt you've seen any since mid-March.

India is 100X worse than anywhere else in the world.  When people get sick they just die at home.  Not just a few, basically all.  More bodies are piling up in front of the hospitals and they all know why - they leave them there in the night so they don't have to bury them.  

Testing for COVID in India?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  Yeah, if you're the .01 percent of the rich.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

In your dream so dream good and let see if your dreams come true?

I don't think it's the worst, but it's certainly not the greatest.  It has a ton of good food, easy access, and it's changed.  It will reboot.  The question is when.  

2 years would be a good place to start.  No normal country will let tourists to come back to their countries with COVID, particularly with asymptomatic symptoms.  Believing anything else is just gobbeleygook.  Thai bunk from the news agency keeping hope alive so people don't freak out at the real truth.  

Everyone knows what is coming.  Basically zero tourism.  Believe me now or believe me later, this fall in the busy season it will be like right now.  No chinese, nobody.  

• Like 2

Inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed.

Troll posts trolling about hookers have been removed. 

Posts containing derogatory trolling comments toward other nationalities have been removed as per this forum rule:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

This is a good thing in my opinion Thailand has been treating foreigners really badly for a while now. we have been forced to put up with increasing xenophobia in recent years along with an increase in crazy immigration rules that have made many feel unwelcome and quite frankly making Thailand not as attractive as it used to be as a hassle free tourist destination.

Lets hope that when less of tourists show up this year they will be humbled a bit and realise that they will need to be more fair in order to win the tourists back I'm hoping that in their absence they will begin to see the benefits that foreigners bring more clearly.
————————————————————————————————————————————————-

I hope that no tourist come to this country for next five to ten years. It will take that longer for them realize what goes around comes around. 

I hope that the poor people stop working and demand higher salaries from these owners because without them, they cannot function. 

let’s see where their faith and luck get them

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

This is a good thing in my opinion Thailand has been treating foreigners really badly for a while now. we have been forced to put up with increasing xenophobia in recent years along with an increase in crazy immigration rules that have made many feel unwelcome and quite frankly making Thailand not as attractive as it used to be as a hassle free tourist destination.

Lets hope that when less of tourists show up this year they will be humbled a bit and realise that they will need to be more fair in order to win the tourists back I'm hoping that in their absence they will begin to see the benefits that foreigners bring more clearly.
————————————————————————————————————————————————-

I hope that no tourist come to this country for next five to ten years. It will take that longer for them realize what goes around comes around. 

I hope that the poor people stop working and demand higher salaries from these owners because without them, they cannot function. 

let’s see where their faith and luck get them

Appreciate your comments , the poor people are afraid of uniforms , the Police and Army rule.

Nothing will change in Thailand , the opposition,  aka red shirts are gone ,  blame it on the virus ..

As for us expats ....

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

TAT ,   welcomes Chinese visitors to the Kingdom ..

Best advice , stay away from dirty farlangs .

Edited by elliss
  • Sad 1

On 5/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, misterjames said:

This is a good thing in my opinion Thailand has been treating foreigners really badly for a while now. we have been forced to put up with increasing xenophobia in recent years along with an increase in crazy immigration rules that have made many feel unwelcome and quite frankly making Thailand not as attractive as it used to be as a hassle free tourist destination.

no chance

• Thanks 2

On 5/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, misterjames said:

This is a good thing in my opinion Thailand has been treating foreigners really badly for a while now. we have been forced to put up with increasing xenophobia in recent years along with an increase in crazy immigration rules that have made many feel unwelcome and quite frankly making Thailand not as attractive as it used to be as a hassle free tourist destination.

misterjames, I would love to think thing will change in our favour but in view of the complacent way people have been left to rot with no financial support or food vouchers etc in the lockdown I don't see it somehow.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, Tounge Thaied said:

I suspect the thai "authorities" have figured out that people are not dying in the massive numbers that was touted by the media and was attempted to be predicted by computer models. The "experts" got it all wrong. And, I suspect that Thai doctors were not "incentivized" financially or pressured/advised to diagnosis Covid19 based upon signs/symptoms alone. Countries like Italy and America are diagnosing Covid19 erroneously, based on symptoms alone. I'll let you come to your own conclusion why that is. I see that Thailand has handled this whole "pandemic" very well. They did not over react in the beginning, made reasonable lock down rules, based upon the fear models by the WHO and are now realizing this is not the emergency we were all led to believe it is or was going to be. IMO, other countries have high numbers because they are creating those numbers. We now know that Covid19 is not as deadly as even the Flu. And I see it as a good thing that everyone doesn't get tested. Those tests do no test for the specific SARSCoV2 virus. There are too many false positives and negatives on that test. The test is nearly completely unreliable. Just read the fine print in the image... way too many caveats for this test to provide any fundamental basis of diagnostic efficacy. 

Covid19 Test Results.jpg

Exactly
this image is from the CDC testing protocol
If its positive, it does not rule out being something else (as test is not specific)
if it is negative, symptoms can be used to diagnose as positive (ignoring the test)
it is also just a coincidence that the man who created the RT-PCR test (forget his name off top of my head)
stated the RT-PCR test is not to be used for such in respiratory diseases as it is not specific, died last year.
so the one person who could say without any doubt or argument from others
that the test being used is not suitable, is sadly no longer with us.

rt-pcr.test.png

If anyone wants to see how things will likely be in 2 years

Watch Soylent Green
(simply look at the world it is based in)
Filmed in 1973 set in 2022
the longer these lockdowns persist
the more possible Soylent Green appears

Remember,
recessions do not effect the wealthy,
they just emphasize who the wealthy are.

18 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

My wife has a cousin who is HEAD of Nursing in a major hospital here in Chiang Mai, and told my wife that staff were ORDERED, under penalty of being fired, to put down ANYTHING except Covid as cause of death.  That's why I never believe the governments "death figures"

I'm actually very comforted by this fact if it is true. Sounds like a face saving way to continue.  Everyone has to get this disease so we can achieve herd immunity. We need it to spread to everyone of working age, who are at minimal risk of death. This gives me hope it is still moving throughout the population, and that the "second wave" will be contained as far as official figures are concerned.

In practice, as long as the excess deaths and those with "pneumonia" don't overwhelm the available health services, then we will have found an optimal solution.  Removing the lockdowns should spread the disease as quickly as possible to as many as possible. Just need to guarantee that everyone who needs a hospital has access to one. This is what "flatten the curve" was supposed to mean. Not zero infections. This is a way to make one equal the other while avoiding the drama.

Personally, I question whether this is genuinely an officially "unofficial" government policy because I have not heard similar statements from others in similar positions.  But if it is true, it is a good way forward as long as the fiction can be maintained.