Thai Airways ponders bankruptcy as it enters rehab

webfact

Thai Airways ponders bankruptcy as it enters rehab

ByThe Thaiger

image-1536x1002.jpg

PHOTO: AJ Wood

Thai Airways, which turns 60 years old this month, recorded a net loss of US$66 million in 2017, US$361 million in 2018 and US$374 million last year. As the airline contemplates getting its grounded planes back in the air, it’s now confronted with a PR disaster at home as the government ponders a bailout valued around 60 billion baht, around US$1.8 billion.

Thai social media has turned on the national carrier wondering why they are eligible for a massive state bailout and loans whilst many Thais, now out of work, are struggling to get their 5,000 baht hand-out from the government or end up waiting in food queues each day.

Now it emerges that one of the options could be putting the ailing airline into bankruptcy as an option to enable its rehabilitation. Ultimately the decision will be made by the Thai cabinet but the Thai Aways board has been resisting vital restructure for a decade, and filing for bankruptcy is seen as an option to take the key decisions out of their hands.

Now it emerges that one of the options could be putting the ailing airline into bankruptcy as an option to enable its rehabilitation. Ultimately the decision will be made by the Thai cabinet but the Thai Aways board has been resisting vital restructure for a decade, and filing for bankruptcy is seen as an option to take the key decisions out of their hands.

Thailand’s Finance Minister, Uttama Savanayana, says the government is open to the option but is looking at all possibilities for the national carrier. The government is a 51% shareholder. Rehabilitation of the airline could be enabled by an order from the bankruptcy court, or by the State Enterprise Policy Committee approving a rehabilitation plan.

Mr Uttama says that “time has run out, and the operator must change. While all parties try their best to solve the problem, there must be serious co-operation between them.”

Meanwhile, the Thai PM, Prayut Chan-o-cha has agreed to the moves towards rehabilitation for Thai Airways. And Deputy PM and Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, said that several internal rehab plans have been conducted, but with no success. Another new option would involve debt

rehabilitation with each of the lenders providing $300,000 or more. But the proposed plan will have to be decided by Thai Airway’s shareholders.

As reported by Simple Flying, the restructuring of Thai Aways under the government rehabilitation plan will involve cutting down the size of its fleet. Spending cuts would also mean job losses as the airline battles for survival.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/thai-airways-ponders-bankruptcy-as-it-enters-rehab

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2020-05-18

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, moojar said:

I wonder who owns the 49% not controlled by the government?  Presumably traded on the Thai stock exchange and presumably bought by Thai people.  Did they not know better?   

image.png.437ef387325059dc99366c62e5bf3749.png

• Thanks 2

I hate to say this but put anyone else in to run the thing except a person who's nationality is the same as the carriers name and who isnt beholden to anyone there or in the government and tasked specifically to turn it around and their renumeration based soley on their success.

Sooo it will be bankrupcy or bailout with the cycle of abuse and missmanagment uninterupted. Wash, rinse and repeat!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheRun said:

They should bite the bullet and appoint a non Thai as CEO. I'd suggest they approach the Japanese guy who turned JAL around, he worked miracles there.

Any competant CEO could turn it around provided he is NOT a Thai.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vigilante said:

Terrible time for any rehabilitation, restructuring or anything of the sort.

Air travel in the dole-drums for the next year or so, no sane investor will be pouring any money in a bloated, bankrupt company

True, but making big changes during a time of lousy business opportunities makes sense.   Things are always cheaper in down cycles, and when things do pick up, you are ready.  While the military runs Thailand, I will never fly THAI.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vigilante said:

Terrible time for any rehabilitation, restructuring or anything of the sort.

Air travel in the dole-drums for the next year or so, no sane investor will be pouring any money in a bloated, bankrupt company

I’m not so sure about that.  Clearly, one major part of that process would be conditioned on TG being able to access the larger capital markets (ie bonds, equity) in any post-restructuring scenario.

Looking at the Bank of Thailand’s (BoT) latest public bond offerings they issued a 3yr note on May 7th which had a bid coverage ratio in excess of 2.00. They also issued a 4.5yr note on May 13th with bid coverage above 3.25....

so... it appears to me, even in this COVID environment, that state debt notes are still in high demand (any bid cover ratio above 2.0 signals a strong demand by investors)

Therefore, I’d argue that with the right traunch maturity schedule matched with the correct asset-backed collateralization, a post-restructured TG could in fact find adequacy financing.

naturally to do all this also means that most all common equity holders will be wiped out entirely, severely liquidated or be required to accept substantial restricting of their equity position.

To me the larger issue for Thai isn’t their immediate financial restructuring issue per se.. it’s the willingness of the existing leadership and general public to accept the reality as to where Thais’ business is really at right now and going forward AND also accept the painful (but IMHO necessary) steps that it needs to make in order to put them back onto any semblance of a legitimately viable long-term business operating without the need for constant state-backed equity infusions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bruceprior said:

However it turns out I have a feeling that I should have taken the refund instead of rolling over the ticket until BNE -> BKK comes back to life!!

Crossing my fingers.......

Lucky for you that you were not flying with Air Asia, i had 2 flights cancelled, but was only given the chance to request a voucher for later flights. Incidentally , to date i have only received 'promises.

This isn't promising to hear from a business that owes me B40000 for cancelled flights. I imagine my equity position is somewhere near the bottom of the dumpster

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 2