When the world finally opens up again, where will you go first?

WineOh

1 minute ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Yes, but, who can even stand Tolkien?

What a birdbrain.

To be fair, it was not the turgid prose that I found objectionable, so much as the complete absence of concern for the laws of physics and basic mechanics.  We can all imagine worlds of magic and dreary poetry, but if the laws of physics and basic mechanics do not apply? No, I cannot imagine that.

But that was the film-makers, not Tolkein.  

On 5/21/2020 at 12:00 AM, spidermike007 said:

Probably to a cinema, and for sure will be eating out alot. But, the more important points about opening up are that it will take some time to see how this all shakes out, but it is my opinion that the economic fallout from the inane economic shutdown, is going to be 200 times worse than Covid itself, and the recovery "ramp up" will be long and excruciating. Far longer than they say. It will not just bounce back. In the history of the world, as far as we know, there has never been a deliberate worldwide economic shutdown. It is light years beyond dumb. The "slowdown" will last well into 2021, for certain. And some industries may never come back, or will be a pale shadow of their former selves. No doubt homelessness will skyrocket in the US. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work.

What about concerts? Will people be willing to hang out with crowds of 20,000, at a cost of hundreds of dollars for a crappy seat? Same with sports. Will people be willing to go into a stadium or an arena with 20,000 to 100,000 people close together, and pay crazy money for a seat? Movie theaters? Cruise ships? Will the hordes just start descending on restaurants again, and pay inane prices for a gourmet meal? The list goes on, and on and on. And in the end, hundreds millions worldwide could end up far poorer than they were before. And tens of millions could end up starving to death, compared to perhaps 300,000 or so total deaths worldwide from Covid. OK. The rich stay safe and financially secure. And the rest of us? And those of us who are self employed, without fortunes in the bank? There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time. So will the rest of the world. 

People are already booking cruises. The cruise lines reported what I thought unusually high numbers for new bookings. People are already on TV here ignoring social distancing at some amusement parks. I mean completely disregarding it. So I think people will go back to the old normal rather quickly it's in our DNA. 

If the Rolling Stones came to town and had a concert with no social distancing it would sell out immediately. The only thing stopping them is a handful of governors and mayors. The type of people that would drag you out of the water if you try to swim at the beach.

I agree with you on the economic impact and usually we agree on very little. Thailand's pain hasn't even begun yet. Of course for other places as well, but I expect it to be pretty severe in places like Thailand. NYC will most likely never come back if they do not open 100% and do it very soon. It will be odd in 20 years when we talk about peak NYC and peak California.  

It is hard enough to make a successful business in the best of times. It is impossible to make one if you are limited by an arbitrary number such as 25% capacity.  Though with anything one man's loss will be another man's gain. There are some great opportunities happening now. The concept of having to go to the office for no reason is a big step forward for society.

Anyway back to the OP I feel safe in the USA close to a big city but far enough out for the lockdowns and nonsense to not bother me. I will probably take my new boat out and do some fishing for sunfish on one the numerous lakes in my area. 

The drive in theater is opening soon and that could also be fun. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Though with anything one man's loss will be another man's gain. There are some great opportunities happening now.

I agree with you on this. This virus is causing a lot of trouble. My business is shut, it will probably die, but I dont care, as I am using it as an opportunity to change.

I think the whole system is kinda screwy and needs massive change.

You almost need something like this virus to come along and rock the boat enough for the changes that are needed.

To answer OP, as soon as I can I am going to get on a plane to thailand, but I just hope the flights arent silly prices ... I dont think I would pay 2k a ticket or something like that

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

People are already booking cruises. The cruise lines reported what I thought unusually high numbers for new bookings. People are already on TV here ignoring social distancing at some amusement parks. I mean completely disregarding it. So I think people will go back to the old normal rather quickly it's in our DNA. 

If the Rolling Stones came to town and had a concert with no social distancing it would sell out immediately. The only thing stopping them is a handful of governors and mayors. The type of people that would drag you out of the water if you try to swim at the beach.

I agree with you on the economic impact and usually we agree on very little. Thailand's pain hasn't even begun yet. Of course for other places as well, but I expect it to be pretty severe in places like Thailand. NYC will most likely never come back if they do not open 100% and do it very soon. It will be odd in 20 years when we talk about peak NYC and peak California.  

It is hard enough to make a successful business in the best of times. It is impossible to make one if you are limited by an arbitrary number such as 25% capacity.  Though with anything one man's loss will be another man's gain. There are some great opportunities happening now. The concept of having to go to the office for no reason is a big step forward for society.

Anyway back to the OP I feel safe in the USA close to a big city but far enough out for the lockdowns and nonsense to not bother me. I will probably take my new boat out and do some fishing for sunfish on one the numerous lakes in my area. 

The drive in theater is opening soon and that could also be fun. 

The reference to peak California is fascinating. One could argue just when that was. I would say between 1965 and 1975. By the mid 1980's it was in decline. The massive decline (in quality of life and state of mind) happened after the four biblical events of 1992-1994. First the King riots, then the fires, then the floods and then the earthquake. LA has never been the same since then. A hollow shell of a city, where the local people possess one of the highest levels of personal fear I have ever witnessed anywhere, outside of war zones. And now? After Covid?

I have smart, successful, good looking friends there who have not had any intimacy for over two years! The film industry has totally corrupted the minds of any woman who is pretty and under 40. Their sense of "value" and entitlement, is like nothing I have ever seen, anywhere in the world. Woe is the single man who lives in Dogtown, and is not under 30 years old, famous, or worth at least $30 million.

When the world opens up, you do not want to be in LA!

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The reference to peak California is fascinating. One could argue just when that was. I would say between 1965 and 1975. By the mid 1980's it was in decline. The massive decline (in quality of life and state of mind) happened after the four biblical events of 1992-1994. First the King riots, then the fires, then the floods and then the earthquake. LA has never been the same since then. A hollow shell of a city, where the local people possess one of the highest levels of personal fear I have ever witnessed anywhere, outside of war zones. And now? After Covid?

I have smart, successful, good looking friends there who have not had any intimacy for over two years! The film industry has totally corrupted the minds of any woman who is pretty and under 40. Their sense of "value" and entitlement, is like nothing I have ever seen, anywhere in the world. Woe is the single man who lives in Dogtown, and is not under 30 years old, famous, or worth at least $30 million.

When the world opens up, you do not want to be in LA!

I meant peak financially. In a couple years we can talk about the fall of the economy and how California "was" the 6th largest economy in the world. Sounds like your problem with California is mostly you can no longer afford it and the lack of cheap women. Many of your posts revolve around those themes. You should consider for a moment that the woman problem is a bi-product of the woke.

California has been a hellhole for a very long time. It's still okay to travel around California just avoid the cities. I have to retract that it isn't okay to travel there now as they are being stubborn. You are right the LA crowd is scared of their own shadows. 

Hopefully the disgruntled folks from California such as yourself find somewhere like Thailand to go to next. I am not looking forward to the wave of New Yahkers, looking for new places to live over here on the East Coast. 

Anyway other than going fishing nearby I can't think of anywhere I would like to go abroad.

Gambling in a plexiglass cube in Vegas, social distancing in a gogo in Pattaya, club scene in London. Right now anything that involves people even if allowed to open is going to have a really creepy vibe. 

I didn't end up going anywhere for Memorial Day this year. Usually I schedule it to leave when the crowds are coming home. This year not really crowded but picking an itinerary was difficult. Is the campground going to be open, are there any concessions open, did the governor put gates across the roads? 

11 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I meant peak financially. In a couple years we can talk about the fall of the economy and how California "was" the 6th largest economy in the world. Sounds like your problem with California is mostly you can no longer afford it and the lack of cheap women. Many of your posts revolve around those themes. You should consider for a moment that the woman problem is a bi-product of the woke.

California has been a hellhole for a very long time. It's still okay to travel around California just avoid the cities. I have to retract that it isn't okay to travel there now as they are being stubborn. You are right the LA crowd is scared of their own shadows. 

Hopefully the disgruntled folks from California such as yourself find somewhere like Thailand to go to next. I am not looking forward to the wave of New Yahkers, looking for new places to live over here on the East Coast. 

Anyway other than going fishing nearby I can't think of anywhere I would like to go abroad.

Gambling in a plexiglass cube in Vegas, social distancing in a gogo in Pattaya, club scene in London. Right now anything that involves people even if allowed to open is going to have a really creepy vibe. 

I didn't end up going anywhere for Memorial Day this year. Usually I schedule it to leave when the crowds are coming home. This year not really crowded but picking an itinerary was difficult. Is the campground going to be open, are there any concessions open, did the governor put gates across the roads? 

Fortunately I did find Thailand as a place to live, and enjoy every day I spend here. It is a delightful place to be. In terms of the US, I also prefer the east coast. That is where I am originally from, and I relate to the down to earth, and straight forward nature of east coast culture. California has a serious identity problem (the vast majority of the population has no idea who they are, and what they are all about) , and it is worst in the LA area. No such issues on the east coast. 

I have so many problems with California, it would be difficult to list them. It goes well beyond the sense of entitlement younger, prettier women have. They are nearly impossible to relate to. I always said about NYC when I lived there, that I had no problem with their attitudes, because they have so much to back it up with. In LA it is just the opposite. Lots of attitude, and absolutely nothing to back it up. A city full of empty suits, for the most part. Of course there are exceptions, but the people of real substance in LA tend to hide out, so they are hard to meet. In NY it is just the opposite. They are afraid of nothing. There is a general sense of joylessness, terrible over crowding, horrendous traffic, pollution, crime, and filth. 

With the exception of two good friends, nearly everyone I know who could afford it, already left the state, for far greener pastures. The two who stayed behind are making so much money, they can afford to stay, and wait for a very comfortable, early retirement. I do enjoy going back there a couple of times a year. I enjoy the local culture (theatre, dance, independent film, stand up comedy, live jazz, etc.) the wine scene, occasional trips to the Santa Lucia Highlands and Monterey, Sonoma, etc. It is a nice break. But, I am thrilled to not have to live there anymore. I spent way too many years there, and at one point I got to like it a bit, but I never loved living there. LA is a tough town. It is Dogtown. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have booked a trip to go to Drummond Island Michigan. seventh largest lake island in the world, on the second largest freshwater lake, 30,000 islands, crystal clear freshwater. I asked about the Michigan governor and the rules. They told me the governor's guidelines were largely ignored and it is a green light to go boating around the archipelago. 

I may make my summer home there as the place I have in Maine is simply too far away. This is actually Harbor Island off of Drummond. Looks like Koh Phi Phi from the sky. It is highly protected though.

2e8f37021cbb2b379b284aa748da9b19--michigan-usa-lake-michigan.jpg

Edited by Cryingdick