De-humidifier

monsieurhappy

My friend is looking for a de-humidifier for use in his house. He has a big problem with food stuffs such as salt, sugar, gravy powder etc. attracting moisture after just a short time.

He as asked in Home Pro but no-one there seemed to know what he was talking about even though his TG did the asking.

So as anyone come across a de-humidifier in Thailand and if so where?

Many Thanks.

Have never seen them for sale here myself and from using over the years found them a pain to keep clean and empty - if they drain into a bucket it quickly becomes a mold haven. Here most people have air-conditioner that removes the excess moisture and store condiments in frost free refrigerators which keeps them dry. Adding rice to the salt is also normal. The use of plastic containers with moisture seals is also a method to reduce the problem.

For such a unit to work the room has to be closed and that would almost always require air conditioner use here in Thailand. And the air conditioner performs the function so there is no need for another unit. Just too hot to close rooms here if you are not using air conditioning. And the few weeks that you might be able to do so the relative humidity is low enough to not require dehumidification.

I have a dehumidifier which I brought with me from Hong Kong where they were de rigeur because of the high humidity. I have never used it here. Let me check it out and see if it's still in working order, and I might be willing to sell.

I was looking for one a few months ago and found them available at Power Buy in Central Lad Pra shopping mall.

It was a small unit and didn't look well made. They wanted 20,000 Baht for it! I've seen similar sized units for sales in the US of $80.

I didn't buy it.

I normally run my aircon in dehumidifier mode. This can be done with most aircons, select the drop symbol on the remote in stead of the snow flake symbol.

Running in this mode the humidity drops 10% - 20% and it's really comfortable, the temp only drops 1-2 degrees, but it feels like it dropped 10.

Another bonus is that the power consumption is much lower than when running in air con mode. The water taken from the air is drained out the same way the condensation water is drained so there is no extra problems with this.

I have seen some dedicated dehumidifier models in Emporium, Sukh. Not sure about price.