TAT targeting tech savvy young tourists as New Normal means less visitors and more domestic tourism

webfact

3 minutes ago, NightSky said:

So they want the people back who they repelled over the past 6 years.

Som nom naa haaa haaa haaa

they forgot the old saying "" never bite (kick out) the hand that feeds you""

• Like 1

I don't know where these tourists are to come from, certainly not from falangland, USA will have 25% unemployed, the UK the worst downturn in 300 years, the Euro area say the one trillion Euros ear marked for the recovery wont be enough, Germany is already wondering where their missing 120 billion Euros for the coming budget is to come from probably like the UK from higher taxation. TAT listen, we aint got the cash to travel, love your expats instead.

• Like 1

If you want tech-savvy tourists, maybe change your archaic laws so people who work online don't have the threat of imprisonment looming if they decide to visit Thailand and have to do some work? Especially post-COVID since many jobs are becoming remote positions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Many have dream! TAT have most unthinkable one!

images.png.56f600a011c3b3a3fcaba9d4904806e3.png

Is it me or do Thais go out in the press with stuff like this but it's never definitive action just things they are looking at or want to do but nothing actually ever gets done?

Where does this data come from?

Working thais have come home from oversead, so lost income at the village level.

Millions of thais out of work, so household income .

But still, 100,000,000 thais will be taking holidays, touring around Thailand??

I can't follow the logic trail ... ?

I just want to get back to my home in Thailand.  Stranded outside the country and going insane.  Costing me a fortune.  How about updates for a plan for those on retirement, spouse and other resident type visas who are stranded overseas.  Repatriation of Thai citizens first.  Yes I agree.  Then please allowing foreigners on relevant visas with residency in Thailand next (rental lease proof, Chanote, utility bills etc), COVID19 clearance and home quarantine for 14 days.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why has this country become so uptight? it was never like that before. people loved to come to Thailand because it felt relaxed, happy and fun. And of course inexpensive 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

True, but I am very concerned about the future of the hostel until a COVID-19 vaccine is found. Sharing a dorm room with several other travellers makes social distancing all but impossible and only the really flashy places will be able to afford to provide facilities that cater for this. Guesthouse rooms are of course more expensive.

20 years ago guest houses were cheap so dorms were not needed. Now that competition for land has closed most of them, and the strong Baht, backpackers have been forced into dorms. Getting back an attractive and viable backpacker industry would take a lot of effort and support from the government such as designating suitable areas for backpackers where large businesses would be excluded from. This kind of long term thinking with few oppertunities to skim off profits, means that the current government is unlikly to consider it. Backpackers, who are normally young, would be less likely to worry about Covid 19 especially as it will take months before they start arriving in numbers again anyway.

The flashy places will be able to provide distancing because they won't have many rooms filled. This started before Covid 19 and nothing has changed to reverse that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

And they are going to lift the ban on inter province travel when ?

If foreign tourists check the amount of testing done in this country (only 4,098 per million) they may very well have second thoughts about coming here .

I doubt that. Thailand has emerged as being on the safest nations on earth. 3000 cases total. Hardly gets any better than that. You don't need testing when you don't have sick people. This is not a disease that remains dormant for weeks. It is gone. DOA. 

In regard to the domestic tourism market, what they do not seem to be taking into account, is the financial devastation this experiment of shutting down the economy has had on the majority of Thais. It will be a long time before all but the top 5% have disposable cash here. Kiss off 2020. Maybe next year. A few million domestic trips this year at most. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

That's fewer, not less visitors...

The usual TAT optimism with "80 million and 100 million trips" - in a country with around 60 mio. peeps. Yes, right. Dream on.

Perhaps BigC has been redesignated as a tourist destination....

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Another scintillating idea from the TAT. I am guessing someone in the upper echelons there Googled 'Generation Y' and thought this should be our new target. 

Yes the new 'Snowflake' 'Pussy' generation. That will be interesting!!555.

Notwithstanding the fact they are social media savvy so they see,  read and understand the scams and fallang pricing levels that goes on here.

'TAT prat, you never thought of that! Think before you blink and and you wont look such a tw.t'!!

Blimey! I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!! ????????????????????????????????

Edited by DPKANKAN
Spelling

17 minutes ago, aussienam said:

I just want to get back to my home in Thailand.  Stranded outside the country and going insane.  Costing me a fortune.  How about updates for a plan for those on retirement, spouse and other resident type visas who are stranded overseas.  Repatriation of Thai citizens first.  Yes I agree.  Then please allowing foreigners on relevant visas with residency in Thailand next (rental lease proof, Chanote, utility bills etc), COVID19 clearance and home quarantine for 14 days.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I feel sorry for people locked out of the country who have wives, families etc. However, the writing was on the wall well before the borders closed. Many saw it coming and acted appropriately (those with the appropriate visas) maintaining their stay in LOS. Granted some on business trips etc. were maybe unable to act quickly enough. All they can do is sit it out and hope things get better sooner rather than later  

58 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Why are "Tourist Police" needed at all .

Due to the high number of tourists that can't speak Thai concentrated in certain areas. Put yourself in a first time tourists shoes who needs help - would you want to talk with someone who speaks English and is used to dealing with tourists problems or the RTP?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I doubt that. Thailand has emerged as being on the safest nations on earth. 3000 cases total. Hardly gets any better than that. You don't need testing when you don't have sick people. This is not a disease that remains dormant for weeks. It is gone. DOA. 

In regard to the domestic tourism market, what they do not seem to be taking into account, is the financial devastation this experiment of shutting down the economy has had on the majority of Thais. It will be a long time before all but the top 5% have disposable cash here. Kiss off 2020. Maybe next year. A few million domestic trips this year at most. 

You are right the virus will not hang about for that long, they say up to 2 weeks incubation.

The only point to consider is that many people don't need hospital treatment or any healthcare intervention and during the time when they have very mild or no main symptoms they are spreading the infection and it will eventually get someone who doesn't have mild symptoms. So many people will be walking about untested because if you are only testing the sick (which s for sure what Thailand are doing) then you never have a real handle on the situation, you are pretty blind. Saying all that I thing Thailand, with it's hot tropical climate probably does not have the issues other countries have. stay safe..????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

That's fewer, not less visitors...

The usual TAT optimism with "80 million and 100 million trips" - in a country with around 60 mio. peeps. Yes, right. Dream on.

Yes, as soon as I read Tourist Authority of Thailand, I expected some nonsensical figures! - they are back!   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

And they are going to lift the ban on inter province travel when ?

If foreign tourists check the amount of testing done in this country (only 4,098 per million) they may very well have second thoughts about coming here .

Between which provinces in the North for example ?