Thailand Billionaire Keen to Restart Tourism

webfact

1 hour ago, whitfield said:

I don't think it's hitting his pockets.  Makro and 7/11 the only stores never to close!!

Makro was running its normal hours but a lot of non food and alcohol was shut off and the 7/11s were closed during curfew hours.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Thailand is already well-known for its hospitality, warmth, and friendliness

That is true to a certain extent, however in this day and age Thailand is also known for corruption, scams, pollution, xenophobia, dual pricing, high prices for sub - standard services, shocking health and safety standards, bizarre government rules that change at any time etc.

His aims are good, but something like this is just not going to happen. 

True but you left out a lot! 

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Pre virus I was reliably informed by a Thai who had returned from studying in UK that the service from the UK doctor was very poor. When I asked why? I was told she had gone to the doctor with very bad flu ( remember pre virus ) and the doctor had suggested I just stay home, rest, drink lots of fluids etc. He refused to give me any antibiotics or tablets to cure me. Very poor service.

They are so naive, handing out antibiotics like its candy, no wonder there are so many strains of antibiotic resistant infections. They really don't get the difference between a viral and bacterial infection. My Thai wife thinks doctors in the UK are bad because she can't get to see one immediately and this is even after I explained that it's done on priority, those who are seriously ill get seen immediately, those with minor issues have to wait. I gave up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RandomActofKindness said:

Well with today’s announcement that Phuket’s airport has been closed indefinitely and the island relying heavily in tourism... I’d like to know how this is going to work?

3 hours ago, RandomActofKindness said:

Well with today’s announcement that Phuket’s airport has been closed indefinitely and the island relying heavily in tourism... I’d like to know how this is going to work?

Really? I thought it was back open today?

12 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Thailand is already well-known for its hospitality, warmth, and friendliness

That is true to a certain extent, however in this day and age Thailand is also known for corruption, scams, pollution, xenophobia, dual pricing, high prices for sub - standard services, shocking health and safety standards, bizarre government rules that change at any time etc.

His aims are good, but something like this is just not going to happen. 

Then jump on the first flight you can get!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedoc said:

The Thai/Chinese billionaire who’s company gets 40% of its profits from China and who’s father was Chinese.

From wikipedia:

Dhanin Chearavanont's father, Chia Ek Chor, and uncle, Chia Seow Hui, left China for Bangkok in the 1920s to begin selling seeds and agricultural chemicals. Their business diversified geographically across Asia, and vertically via a number of technology ventures and contract farming initiatives. In the 1980s, as China opened up to foreign firms, the Charoen Pokphand Group became the preferred partner for international brands such as Honda, Walmart, and Tesco.

CP call home.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And they're talking about 100 000usd insurance, for covid19.....

I love seeing what happens when a large lorry clouts one of the concrete cable-carriers. It last happened somewhere in Bang-Na a a few years ago. Typically, several other concrete poles get dragged down either side of the pole collided with the inevitable traffic chaos.

'Tis a truly wondrous sight. A veritable monument to incompetence.

• Like 1

Personally i think it's about time that someone whispered in the ear hole of the perpetual tourist that the lads from the North are driving his car, using his petrol, and are about to flog it.......  It's the only way to stop the little yellow devils from the take over that's on the books.......  Just read CP's words....... "White out, Yellow in" ........ Sorry lads, all those hoops you've jumped through and all that cash you've put into Thai banks means squat !   Look at them , Little Tuu, Anutin, CP......... It's like a Chinese family get together..... and they've all forgotten why their daddys legged it from China......    

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mulambana said:

If somebody can come up with 15 minutes tests to check a corona virus positive person like blood glucose tests or pregnancy tests, he would be a billinoire. But it is out of leagure for posters in the forum. They can only show their expertise in this forum. 

And you are so successful that you spend alot of time telling dumb, unsuccessful posters how dumb and unsuccessful they are... 

• Haha 1

Quality over quantity - that sentence was valid in the past. Meanwhile TAT, the Thai revolving door at the minister of tourism's office and pure greed, combined with corruption and absolute ignorant arrogance ensured, that the Thai tourism product is not really worth the money - anymore and not for a long time.

The cheap zero dollar tourists came in the millions and the clown-in-chief prides himself with 40 million tourists a year. Dhanin is correct; it is easier to get a eight million tourists spending Baht 5000/day than 40 million tourists spending 1000 Baht a day. But the product has to justify the price and two-tier price policies, wrip-off from airport arrival exit to departure, the traffic, pollution etc. ensured that - like Thai Airways - a formerly excellent product was ransacked to the very sad state it is in today. And, please, do not try to put the tourism crisis on the presently ever-guilty "Covit-19"; Thailand's tourism has featured fever for quite some time now. 

Dhanin's way is the way to go but it will fail on the inability of Thais to follow suit and adhere to what a tourist expects for money! 

as an expat from usa (who is trapped in usa now)..and in and out of Thailand for 8 years ..i have to laugh at some  of the stupid things i hear out of thia government mouths!

i am still working in usa and maybe rich according to thai standards. where us the encouragement for all us foreign spouses that support our thai families and all the workers we hire and feed to maintain our properties we own in thailand. here's my fantasy bucket list..so obvious but " can,t sell stupid"

1. ask the expats for our needs and opinions. we should be the at the top of the desired visitor list

relax the absurd immigration standards and absurd reporting rules (especiially for us)

2.pick up the garbage..all the beaches disgusting now

3.crazy driving...duh

4. stop the application of banned pesticides causing so much cancer in the villages.

5.stop the double standards with farang

6. bring prices down to sane levels. a beer is almost 3 USD at happy hour..in portugal bottle .65 euro

so many cleaner, safer and nicer places  to go..where they care about foreigners and treat us likean  asset. just bought a cute villa in tavira,portugal..if my thai wife does not join me..then will need to find a hot brazilian samba queen for a girlfriend. cheap food, clean beaches, lovely people, reasonable government.

etc.etc. bye thailand..your loss and

( my wife) unless she joins me. getting to old for bullcrap and enuff here in usa with my idiot president

its been a good run but the minuses outweigh the pluses. plus thai government can kiss the butss of the chineae and all the indian RICH tourists..OMG

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, biggerpill said:

as an expat from usa (who is trapped in usa now)..and in and out of Thailand for 8 years ..i have to laugh at some  of the stupid things i hear out of thia government mouths!

i am still working in usa and maybe rich according to thai standards. where us the encouragement for all us foreign spouses that support our thai families and all the workers we hire and feed to maintain our properties we own in thailand. here's my fantasy bucket list..so obvious but " can,t sell stupid"

1. ask the expats for our needs and opinions. we should be the at the top of the desired visitor list

relax the absurd immigration standards and absurd reporting rules (especiially for us)

2.pick up the garbage..all the beaches disgusting now

3.crazy driving...duh

4. stop the application of banned pesticides causing so much cancer in the villages.

5.stop the double standards with farang

6. bring prices down to sane levels. a beer is almost 3 USD at happy hour..in portugal bottle .65 euro

so many cleaner, safer and nicer places  to go..where they care about foreigners and treat us likean  asset. just bought a cute villa in tavira,portugal..if my thai wife does not join me..then will need to find a hot brazilian samba queen for a girlfriend. cheap food, clean beaches, lovely people, reasonable government.

etc.etc. bye thailand..your loss and

( my wife) unless she joins me. getting to old for bullcrap and enuff here in usa with my idiot president

its been a good run but the minuses outweigh the pluses. plus thai government can kiss the butss of the chineae and all the indian RICH tourists..OMG

Vietnam,lot cheaper and nicer, beer 20 baht a bottle,I take my Thai girlfriend over for a week, ( she likes a drink )pay her air fare (4,000 baht) and the weeks cheaper and better quality than if i,d stayed in pattaya.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, petermik said:

Quality over Quantity.... living in Dreamland Mr

Not only Thailand wants quality tourists. European tourist countries also talk about less tourists but higher spending tourists. What is wrong with the idea?