Sending Your Passport Out Of Thailand....

Just a quick one. Would it be illegal to send your passport out of Thailand to obtain a visa for a country who has no mission in the Kingdom? [North Korea in my case.]

baboon, you must keep your passport and visa while you are in Thailand. Not sure whether the country, to where you are sending the passport to, checks for the entry visa (even if it is your own, as the passport indicates that you are abroad).

Can you ask for visa by mail or somebody else with do it for you?. This is crucial but in whatever case Keep in here photocopies of the pages with your id and visa.

In here you will not be bothered by your passport except in banks and imigration.

Thanks for your reply, but how could I get a visa through the post if there is no passport to verify and stamp the visa into for the Government of North Korea?

I do not need to show my Passport at my local bank and have 90 day stamps on my visa. Would it really be O.K. just to keep a photocopy? :o

Edited by baboon

When I renewed my passport, I had to hand my old one into the British Embassy, it took them 3 weeks + to issue me my new one, not a lot I could do about it, however I did photocopy all relevant pages.

I suggest you do the same, whilst you are applying for your North Korean visa.

MM

Its a legal requirement to carry a passport with you as a visitor to the kingdom.. If you only hold one then no ifs, no buts, its illegal to not have one (actually illegal to not carry it or other recognised photo ID I understand)..

If you hold 2 it is legal to send the passport that was not used to enter Thailand (the one without the entry chop and TM7) outside of Thailand to get another countries visa.. My oil contracting mates do this a lot, one used to leave his passport in another country so the employer could get and keep work permit obligations in it..

You really should have a second passport if you have to do this from Thailand as Thai law requires that everyone have photo ID at all times and for foreigners the police, in recent years, have made it clear that only a passport will make them happy and you will be there guest until it is retrieved. Probably not likely to happen but all it would take is one bad day to really turn into a life experience saga.

But if I went to my local Police station and explained the situation, gave them my address and a copy of my Wifes ID card, could that possibly help? I do not hold a second Passport, I am in Thailand legally and am not known to the local police for any crime or troublemaking.

If you were to submit your passport for a day or two while applying for a visa to a country which did have a diplomatic presence in Thailand, you'd get a receipt for it. Presenting that receipt along with copies of the photo page of your passport, the page with your current stamp, your current Thai visa if any, and your original TM.6 Departure card would probably be acceptable to any Thai cops. It's the one sort of situation (along with showing a police report and re-application receipt due a lost or stolen passport) where'd they'd likely get the gist and give you a pass.

This does not apply at all to mailing your passport away of course since you have nothing at all to show you really had a valid passport in the first place. Anybody with Photoshop and a printer can dummy up a passable copy; thus authorities more and more insist on the original article. If you really have to do this and you really aren't comfortable, pre-empt any problems by introducing yourself at the local police station to a senior Thai policeman, explain what you'll be doing, and ask politely for his name card. After you get your passport make a point to go back and show him your new visa, thank him with a small gift and you've made a new friend.

And just how are you going to DPRK - with a travel agent through China?

I done all the booking and paperwork withthe travel agent - who then took my passport to the DPRK delegation in Bkk - thats where my visa was issued in 2004. Don't know what has changed since then (if anything) but why not look into that option?

MF

You'll have a load of fun - take the guides cigerretes - they'll love you for it.

Just a quick one. Would it be illegal to send your passport out of Thailand to obtain a visa for a country who has no mission in the Kingdom? [North Korea in my case.]

DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF KOREA

Embassy of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea

No. 14 Mooban Suanlaemtong 2 (soi 28)

Pattanakan Road, Suan Luang District

10250 Bangkok, Thailand

Tel.

(662) 319-2686

Fax

(662) 318-6333

And just how are you going to DPRK - with a travel agent through China?

I done all the booking and paperwork withthe travel agent - who then took my passport to the DPRK delegation in Bkk - thats where my visa was issued in 2004. Don't know what has changed since then (if anything) but why not look into that option?

MF

You'll have a load of fun - take the guides cigerretes - they'll love you for it.

DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF KOREA

Embassy of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea

No. 14 Mooban Suanlaemtong 2 (soi 28)

Pattanakan Road, Suan Luang District

10250 Bangkok, Thailand

Tel.

(662) 319-2686

Fax

(662) 318-6333

Thanks for those replies, gents. :o

I think that you are too much concerned as it appears that you can do your business with no troubles.

If you can not do it in here (trying the local embassy as percy2 advised you), then just do what you intend. The risk is low and the ilegality of not having a passport during 15 days is also extremerly for low (near to none).

You are doing northing fraudulent or missintended... Just do not forget to keep the photocopies.

cheers