Minister Tewan eyes providing temples, monks COVID-19 financial support

webfact

Minister Tewan eyes providing temples, monks COVID-19 financial support

9c8647b3e9226a8aee6eca12fa7b3c03_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office, Tewan Liptapallop, has ordered the National Office of Buddhism to survey issues faced by temples across the country as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, in order to allocate relief budget accordingly.

As a Minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office, Tewan Liptapallop said today the National Office of Buddhism is gathering input from some 300,000 Buddhist monks and 40,000 temples, on disruptions and afflictions resulting from from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Initial surveys show most of the temples are self-sustainable, however some temples are in need of financial support to pay for utility bills, as fewer people are donating cash and giving alms.

In southern border provinces, Buddhist monks are now receiving 100 baht per person daily compensation, as the provinces are considered at-risk areas.

The Minister said a concrete assistance plan for other provinces will be determined after the completion of a survey, adding that there is currently no serious talk about the measures, and any conclusion will need Cabinet’s approval.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG200514173522577

nnt.jpg

So Buddhism is a buisness then like i have been saying all along? Guess thats why they are in government also and flying in private jets and such...

Heres a better idea, sell all the land the temples reside on and make housing for the actual needy instead of the im sorry to say mostly drunk, drug addict lazy know it all know nothing monks..

I live between 2 temples and one of them is involved in illegal logging, illegal charcoal manufacture, drugs are everywhere and they are all so drunk they poop in the middle of the dam road. They drive past my house in the middle of the night as a sign of intimidation to keep our mouths shut, had death threats, they carry guns and such. Yep, thats buddhism folks! 

My wifes made complaints but nothings done like its evil to question a monks motives. Very sad....

• Like 1

Must have been a slip up that he forgot to mention the gov would do the same for mosques, synagogues, and churches....

Give the money to the poor so they can "make merit" by giving to temples. Why deprive them of that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Give the money that is given to the temples to the people so that they can eat. That's the true act of charity. 

I agree... I was being a bit facetious in my post. Give money to people and they can decide how much to give to temple, mosque, church, Scientology scam center.... if any.

• Like 1

The Hierarchy of Thailand's Buddhist system is wealthy beyond imagination. Many of the lay monks are quite poor (those that actually follow the Buddha's teachings), but we have all seen the pictures of the jet set lifestyle of many of the corrupt leaders. Just like the flying evangelists in the USA. 

Give the money to the poor Thais and let them make their own contributions to the Wat if they wish to.

image.jpeg.6e946efee5ceaceaff50759c05caee2a.jpegIt's not a UFO but Wat Phra Dammakaya, Klong Luang, Pathum Thani. 

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves." 

500 years after Buddha and I am sure Buddha never realized what his followers would do 2000 years later.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 2

yep, the poor old parasite monks have been unable to extort their usual bounty off the poor people, so they need help. Most of them seem to be crooks, told to be monks by the Justice system, or go to jail, so they know how to play the odds.  It's pathetic. 

• Like 2