Summer holidays abroad unlikely, Britain's health minister says

snoop1130

Summer holidays abroad unlikely, Britain's health minister says

bvf.PNG

A view general of Oia, following the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, on the island of Santorini, Greece, May 8, 2020. Picture taken with a drone. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis

LONDON (Reuters) - British people are unlikely to be able to go on international holidays this summer because of the coronavirus pandemic, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Tuesday.

Asked on ITV’s This Morning show if people should accept that the normal summer holiday season for travelling abroad was cancelled, he replied: “I think that’s likely to be the case.”

While the government is slowly trying to open up different segments of the economy, some form of social distancing will be required for some time.

“The conclusion from that is it is unlikely that big, lavish international holidays are going to possible for this summer,” he said.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday the government planned to introduce a 14-day quarantine for international travellers to prevent a second spike in the virus, infuriating airlines which planned to resume flying in the coming months.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-12

21 minutes ago, madmen said:

So they locking borders for Brits but tourists still allowed in? Makes zero sense

where does it say borders will be locked? it's the health secretary's opinion and actually makes some sense; get brits to holiday incountry and have foreign tourists coming, good for the economy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Can the UK lawfully ban people, due to COVID-19,  from boarding an aircraft from the UK to specific country

that would otherwise except them? What if they board from a third country?

I don't think so, it's just hot air, no sustance to what he is saying.

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Unless they are not letting people out, which is highly unlikely, then anyone can go anywhere they want if certain countries let them in. Stupid statement from a Mr Matt Dimcock.

Majority of worldwide Airlines are grounded. Do try to keep up, you're embarrassing yourself

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

There are flights every day and he said "summer" holidays, it's spring in Europe. Ryanair are starting up, BA from 1st July. I think you are embarrassing yourself by not checking the facts.

BA aren't sure about restarting from July 1st, travel insurance will be a problem for some people, Spain has just 14-day quarantine

and a 14 day  quarantine when you return to the UK. I think most people wouldn't bother

Its simple if there are no passengers and no where to fly to then ryanair wouldn't be flying

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/11595383/british-airways-july-flights-airport-quarantine/

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I don't think so, it's just hot air, no sustance to what he is saying.

To be fair I don't think he said anything other than that which is obvious.  I dont think there was any suggestion of banning people from travel.  It's more a case of ITV provoking a headline by asking stupid questions.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Spain has just 14-day quarantine

"The quarantine requirements for travelers coming into Spain go into effect this coming Friday, May 15, and will remain in force throughout the duration of the state of alarm, which is due to end on May 24 but may be extended by the government if other parties support such a move in the lower house of parliament, the Congress of Deputies. If the emergency situation is extended for another two weeks, the travel restrictions will, in principle, continue to apply.

Health Minister Salvador Illa added on Tuesday that the quarantine will “very likely [extend] throughout the entire deescalation period,” which is scheduled to end in June if there are no new spikes in coronavirus transmission. "

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-05-12/spain-to-introduce-14-day-quarantine-for-international-travelers.html

• Like 1

As it stands currently 

the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

While that FCO warning is in place Most Travel insurance policies will not cover you

so anyone leaving the UK at the moment either doesn't have travel insurance or they have contacted their insurance company and their insurance company has given them the green light to travel

Hancock said it was unlikely British people would go on international holidays this summer not that they can't

• Like 2

Well 25% of the workforce on furlough are unlikely to have holidays to take as the government and employers encourage using accrued paid holiday to keep furlough payments at a higher level, and ensure availability when business is in recovery mode.

Then we have companies requesting non furloughed workers also try and use some holiday/take occasional days if there is downtime.

Add to that the current control elements at destination, if holidaymakers fly out of country

Cost of flights if seating reduces capacity by 30%

Current 14 day self isolation/quarantine on return that your employer would have to agree

The guy might just have a point - and yes things can change rapidly, but that also cuts both ways

Fact is to have all restrictions lifted for a standard 2 - 3 week August holiday covid would have to virtually disappear by mid July - are you feeling lucky?

Edited by 473geo

9 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Fact is to have all restrictions lifted for a standard 2 - 3 week August holiday covid would have to virtually disappear by mid July - are you feeling lucky?

Covid quarantine restrictions, not covid itself.

I'd say flying will happen either 15 June or 1 July without quarantine restrictions, but likely other technicalities.

That said, I will be booking last minute when the time comes.

PS: I am not including Thailand in this discussion, they seem to plan corridors between China and the islands, and other fantastic ideas.

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, lkv said:

I'd say flying will happen either 15 June or 1 July without quarantine restrictions, but likely other technicalities.

Why would quarantine/self isolation be lifted if covid was still resurfacing and re-infecting, look how many countries currently with few casualties and low infection rates still operate virtually closed borders with 14 day quarantine/self isolation, if the UK drops to only a few sporadic outbreaks then I suggest destination and returning restrictions will still stay in place for overseas travelers

18 minutes ago, lkv said:

PS: I am not including Thailand in this discussion, they seem to plan corridors between China and the islands, and other fantastic ideas.

I always book my flights under 1 week from departure, sometimes 2 or 3 days before. I think July is a good point for exemptions to be lifted for entry into countries.

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

As it stands currently 

the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

While that FCO warning is in place Most Travel insurance policies will not cover you

so anyone leaving the UK at the moment either doesn't have travel insurance or they have contacted their insurance company and their insurance company has given them the green light to travel

Hancock said it was unlikely British people would go on international holidays this summer not that they can't

Are you sure about that ? I thought that was a blanket warning.

If you go on the Thailand’s specific FCO page there is advice against travelling other than certain southern regions .

We've a strange situation at work and sure it's replicated across the UK for those that work from home at present.  No one is taking holidays in our company at the moment for obvious reasons so the second half of the year is every employee trying to fit their annual holiday entitlement into a six month window. Recipe for disaster.  

Also a high proportion of employees have foreign holidays booked but are yet to understand if they'll be able to travel during the UK summer months.  Add to that, a lot of them now don't want to take their foreign holiday due to potential pitfalls, including contracting C19.  

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HerbyJFlash said:

Are you sure about that ? I thought that was a blanket warning.

If you go on the Thailand’s specific FCO page there is advice against travelling other than certain southern regions .

Yes its standard policy for Travel insurance companies

How does an FCO warning affect my travel insurance?

It is important to be aware that if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office warns against all travel or all but essential travel to your holiday destination before you get there, you will not covered by your travel insurance, which means that any claims you make will not be paid, if you choose to travel against their advice.

This is because travel insurance is designed to provide protection against unexpected and unforeseen risks and travelling to a country or area that the FCO has advised against going to because it is dangerous, is a very different risk from taking a holiday in a country that is considered to be generally safe.

https://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/travel-advice/fco-travel-warnings

Its best to check with your travel insurance company if you can justify that your travel is essential travel they may cover you although I suspect the insurance will be more than normal

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

where does it say borders will be locked? it's the health secretary's opinion and actually makes some sense; get brits to holiday incountry and have foreign tourists coming, good for the economy.

to stimulate this sound economic initiative they could tax retirees abroad

to promote retirement in england, for a unified effort to strengthen

brittish economy in these rough times

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

Why would quarantine/self isolation be lifted if covid was still resurfacing and re-infecting,

Because it's moronic to quarantine healthy people for 14 days.

Therefore, other solutions are in works.

Even rapid tests which may not be 100% reliable, will be good enough, at the end of the day you don't want to stop 100% of it, you just want to keep the curve under control.

Even PCR within the last 4 days is not failproof, but it brings the risk to a minimal acceptable level.

At least that will be our European way of thinking, applicable in Schengen, most likely.

Others will follow suit, but yes, some countries will have more or less common sense than others, so expect variations.

Edited by lkv
  • Confused 1

Yet another guy underestimating the power of the poon.

Unless the UK imports thousands of hookers and gigolos (and cuter ones at that), the guys and gals will be hopping planes, trains and slow boats to get out this summer.  

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Foreign tourists will have a 14 day quarantine imposed on them from 1st June, so I doubt many will be coming.

They are trying to get quarantine exemption for all travellers from France and Ireland. Ireland is in the Common Travel Area so not too much problem but if travellers from France are exempt (with reciprocal agreements), the South of France could still be on for holidays. The European Commission may scupper the plan if the virus doesn't...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/12/european-commission-plunges-plans-french-exemption-uks-14-day/