Sweden - is the rest of the world dumb, blind or worse ?

48 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

If one were to look at the stats, 40% of all deaths in Sweden were from the Somali population, which makes up less than 1%, yet has been 40% of the deaths.  Add in the deaths from nursing homes with quite elderly people and comorbidities, and now you have 90+% of all the deaths in Sweden.

The Somalis were vitamin D deficient, as would be all the elderly in nursing homes.

I would bet if you take out the above population, the deaths of the rest of the population would be incredibly low.

The Somalis in Sweden are for sure not missing any D. They are in Sweden so they are being taken care of for SURE. And theres Guaranteed not enough sun in Sweden for them to lack vitamin D. They dont live in Africa anymore. The vitamin D is being rebuild with proper food and no sun.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

Posts have been removed.   Please do not post videos from unapproved sources.   Off-topic, inflammatory and troll posts have also been removed.  

To help all board members out, what are the "unapproved sources"?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sead said:

The Somalis in Sweden are for sure not missing any D. They are in Sweden so they are being taken care of for SURE. And theres Guaranteed not enough sun in Sweden for them to lack vitamin D. They dont live in Africa anymore. The vitamin D is being rebuild with proper food and no sun.

Yes, surely in Sweden they are finding enough supplementary vitamin D to take care of their needs. It's a cold country with limited strong sunshine, so you'd think Sweden of all countries would be on top of this for all populations. Vitamin D3 is a very cheap supplement. I can purchase a year's supply (5000 IU x 360) for US $11.

2 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

To help all board members out, what are the "unapproved sources"?

In general, Youtube videos don't make the cut, unless they are from an approved news source, meaning one which actually fact checks the information.  

Please take note of this rule about commenting on moderation to avoid problems:

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chessman said:

The common cold? That’s a Coronavirus that most people are able to catch multiple times.

The "common cold" is like saying "the flu" - but there are myrad different viruses that are "cold viruses" and "flu viruses."  Getting immunity for one, doesn't confer immunity to all others - though having had one strain of flu can provide immunity to similar future strains - even occurring years or decades apart.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Then no vaccine can work either - they work on creating immunity.

But I do not accept the premise that, because some had a relapse, that means there "is no immunity."  It just means some fraction of the fraction who get any  symptoms at all, had a relapse. 

Given those who are vulnerable to this virus are the very old and/or already sick, this should not be a surprising development.

A re-infection is probably a mutation. These viruses mutate quickly. In 1918 the first influenza wave hit in January, and by July, a new, far more virulent strain appeared.

There has never been any vaccination for a coronavirus.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

The "common cold" is like saying "the flu" - but there are myrad different viruses that are "cold viruses" and "flu viruses."  Getting immunity for one, doesn't confer immunity to all others - though having had one strain of flu can provide immunity to similar future strains - even occurring years or decades apart.

Perfect example of this was the Swine Flu (N1H1) and part of the reason it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

From the beginning of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, illness in people 65 and older has been less common than illness in younger people. This was true both in the United States and in the Southern Hemisphere during their flu season. In fact, people 65 and older were the group least likely to get sick with this virus. (One analysis showed that only 1.3 people for every 100,000 people 65 and older are had been infected with 2009 H1N1. This is compared to 26.7 per 100,000 of those 5 years to 24 years of age and 22.9 per 100,000 in those younger than 5 years old. Rates among younger persons were 15 to 20 times higher.) Laboratory tests on blood samples indicate that some older people likely have some pre-existing immunity to the 2009 H1N1 flu virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/vaccination/vaccine_seniors.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

A re-infection is probably a mutation. These viruses mutate quickly. In 1918 the first influenza wave hit in January, and by July, a new, far more virulent strain appeared.

Agree on the last point.  I was not aware they had isolated variations of the 1918 flu - just remember when they "dug it up" in Alaska for "study."  Scary.   I wonder if the Jan-infected were immune to the next variant?

The mortality of the 1918 flu had a lot to do with conditions - people packed together in war-stress.  One of the treatments that seemed to help, was getting the patients outside, in the sun, and fresh air in well-ventellated spaces. 

But, for some reason, "lockdown" was prescribed for this bug - with parks and beaches closed.  Social-distancing is one thing - locking people in boxes where viruses spread best, is something else.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Or maybe bad testing. Most of these covid tests are highly inaccurate.

• Thanks 2

I think it's worth it to reiterate this part.  Even with the best of intentions, we may be inadvertently setting ourselves up for a more deadly second wave.  It really makes sense to me to let nature run it's course rather than trying to outwit nature and potentially muck things up even worse.  But I know, I know, it's all about me me me me.

This increased severity has been attributed to the circumstances of the First World War.[105] In civilian life, natural selection favors a mild strain. Those who get very ill stay home, and those mildly ill continue with their lives, preferentially spreading the mild strain. In the trenches, natural selection was reversed. Soldiers with a mild strain stayed where they were, while the severely ill were sent on crowded trains to crowded field hospitals, spreading the deadlier virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Sorry, no, the density was not my argument, I simply told Susco that if he talks about the density and Sweden, that in order to have a meaningful comparison the vast empty forests should be taken out of the calculation.

If you want to examine the influence or importance of density, then look at Stockholm and London, compare them, not at the beautiful but empty forests, where not many people live beneath the trolls and elks, not even corona viruses.

I don't. The Covid stats are countrywide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Yes, herd immunity is the normal here, to be expected.

Please be aware that if immunity does not work, then a conventional vaccine does not work too. Vaccines provoke a reaction of the immune system, teach it what to do to fight the virus, if it shows up.  We get both or nothing.

More rubbish. Vaccines can still be developed from antibodies. Give it up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Sorry if the word "a given" disturbs you. I was just quoting from nauseous, and therefore even putting it in quotes, and "assume" in front of it:

You weren't quoting me, you were quoting yourself. And if you want to name names then have the decent courtesy to spell them correctly. 

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You weren't quoting me, you were quoting yourself. And if you want to name names then have the decent courtesy to spell them correctly. 

Here is what you posted, see post #70, and my post quoting it at #76:

What if herd immunity is not achievable with this novel virus? There is a big herd on this thread that assumes that herd immunity is a given, almost a human right, but this is not known for sure as yet. And even if there is some immunity, it may not be long-lasting. 

And this "assumes that herd immunity is a given," was what I then repeated, after explaining it.

I apologize for the typo in your name, I blame the spellchecker for that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, nauseus said:

More rubbish. Vaccines can still be developed from antibodies. Give it up.

Please explain how a vaccine developed from antibodies can possibly work when there is no immunity.

You might want to read up a little how antibodies, immunity, and vaccines based on antibodies work. Or better don't do it, you seem to know already that it's all rubbish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The undeniable reality is that  infection with SARS Cov-2 leaves behind significant physical damage in many of the infected.

It is new to me that an infection with SARS-CoV-2 alone, which are as you certainly know mostly asymptotic, "leaves behind significant physical damage". Did you confuse that with Covid-19, the sickness caused by SARS-CoV-2?

If not, please provide a source for this statement, preferably an "undeniable" one ????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Here is what you posted, see post #70, and my post quoting it at #76:

And this "assumes that herd immunity is a given," was what I then repeated, after explaining it.

I apologize for the typo in your name, I blame the spellchecker for that. 

This is your own post:

5 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

There is immunity to the other corona viruses. Even to SARS there seem to still be antibodies today in recovered patients. So if the would be no immunity to SARS-CoV-2 this would be an exception, different to what is seen with all the other corona viruses. Thus we assume that "herd immunity is a given".

And even the dubious Bill Gates agrees, his touted vaccine would not be able to work if there would be no immunity.

56 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Please explain how a vaccine developed from antibodies can possibly work when there is no immunity.

You might want to read up a little how antibodies, immunity, and vaccines based on antibodies work. Or better don't do it, you seem to know already that it's all rubbish.

A vaccine is primarily designed to immunise anyone against the virus. That's the whole point.

The make up of antigens and antibodies, once known, give initial data necessary for the development of the vaccine. 

26 minutes ago, nauseus said:

A vaccine is primarily designed to immunise anyone against the virus. That's the whole point.

The make up of antigens and antibodies, once known, give initial data necessary for the development of the vaccine. 

Obviously you didn't really understand this. Give it up.