Early end to U.S. state lockdowns could cause needless 'suffering and death' - Fauci

webfact

1 hour ago, jimmybcool said:

Curious what part of the US you are in.  I am in Arizona and my direct experience is:

Restaurants are closed

Distancing is practiced everywhere

No one shakes hands now

So where are you located?  I'd like to avoid that particular area for a while longer.  

In my state, we have many counties with zero or very few deaths and/or infections. I'm not sure why people think everyone needs to cave in to demands that everyone wear a mask. Seems very strange to me.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Throatwobbler said:

Oh guys please play nice on Crazy Alex. You do understand that you are asking him to read a long government document. Personally I think the hungry hungry caterpillar is above his grade level for reading.

I hardly think seven Power Point slides constitute a "long government document". I think you are getting a little carried away with hating on me. While I'm flattered, I suggest a change in direction. May I suggest we try and focus on the topic?

Here, I'll take the first step. Given how many wrong and different "models" Dr. Fauci has presented, please tell me why we should take more doom and gloom predictions from him seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, dieter1 said:

what is most disturbing and frightening for me:

In the US (and in many other  countries similair) there is no real and effective open controversy / dispute possible (any more). Its just: if its come from the President it is evel and the left wing /Democratics must oppose it.

Thats the most frightening aspect about this affair (Corono Pandemic).

And before you start argue about "saving lives must be priority ..". The shut down of the country, does effect a lot of other health related issues. It means, the help for people with  other diseases (and these are way more then the so called "Corona cases") are very limited now in consequence of the reactions of the governements. There will be (or are allready)

a lot of deaths and suffering because of these lockdowns and redirecting  resources for Corona.

These "sideeffects" are allready huge, but - for whatever reasons- most governemts and  most of the medias are nearly blocking out these aspects.

just for a start of understanding these sideeffects:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/may/06/millions-develop-tuberculosis-tb-covid-19-lockdown

and yes, as you could expect it: the most  vulnerable  are the poor people (or if you like it more: the "underprivileged").

These people have less resources in every aspects: less money, worse health, worse ability to get good medical care etc.. Meaning they are most effected by a  virus but also (!) most effected by the side effect of the restriction imposed by the governements. And it is to expect, that these sideffects will also lead to many losses of lives in these groups.

The extreme economical  recession as the effect of the reactions of the governements in this Corona-crises (not the  effect of the virus!) are effecting mostly the poorest part of the world population. I think, no one will actually doupt that.

You can see that (if you alollow your self it to be seen) every where: These people are the first loosing their jobs. These people have no resourses left, when they loose their daily wages.Many of these people (millions ..) are allready (in consequence of the economical lock down) not able to buy their daily food they need etc. , not able to get (pay for) medical aid when needed, pay for their shelter etc.

From your second paragraph of your post I have no dispute with your comment, already well known and yes very sad.

But i do challenge your first paragraph: 

- IMHO there are many valid reasons why plenty of folks see the clown as evil.

- The democrats must oppose it - well that how it is in the politics of the US (and other countries) and it works both ways and the clown himself has issued hundreds of tweets before he became the president, many aimed at Obama, and no matter what Obama did or said, and the clowns claims Obama wasn't born in the USA both before and after it was well proved he was. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

I hardly think seven Power Point slides constitute a "long government document". I think you are getting a little carried away with hating on me. While I'm flattered, I suggest a change in direction. May I suggest we try and focus on the topic?

Here, I'll take the first step. Given how many wrong and different "models" Dr. Fauci has presented, please tell me why we should take more doom and gloom predictions from him seriously.

Oh really, please share...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

In my state, we have many counties with zero or very few deaths and/or infections. I'm not sure why people think everyone needs to cave in to demands that everyone wear a mask. Seems very strange to me.

Masks are still not something everyone wears everywhere.  In the grocery store about half of the customers wear one.  I have been researching a new car I need and visited many dealerships and it is rare a salesman wears a mask.  Like not at all so far.  But cashiers in the grocers are behind plexiglass and wear gloves.  

Maricopa county has 6500 cases of Covid-19 as of today.  Population is about 4.5 million.  

I think we need to carefully begin to open our country.  Yeah, we will have more sick but the damage done to our country via it's economy can also be measured in human lives and futures.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

Masks are still not something everyone wears everywhere.  In the grocery store about half of the customers wear one.  I have been researching a new car I need and visited many dealerships and it is rare a salesman wears a mask.  Like not at all so far.  But cashiers in the grocers are behind plexiglass and wear gloves.  

Maricopa county has 6500 cases of Covid-19 as of today.  Population is about 4.5 million.  

I think we need to carefully begin to open our country.  Yeah, we will have more sick but the damage done to our country via it's economy can also be measured in human lives and futures.  

Your last paragraph is what it's all about IMHO. Ultimately, someone has to do a cost/benefit analysis of keeping the economy closed. We save X lives. But at what expense? The US is supposed to be a free country. Open things up. That doesn't mean people HAVE to go out. If people are scared, they can stay home. Their choice.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

"...How about people live the way they want?..."

Sure, but what about in a time of great problems we act as a co-joined community and respect each other and all try to reduce/stop this very contagious virus. Is that not simple and effective logic? Yes it is.

Is it really so difficult? No it's not.

Why do you have to make it all so complex? We all need to work together using simple preventative measures to protect each other, it's that simple. 

Because it is the land of the free. I do what I want and don't care about the consequences for anybody else.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

"...How about people live the way they want?..."

Sure, but what about in a time of great problems we act as a co-joined community and respect each other and all try to reduce/stop this very contagious virus. Is that not simple and effective logic? Yes it is.

Is it really so difficult? No it's not.

Why do you have to make it all so complex? We all need to work together using simple preventative measures to protect each other, it's that simple. 

Solid points for making me feel warm and fuzzy. The reality is different parts of the country and even different parts of states have different needs for slowing or stopping virus cases and deaths.

7 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Solid points for making me feel warm and fuzzy. The reality is different parts of the country and even different parts of states have different needs for slowing or stopping virus cases and deaths.

So what would you like Dr. Fauci to do/say?

Surely his comments are generic and vast numbers of Americans, regardless of location, would accept his comments as generic?

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Because it is the land of the free. I do what I want and don't care about the consequences for anybody else.

Sure, point taken and I thank my lucky stars that I was born and raised in a county where there's a strong attitude and concern to take care of and support each other. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, point taken and I thank my lucky stars that I was born and raised in a county where there's a strong attitude and concern to take care of and support each other. 

Always remembering Georges Clemenceau's classic quote.."America is the only country that I know of that went from barbarism to decadence without any intervening stages.."

Hence it's very high level of Christian evangelical primitivism, its worship of the holy dollar and it's extremely dualistic interpretation of the world around it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Im from the US whats the point of your comment?

If you had taken the time to look just one or two comments up the page, you would see that I was leveling criticism at the US over Covid. Since you could not be bothered to look it up, here it is: For the world at large, looking at America right now, they appear to be the most pitiful and utterly hapless and incompetent nation on earth. Make America great again? How about make America moderately competent?

The poster was asking where I was from, that I could compare my nation to the response of the US, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you had taken the time to look just one or two comments up the page, you would see that I was leveling criticism at the US over Covid. Since you could not be bothered to look it up, here it is: For the world at large, looking at America right now, they appear to be the most pitiful and utterly hapless and incompetent nation on earth. Make America great again? How about make America moderately competent?

The poster was asking where I was from, that I could compare my nation to the response of the US, I suppose.

And the poster asking the question is the same poster who said 'what's the point of your comment'.

16 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

That is a very low bar you set up for Trump when the infections and deaths in US are highest by a wide margin with the rest of the world. Even the testing is way off some of the developed countries averages. 

Where are you getting your figures from these numbers. You realize their counting overdose deaths, auto accidents, suicides, gun shot deaths things completely unrelated so the liberals can maintain the narrative! Most people are awoke in each country, yes even Thailand!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Where are you getting your figures from these numbers. You realize their counting overdose deaths, auto accidents, suicides, gun shot deaths things completely unrelated so the liberals can maintain the narrative! Most people are awoke in each country, yes even Thailand!

Most experts said the numbers are far higher and you ain't an expert. Higher by as much as 15% and we will have a better picture once the pandemic subside enough for officials to go back and make a full reckoning of the deaths. Under-count deaths in this particular pandemic is happening all over the world. Take for instance, CDC analysis of the H1N1 swine flu outbreak in the US in the 2009 & 2010 concluded that the actual deaths was likely 15 times higher than officially recorded figures. When the real data is revealed, it will magnify the incompetence of Trump to protect his own people. 

4 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Your last paragraph is what it's all about IMHO. Ultimately, someone has to do a cost/benefit analysis of keeping the economy closed. We save X lives. But at what expense? The US is supposed to be a free country. Open things up. That doesn't mean people HAVE to go out. If people are scared, they can stay home. Their choice.

And if you go out and about without restrictions and you catch the virus and get very sick then I wonder f you will start saying 'why didn't they do something to massively reduce the spread of the virus'?

Plus if you go out and get the virus, then I guess, given your attitude, you'll keep moving around as you please / no restrictions and your thinking in terms of others will be 'their problem, not mine'.  

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, Slosheroni said:

The amount of stupid in the US is astonishing.  Nobody keeps their distance. Nobody wears a mask.  People still shake hands. And yet the amount of armchair epidemiologists is through the roof.  These are the same Einsteins who went to a packed restaurant on Mother's Day just to show how tough they are.  Then, they complain about restrictions????   If anyone had common sense they'd be able to open and keep the virus from surging again.  Maybe this is all evolution. 

None of what you claim is happening in the U.S. is occuring where I live.  Everyone wears a mask around other people and in buisnesses, people are keeping distances, and the people I don't know and even many of those I do, will not let you get close enough to shake hands!

Are you talking about NYC where cuomo was telling people at the beginning, to go out, live normaly, and go to the restaurants?

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

haven't seen any twitter yet but still early, let's wait a bit and quite sure he will start the rant

as expected the twitter rants started as soon as he woke up 555 .... the guy (Trump) must have a miserable life, never saw him smile or make a joke about anything, it must be a pleasure being on his presence

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You forgot the most critical function of all - the ability to fact check every false bit of information that is posted on the internet. Good luck with that too.

And start your fact checking work at the top, at #45

17 hours ago, rabas said:

This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia — hysterical xenophobia — and fearmongering,” said Biden the day after the travel restrictions were imposed.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/trump-biden-spin-china-travel-restrictions/

China called him racist but it was carried by the MSM, of course!

Biden does not mention the CHINA travel ban.

• Like 1

so i updated my vpn this morning, and fired that puppy up to jump the great firewall, started the daily routine with visiting the bbc....

pathetic.  just pathetic.  only a 48-second video included, so will need to find the full briefing to see if it wasn't taken out of context.  but this.  the man has lost his mind.  no longer tethered to reality.

US President Donald Trump has said a sobering warning by his top infectious diseases expert about lifting pandemic restrictions too soon was unacceptable.

He accused Dr Anthony Fauci of wanting "to play all sides of the equation" in his testimony to lawmakers on Tuesday.

The president said he was especially dissatisfied with Dr Fauci's caution around reopening schools too quickly.

Coronavirus: Trump says Dr Fauci's warning 'not acceptable'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52656959

• Like 1