English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

Just now, wazzupnow said:

please stop teaching THINGLISH get some real english teachers on TV, and or the schools

u can not teach a thai english after the age of 5, thinglish is the best u get

My step-daughter (acquired age 12) would beg to differ (age 22 now).

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I saw a native American booking into a hotel. The receptionist asked if he had a reservation.

He replied that did have one, but the government took it off him.

best laugh of the week, thank you. Still chuckling now, 2 hours later, I must be easily amused i guess. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

You misspelled, probrem.???? This is a classic example of why the standard of English is so abysmal in Thailand.

I think this was in jest.  If you've been to Thailand you would know this is how many thai would pronounce problem.  Actually I think it would be pobem because they can't say r or l.  

I'm glad this issue is jamming Thai social media.   as far as I'm concerned the head of Education should be fired immediately.   I dated a Thai English major who was an English teacher before becoming a School director. Many of her friends were English majors and it  is crazy that they graduate such terrible English speakers like this, much less  hire them to teach.

Edited by Elkski

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

Many people fail to understand that Thai people are learning English as a second language and NOT first language.

It's perfectly normal not to speak perfect English as long as people can understand them.

I've known many foreigners who still can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai.

Yes, but I would bet their pronunciation isn't as bad as hers. She's an English teacher in a school and she can't even pronounce the words English and school properly.

The standard of education isn't great, and it's not helped by the poor level of teachers and the insane proposals that each Minister of Education comes out withe every 6-9ths. 

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

Many people fail to understand that Thai people are learning English as a second language and NOT first language.

It's perfectly normal not to speak perfect English as long as people can understand them.

I've known many foreigners who still can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai.

Amen! The whole idea is to be able to communicate, anything beyond that is just icing on the cake. I wonder how many of the people complaining can speak a language other than English? I also wonder how good their English is, or isn't, as the case may be? Stones, glass houses, and all that stuff... ????

Edited by GalaxyMan

18 hours ago, Retarded said:

So the perfection of speech by the second language teachers shouldn't be a priority for qualification. 

English is my second language and I still get laugh by others for my wrong grammar and funny accent.

But I manage to live without that much difficulty and don't even try to imitate perfect English. 

As long as I am able to communicate, that is all matter I am concerned about. Not so perfect, so what.     

I once had academic association with the head of the English dept of an "elite" international university in Bangkok. She told me "any accent is ok, as long as I can understand them." I was taken aback at first, but later it came through. In short, here in Asia, specially in Bangkok being the hub of it, one encounters as many accents as one can imagine. The main thing is getting business done. That means you have to tweak your ear quite a bit when listening to a non-native English accent. Especially from those who speak English fluently, ie the Hongkongese (?), Singaporeans, Malaysians, Indians, etc. It's quite a chore but you adapt to it since you have no choice really (and thank god not so painful as listening to the sound of crunching rocks I mean a Cockney accent!) 

If I want to hear un-mannered, smooth-as-silk accent, I go back to California.

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

I (and I guess most other foreigners here in Thailand) usually at least understand the context of what people are saying even if they are having problem with what words to use, sentence structure, pronunciation, and etc, when they are speaking English. But most Thais don't understand a foreigner who are speaking THAI with any grammatical and pronunciation mistakes; I tried to buy a bus ticket from Mo Chit to Kamphaeng Phet (กำแพงเพชร), but as I pronounced it Khamphaeng Phet I was told that there is no such place in Thailand... And I have been sold bus tickets to the wrong place more than one time because they just don't listen to what we are saying...
(I was speaking Thai and tried to buy a bus ticket to Tak from the 999 counter at Mo Chit bus station):
- I want a ticket to Tak.
* You are going to Trat?!
- No, I want to go to Tak.
* Trat?!
- No, Tak city in the north of Thailand.
* Trat?!
- Listen, I want to go to Tak, and the bus goes Nakorn Sawan - Kamphaeng Phet - Tak - Lampang.
* Ah, you want to go to Nakorn Sawan!
... Then I went to another bus company and got my ticket straight away without problem

Edited by Kasset Tak

46 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

And to others who are intelligent enough to understand you don't judge someone by a few typed words. If you're not American, and i can see by what you say  aren't, then you should understand by what both I and others have said it's easy to misunderstand those that talk American and English English. If what I said is incoherent to you, it's you that needs to study harder, because most others here understand my gist.

And how would a canadian speaker of english fit into your not american theory?  I am certainly north american. I would love to hear your theory on that.

With the exception of a tendency toward uk based spelling (and even that is fading fast) I was raised on a diet of american media.

I have also studied literature and continue to read a large amount. As I have said elsewhere in the thread, I am comfortable with the venacular of both the us and the uk.

I see little difference in the two variants beyond what could be considered some synonyms and pronunciation, basically localisms (extreme regional accents aside).

Certainly it is all much of one on the page, the rules dont change much grammatically, if at all

I defy you to find any real difference in the manner in which I speak and, say, that of anyone from anywhere along the west coast and majority of the midwest.

As for others understanding your gist, I suspect that you are confusing a lack of reaction or response to your opinions as acceptance, and many are more bemused by by your simplistic views than accepting of them.

But yet again I get sucked down the rabbit hole of your "innocence". You are thaivisa's own ken m, absent the irony.

Edited by n00dle

I know girls that were paying for English classes! I told them to quit because they were not learning English! They were being taught by someone who came from a country that didn't even speak English!

Edited by MyTHaiMyKe

1 hour ago, watthong said:

For verification, all my Philipino American friends, except for their offsprings who were born in America (to be specific, the USA) don't speak American English. They speak Tagalog-English. Somewhere along this thread it was described as "sing-song" English. Similar to what you hear from an Indian (from India), though at a bit slower pace, but not by much. Though that doesn't rule out the possibility of some Philipino from the Philippines who speak American English and come to teach English in Bangkok...

I once met a young Vietnamese girl working at the reception of a language learning center in Dalat, VN. When she answered me in English I thought she comes from California. When asked, she said she has never set foot outside her hometown.

My 5 years working in makati introduced me to countless philipinos that were nearly  indistinguishable from us english speakers unless they consciously chose to speak taglish.

Its all a matter of where or how they were educated.

That said, I was also battered almost sensless by taglish on a daily basis and still cringe in miy nightmares when I hear someone ask me if I want to avail the promotion.

Edited by n00dle

A back packer passing through could do better.

Therefore all their degree and license requirements are nugatory.

She should never have been put in that position for the world to see, If she volunteered she should know better.

Edited by maprao

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My step-daughter (acquired age 12) would beg to differ (age 22 now).

As would 90 percent of thais I socialize with and call friend.

While we mix languges while speaking, english is by far the language we use most and while the accents and grammar may be imperfect, there is little self-conciousness or lack of fluency in the way they speak and comprehension is high.

24 minutes ago, n00dle said:

And how would a canadian speaker of english fit into your not american theory?  I am certainly north american. I would love to hear your theory on that.

With the exception of a tendency toward uk based spelling (and even that is fading fast) I was raised on a diet of american media.

I have also studied literature and continue to read a large amount. As I have said elsewhere in the thread, I am comfortable with the venacular of both the us and the uk.

I see little difference in the two variants beyond what could be considered some synonyms and pronunciation, basically localisms (extreme regional accents aside).

Certainly it is all much of one on the page, the rules dont change much grammatically, if at all

I defy you to find any real difference in the manner in which I speak and, say, that of anyone from anywhere along the west coast and majority of the midwest.

As for others understanding your gist, I suspect that you are confusing a lack of reaction or response to your opinions as acceptance, and many are more bemused by by your simplistic views than accepting of them.

But yet again I get sucked down the rabbit hole of your innocence, you are a modern day ken m, absent the irony.

I never heard you speak, nor you I, so neither knows how well the other speaks. I teach English to help those that can't. All I've said here was that it's better to learn from someone who speaks fluent English without a hard accent, not that it's impossible. You of all people, seeing that you were raised on American media, should understand what I've been saying. I've talked to 5 from here who agree with what I've been saying. Simplistic views, although I've "pasted others words" as you say? You are so far off it amuses me, and those I've talked with. I'm neither a troll or ignorant. You've said some of the same things I have, agreeing that both American and English English are correct, that only some words are different with the same meanings. If you learn English from an Englishman, you will have that accent. The same goes for learning from you , I or any other North American. The fact you keep coming back trying to prove me wrong speaks volumes. I teach English because I speak it fluently, with an "American" accent, impeccable spelling, and can spot grammatical errors with ease. Before you comment again, try messaging me and you can speak to me privately, so you would understand instead of blindly assuming. I have nothing to hide. I've taught over a thousand students, and they've all improved their English skills because of it. Innocence? You've made quite a few people laugh with your brand of malarkey. Eh?

Edited by fredwiggy

What's bullying got to do with bad pronunciation?

Maybe they feel she's being bullied because somebody has the audacity to suggest that "she has a plomplem problem with her plonunciation spoken English?

Actually, quite a lot of people from the UK have a problem with proper pronunciation of the English language!!! ????

3 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Fantastic bit of comedy. 

Just have to love the Thai Humor 

More to the point it is satire, something many on here claim thais are incapable of understanding when nothing could be farther from the truth.

25 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I wonder how many of the people complaining can speak a language other than English?

I used to speak English, Thai, French, Spanish and German ...... probably all of them better than her English.

I actually got paid for teaching English, French and German in UK high schools ..... not as badly as her. 

I can still understand Spanish and French movies, but I wouldn't want to try and speak without a bit of practise.

German has mostly gone.

45 minutes ago, Pilotman said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I saw a native American booking into a hotel. The receptionist asked if he had a reservation.

He replied that did have one, but the government took it off him.

best laugh of the week, thank you. Still chuckling now, 2 hours later, I must be easily amused i guess. 

Thanks! However, I'm not always original.

The quote's from an American comedy film, but I can't remember the name of it.

I did try googling to find it, but with no success.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

As I have said many times, Thai language is very different from European languages so to require most of them to speak perfect English is near impossible ( a few talented ones might).

I have seen a few native English teachers teaching English to Thai students and yet, the students still can't pronounce well.

There is such a thing called the human voice box ie the whole system of the human organs to produce sound, in this case the vocal cords and muscles. A native English teacher can produce perfect English sound, but he/she might not have a clue - let alone instruct - on how to "work your mouth" to produce such sound.

For example French and English are very different in the way they sound. I don't often hear a French who can speak perfect - well, let's be reasonable and say, just decent - English and vice versa. I speak both fluently but due to the way my voice box is trained to handle such a range of diverse sounds, my accent comes out more Canadian than American, even though I'm the latter.

Edited by watthong

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The fact you keep coming back trying to prove me wrong speaks volumes. I teach English because I speak it fluently, with an "American" accent, impeccable spelling, and can spot grammatical errors with ease.

Would point out Noodle's written English is far better that your written English.

Noodle also appears to understand paragraphs, and spacing.

I can only comment on the post you quoted as I have Noodle on ignore.

• Like 1

Well it wasnt easy to look at that video. she shouldnt been in the video at first. So whoever verified and assigned her should be that one to blame. This government said last year that they dont need foreign teachers because their local teacher are undergoing some training of high standard. Theres so much wrong about the attitude of the thai government in the regards we are the best of the best.

• Like 2

I use Microsoft Office, Norwegian version. The program allows me to add multiple languages. When it comes to English, I can choose the following versions:

Australia
Belize
Canada
The Caribbean Islands
The Philippines
India
Ireland
Jamaica
Malaysia
New Zealand
Singapore
UK
South-Africa
Trinidad and Tobago
USA
Zimbabwe

I often use Google Translate to translate from Norwegian to English and sometimes to Thai.

For information, the Norwegian word "farge" is translated to Colour.