English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

You are not teaching English if you are using the American version of spelling and pronunciation.

You are teaching American English. 

American English isn't English? Tell that to everyone who speaks it. American English is the most influential English in the world. And even though I was born in the US, I'm not taking sides, as the US is a melting pot of all countries.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Many people fail to understand that Thai people are learning English as a second language and NOT first language.

It's perfectly normal not to speak perfect English as long as people can understand them.

I've known many foreigners who still can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai.

If you are taught bad English you will speak bad English.

I learned Thai as a second language taught by a person who speaks excellent Thai so I am capable of understanding and speaking good Thai.

it is not “normal” to speak bad English it just shows you were either a bad student or had a bad teacher.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:
8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You are not teaching English if you are using the American version of spelling and pronunciation.

You are teaching American English. 

Ask them about their favorite movies, songs, etc......

Sure, some are Korean, but the ones in English are ALL American English.  

Nobody in Thailand cares for movies from the UK, and nobody would rather go to London instead of NYC.  Deal with it.

Nobody has ever said, "We don't want a teacher from America."  However, many have said, "Brits are sometimes hard to understand."

Talk to parents, 99.99% will pick America

Reality, live with it.

lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

American English isn't English? Tell that to everyone who speaks it. American English is the most influential English in the world. And even though I was born in the US, I'm not taking sides, as the US is a melting pot of all countries.

No. American English is not English. It is a derivative of English.

I agree that American English is more common around the world because of the influence of Hollywood movies and television.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Geography !!  Behave yourself, this is Thailand, only country in the World that matters.

My wife school director, asked me is Turkey next to England.:cheesy:

She has absolutely no idea about World geography.

I'm sure she does.

She must know all the countries that border Thailand. That is world geography - isn't it?

• Haha 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

No. American English is not English. It is a derivative of English.

I agree that American English is more common around the world because of the influence of Hollywood movies and television.

Meaning it is English . And more popular not only for that but because it's easier to use.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I was going to say similar do they teach geography in Thai schools? had one years ago thought Great Britain was a different country to England I didn't even bother to try and explain that one, I agreed with her

Thailand being the center of the Universe and in a couple of years the whole world will be speaking Thai

'in a couple of years the whole world will be speaking Thai'

You've been listening to our illustrious leader again haven't you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

I have seen Thais  with  degrees in INGLIT   who cant speak a word of it many are teachers

I know one, University degree in English but unable to have a conversation in English.

3 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Ask them about their favorite movies, songs, etc......

Sure, some are Korean, but the ones in English are ALL American English.  

Nobody in Thailand cares for movies from the UK, and nobody would rather go to London instead of NYC.  Deal with it.

Nobody has ever said, "We don't want a teacher from America."  However, many have said, "Brits are sometimes hard to understand."

Talk to parents, 99.99% will pick America

Reality, live with it.

lol 

I agree that American cultural influence is far larger than that of the UK.

The rest of your post seems to be made up of generalisations you present as facts. The reality is an American who is teaching English using his native pronunciation and spelling is not teaching English. They are teaching American English which is a derivative of English.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. 

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Only Americans, Canadians and Filipinos speak American English. The rest of the world speaks English English.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Meaning it is English . And more popular not only for that but because it's easier to use.

Once again. No it is not English. It is a derivative of English.

Is Italian the same as latin?

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Many people fail to understand that Thai people are learning English as a second language and NOT first language.

It's perfectly normal not to speak perfect English as long as people can understand them.

I've known many foreigners who still can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai.

I agree...but I wrote before in this Forum that in my country a teacher of Dutch language needs a degree to do so...otherwise any Dutch speaking person - even with low IQ - can qualify as a teacher....I speak several languages and all of them with some mistakes but I do not try to get a job as a language teacher.

• Like 1

I agree that American cultural influence is far larger than that of the UK.

The rest of your post seems to be made up of generalisations you present as facts. The reality is an American who is teaching English using his native pronunciation and spelling is not teaching English. They are teaching American English which is a derivative of English.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. 

This is sounding like prejudice speaking. American English is English, whether it's a derivative or not. Yes, it originally came from British speaking settlers.

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Years ago there was a phrase 'pathmaster transplant' (it was referring to a software program which needed upgrading).

I remember someone from the home counties saying 'parthmarster trarnsplarnt'.

Good thing you weren't in the West Country... "Out the way of me combine 'arrvester, ye bleddy grockels!"

• Haha 2

Once again. No it is not English. It is a derivative of English.

Is Italian the same as latin?

American English (AmE, AE, AmEng, USEng, en-US), sometimes called United States English or U.S. English. ......................It's English.

2 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I agree...but I wrote before in this Forum that in my country a teacher of Dutch language needs a degree to do so...otherwise any Dutch speaking person - even with low IQ - can qualify as a teacher....I speak several languages and all of them with some mistakes but I do not try to get a job as a language teacher.

Having spent some time in the Netherlands, I have formed the opinion that many Netherlanders speak better English than me......and much better than any American that I have met!

• Like 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

This is sounding like prejudice speaking. American English is English, whether it's a derivative or not. Yes, it originally came from British speaking settlers.

There is no prejudice at all. There is absolutely no problem with someone teaching American English.  

20 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Even if they didn't, all doubts should be removed around the 1.18 mark when it all gets too much and she reverts back to explaining in Thai for a while. 

True, and it's "reverts," not "reverts back."  ????

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

American English (AmE, AE, AmEng, USEng, en-US), sometimes called United States English or U.S. English. ......................It's English.

Then why is it differentiated?

It is heavily based on English but it is a variation.   

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

There is no prejudice at all. There is absolutely no problem with someone teaching American English.  

I have a big problem with it when my son's homework comes home with some spellings corrected from English to American English. Who on earth calls corriander "cilantro"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Good thing you weren't in the West Country... "Out the way of me combine 'arrvester, ye bleddy grockels!"

Ha ha, yes!

As well as grockels, while working in Devon I came across "spuddlin' " - bullsh!ting.

• Haha 1