12 month Bank Statements

Was talking with a Pattaya Agent during the week, and she insisted that both NON-O marriage and retirement extensions now require a 12 Bank Statement (Jomtien IO). I haven't seen this requirement anywhere on this TV thread. Is this a new requirement or is she misinformed.

Thank you for any relevant information.

(normally copies of the bank book, for the past 2-3 months seasoning, plus the book, was enough).

For Pattaya guys (re bank statements).

Yesterday Bangkok Bank (Naklua and 2nd Rd branches) informed that it takes 7 days to obtain a 12 month bank Statement (which must come from BKK). 6 months can do locally but they were adamant about the 12 mths. Which of course means you can't leave the statement until the last minute.

Anyone know anything different?

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

For Pattaya guys (re bank statements).

Yesterday Bangkok Bank (Naklua and 2nd Rd branches) informed that it takes 7 days to obtain a 12 month bank Statement (which must come from BKK). 6 months can do locally but they were adamant about the 12 mths. Which of course means you can't leave the statement until the last minute.

Anyone know anything different?

That is correct - only 6 months available at local branch or online.  As most people extend about a month early is not too much of a problem normally.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

So to make this more clear, what would the requirement be for changing status.

ie: marriage extension to retirement extension, and retirement extension to marriage extension.

I am sure it would be needed to change from retirement to marriage to prove you met the requirement for your existing extension.

For marriage to retirement it would not be required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my case, the 800k has been sitting in the same fixed account for several years. Will Jomtien Immigration need to see 12 months of statements? Won't the bank book make it clear that the money hasn't been touched?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mahjongguy said:

In my case, the 800k has been sitting in the same fixed account for several years. Will Jomtien Immigration need to see 12 months of statements? Won't the bank book make it clear that the money hasn't been touched?

You would think so. Easy to do with a savings account, but with a deposit account who knows.

Hopefully someone can post their experience using deposit account soon.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They want one for an extension based upon retirement if you already have one to prove you kept the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you applied and then 400k baht until you top it up to 800k baht at least 2 months before you apply for the next extension.
You only need proof you have 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply for an extension based upon marriage.

do you still need a statement if your bankbook is kept up to date every month, I could understand the statement if your book is not fully updated 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

the problem is that you can make withdrawals via ATM and never have your book updated so the book will have no record of 12 months activity 

However as I questioned above - I make sure my book is updated every month - takes 2 mins in the bank and is fully up to date for 12 months 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

do you still need a statement if your bankbook is kept up to date every month, I could understand the statement if your book is not fully updated 

That would depend upon the office where you apply.

Some offices are wanting bank statements for first time extensions now.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That would depend upon the office where you apply.

Some offices are wanting bank statements for first time extensions now.

jomtien, 10th extension - might opt for combo - 12 months fully updated bankbook 

1 minute ago, mahjongguy said:

My post was specific to fixed deposits. There is no way to make a withdrawal that won't appear in the bank book.

that is entirely different - same as my FCD account - only book required

Edited by smedly

2 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

You have a fixed deposit account from which you can withdraw money via ATM?

I updated my post before reading yours

why would you need a statement for a fixed account

I renewed my retirement extension towards the end of last month. I had a problem with my bank book in that I had left a long period between updates resulting in May, June and July of last year being missing. For those 3 months I substituted copies of pension payslip/UK bank statement/TransferWise invoice/Bangkok bank statement (internet print). I went to my account holding branch of Bangkok bank understanding that I could obtain the 12 month statement of foreign credits along with the account ownership letter on the day. They said it would take a week for the statement but provided the ownership letter. As I was otherwise ready to go I went to Jomtien anyway. After a short wait it was my turn and my documents were checked. I explained the bank book situation. I didn't mention the 12 months statement and neither did they. After 10 minutes I was done and picked up my passport with new extension the following day. 

On 5/16/2020 at 1:49 PM, mahjongguy said:

My post was specific to fixed deposits. There is no way to make a withdrawal that won't appear in the bank book.

I have used a fixed deposit account for the last 5 years with last one done in March this year. Not asked for statement or book to be updated. Jomtien. 

On 5/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, lopburi3 said:

That is correct - only 6 months available at local branch or online.  As most people extend about a month early is not too much of a problem normally.

so why not change to TMB bank. 12 months statement available online immediately with NO FEE involved. 

was at Udon Thani immigration and IO insisted on a bank statement from January 2019. I had renewed extension last May (Retirement/ Income Method) using embassy verification document. Going back with a Bangkok Bank statement requested from date of opening a Direct Deposit account (March 2019). Expiration for current extension is 26 May 2020. Any one else asked for more than 12 months proof of FTT >65K? 

Having read this thread through, I think that there is some confusion. The 12 months statements are required if you are not using the 800k in the bank route, but you are trying to show that your monthly income comes to a total of 800k or more....... note I say think that this is the case, someone with more knowledge please confirm or deny.

A word of caution, I went down this path. Previous posters are correct about only being able to get 6 months from the branch and 12 months having to come from head office.... well at least that is the case with Bangkok Bank.

Here is the caution, I have 2 monthly incomes that are paid into Bangkok Bank, one comes here from the UK as Pounds sterling and is changed into baht when it gets here, the other comes as Thai Baht. When the lady at the bank went through my statements she said that only the income that came in Pounds and was changed to Baht here could count. The one coming in Baht was not eligible. I don't understand the logic behind that because it was money that was quite clearly coming in from UK, but she said no and only counted the Pounds to Baht money in the verification letter that she gave me.

Perhaps Ubon Joe can throw some light this?

In the end, after messing about going to the bank 4 times to get the statements and knowing that I would then have to go to immigration etc., then to be told that I had left it too late and my visa would expire before all was approved, I said <deleted> to this, went to Ho Chi Mihn and got myself a new 12 month visa, came back and applied for the Elite visa option, 20 years for 1 million. Got approved a couple of weeks ago!! 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:16 PM, smedly said:

the problem is that you can make withdrawals via ATM and never have your book updated so the book will have no record of 12 months activity 

However as I questioned above - I make sure my book is updated every month - takes 2 mins in the bank and is fully up to date for 12 months 

You don't withdraw money from a Fixed Deposit Account. That's the whole idea with that type of account. 

6 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Can you do 6 months .... after your extension, then 6 months before doing your extension ie then 12 months?

That's certainly how I did it for my latest retirement extension at Rayong Immigration last July (and plan to do it again this July). However it would appear that single 12-month statements are the strict order of the day at Jomtien.

56 minutes ago, MrBanks said:

Having read this thread through, I think that there is some confusion. The 12 months statements are required if you are not using the 800k in the bank route, but you are trying to show that your monthly income comes to a total of 800k or more....... note I say think that this is the case, someone with more knowledge please confirm or deny.

A word of caution, I went down this path. Previous posters are correct about only being able to get 6 months from the branch and 12 months having to come from head office.... well at least that is the case with Bangkok Bank.

Here is the caution, I have 2 monthly incomes that are paid into Bangkok Bank, one comes here from the UK as Pounds sterling and is changed into baht when it gets here, the other comes as Thai Baht. When the lady at the bank went through my statements she said that only the income that came in Pounds and was changed to Baht here could count. The one coming in Baht was not eligible. I don't understand the logic behind that because it was money that was quite clearly coming in from UK, but she said no and only counted the Pounds to Baht money in the verification letter that she gave me.

Perhaps Ubon Joe can throw some light this?

In the end, after messing about going to the bank 4 times to get the statements and knowing that I would then have to go to immigration etc., then to be told that I had left it too late and my visa would expire before all was approved, I said <deleted> to this, went to Ho Chi Mihn and got myself a new 12 month visa, came back and applied for the Elite visa option, 20 years for 1 million. Got approved a couple of weeks ago!! 

If you apply for the 1 year extension ~30 days before the actual extension expires, you won't have to worry about time to get the documents needed. I also prefer paying ฿1900/year instead of paying for an Elite Visa. I spend only a few minutes per year at Jomtien Immigration when doing my annual extensions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

so why not change to TMB bank. 12 months statement available online immediately with NO FEE involved. 

According to the instruction document I was using (Pattaya City Expats Club) it requires the 12 month statement to be an original letter from the bank certified by them with stamp and signature. As stated above it turned out I didn't need it. I have attached the example PCEC provide.

Example Bank Letter Monthly Deposits.pdf