When the world finally opens up again, where will you go first?

WineOh

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

haven't really wanted to do that since I was 30...

Me neither. As a youth, I used to enjoy big crowds. But now? The thought of paying big bucks for a concert, or a music festival ticket, only to be jostled around by an enormous crowd is very unappealing. And in the post Covid era, crowds are going to have an entirely different connotation than before. Radioactive! Concerts, sporting events, huge theaters, and music festivals, are going to have to invent a new business model, I suspect. 

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Probably to a cinema, and for sure will be eating out alot. But, the more important points about opening up are that it will take some time to see how this all shakes out, but it is my opinion that the economic fallout from the inane economic shutdown, is going to be 200 times worse than Covid itself, and the recovery "ramp up" will be long and excruciating. Far longer than they say. It will not just bounce back. In the history of the world, as far as we know, there has never been a deliberate worldwide economic shutdown. It is light years beyond dumb. The "slowdown" will last well into 2021, for certain. And some industries may never come back, or will be a pale shadow of their former selves. No doubt homelessness will skyrocket in the US. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work.

What about concerts? Will people be willing to hang out with crowds of 20,000, at a cost of hundreds of dollars for a crappy seat? Same with sports. Will people be willing to go into a stadium or an arena with 20,000 to 100,000 people close together, and pay crazy money for a seat? Movie theaters? Cruise ships? Will the hordes just start descending on restaurants again, and pay inane prices for a gourmet meal? The list goes on, and on and on. And in the end, hundreds millions worldwide could end up far poorer than they were before. And tens of millions could end up starving to death, compared to perhaps 300,000 or so total deaths worldwide from Covid. OK. The rich stay safe and financially secure. And the rest of us? And those of us who are self employed, without fortunes in the bank? There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time. So will the rest of the world. 

I would be happy if the value of the baht would start feeling the pain and drop. Will save me a fortune at nana plaza ????

I suspect this may depend on the Thai authorities who, like Australia/New Zealand may open up to safe 'bubbles' . Obvious candidates are Viet Nam, South Korea, Taiwan etc. But I cannot see them allowing unrestricted travel between such dangerous countries as Brazil, the UK, the US etc. which would mean scarcely controlled importation of infected travellers.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, BritManToo said:

Probably Siem Reap, as my last trip there was cut short by the borders closing.

But it depends on time of year, SR is hot as hell in the summer, and flight prices.

Siem Reap is a great town. I was there for 3 months at the beginning of the year, and may go back once things lighten up a bit. A nice change of pace from Thailand.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Don't know. You make it sound as if we have been locked down for years not just a few months, and don't most on here rarely leave the country anyway?

It seems like almost every post here comes from a tourist. I live in Thailand long term,why would I go anywhere just because countries opens up again in the near future?

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It seems like almost every post here comes from a tourist. I live in Thailand long term,why would I go anywhere just because countries opens up again in the near future?

Yep take your point fully and there would certainly be no rush even if you do like moving around, particularly with all the crazy new ott rules that will be in place. To be honest I've always seen both sides of the argument with this one. I DO live here and still enjoy going on jaunts a few times a year to clear the cobwebs etc and keep things interesting (I didn't leave the UK just to see one place) but can also understand why others can't be bothered. Travelling is a hassle (pre covid) and those that don't go aren't missing much really...sometimes the build up and anticipation is better than the reality of the trip..

I just thought it was a bit of an over excitable, cheesey question, considering it's only been 2 months..

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Long term here too - but we still take annual trips 2 week up to 6 months at a time.....

By changing our yearly travel months we missed out on being RVing still in the states - undecided whether good or bad = we would have been fine & happy there too....

Edited by pgrahmm

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

Long term here too - but we still take annual trips 2 week up to 6 months at a time.....

By changing our yearly travel months we missed out on being still in the states - undecided whether good or bad = we would have been fine & happy there too....

Even if you were on a ventilator in ICU?

38 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Even if you were on a ventilator in ICU?

It's not as dire there as you make it....Several adjacent states have 0/zip restrictions & close to that in recorded cases - that's precisely where we'd be....Our flights would have been prior the start of C19 (the flights would be the biggest danger).....

We don't do the party/mixing/glad hand/group get together thing + if we really wanted to social distance we could boondock in comfort for a week or two.....

But, more than likely we'd stay a month someplace with hook ups & more conveniences - maybe moving once a month while observing all precautions....

Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Utah, and Wyoming never issued statewide stay-at-home orders.....Utah would have been my choice.....

Edited by pgrahmm

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Staying home I've got everything I need here and wait for the Premier league to kick off, 

Pretty much same as me but I like to go get some sand between my toes now and then hence I can't wait start back up my weekend trips to Koh Chang, only a 2 hr drive and If I go  steady on the friday beers I can easily make the 1st Saturday ferry over !!

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Me neither. As a youth, I used to enjoy big crowds. But now? The thought of paying big bucks for a concert, or a music festival ticket, only to be jostled around by an enormous crowd is very unappealing. And in the post Covid era, crowds are going to have an entirely different connotation than before. Radioactive! Concerts, sporting events, huge theaters, and music festivals, are going to have to invent a new business model, I suspect. 

I just appreciate the fact that I can now go out for a relaxing coffee with friends....

279392111_Photoon22-5-2563BEat12_06.jpg.fcf1ddbaa37e31a10fd359532fabe661.jpg

• Thanks 1

I may have previously posted on here, and would have mentioned going for a trip down the Canal du Midi, which I would still like to do, but just getting there seems to be a bit of a pain, and anyway a couple of guys I suggested it too, were not that keen, so.....on the backburner for now.

But all is not lost because I have been thinking about train journeys, and I was always keen on them, mainly because my dad worked on the railways years back and we got free tickets to go many places.

One I should have done whilst I was in New Zealand last time, was the Tranz Alpine Express, but never seemed to get round to it, but when this lot is over I will make an effort to do it, and I will also take in the great train journeys in Australia, the Ghan, being one. The problem with this one is I believe it's mostly the same scenery, which is not that enthralling, so any other suggestions would be most welcome.

• Like 1