When the world finally opens up again, where will you go first?

WineOh

On 5/21/2020 at 11:08 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

It is light years beyond dumb. The "slowdown" will last well into 2021, for certain. And some industries may never come back, or will be a pale shadow of their former selves.

I couldn't agree more; although, I think S. Korea, Taiwan, Sweden and the USA South & West will recover more quickly.

On 5/21/2020 at 5:08 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

You sound like a barrel of laughs!

Mike is a top poster, albeit he does tend to go off on one a bit on the covid thing.

On 5/21/2020 at 6:17 AM, crobe said:

Manila, Canberra, Tokyo and Singapore - all work trips currently on hold

But I had promised myself 3 road trips in Europe before the whole Brexit thing means we may have to get visas.

- Lisbon and down the coast of Portugal and Spain to Gibraltar, in a mini

- West coast of Norway from Bergen up to Trondheim in an old Saab

- Baltics - Helsinki over to Tallinn by ferry and then trains to Riga and Vilnius - a couple of nights in each  

No worries with Portugal (Britain's best mate), and possibly reciprocity with others once it happens.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 4:46 AM, BritManToo said:

Loads of bars, beer, loose women, things to see, cannabis and nice (but reasonably priced hotels).

I always stay here, Garden Village Guest House and Pool Bar. $12 night in their best air-con rooms by the pool and beer served 24/7 at 50c a glass.

P_20190116_120704.jpg

Sure about that Brit? When I was there a while back, prices were $20ish, though perhaps the bungalows...

Pub Street good fun (Temple awesome) and a good town for cocktails once you get sick of that Angkor draft tat lol.

10 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Mike is a top poster, albeit he does tend to go off on one a bit on the covid thing.

We all have our triggers and he's quite right.  This lockdown is a complete nonsense and now the global economy is screwed for years to come.  

Recession isn't nice and the poor suffer the most and longest.  

• Like 1

Going to also try the Baltic countries in Europe as well as Eastern Europe. Time for a change. So many nice places to see.

hard to beat the clean air and being able to drink the water out of a lake in western Canada. Few places on earth can compare to this. Can't beat the views on this golf course.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Ron jeremy
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 8:46 PM, BritManToo said:

Loads of bars, beer, loose women, things to see, cannabis and nice (but reasonably priced hotels).

I always stay here, Garden Village Guest House and Pool Bar. $12 night in their best air-con rooms by the pool and beer served 24/7 at 50c a glass.

P_20190116_120704.jpg

Add a sweet young thing next to ya who actually does love you and no money or health worries... Heaven

14 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Home to Chiang Mai.  My family (wife and 3 kids) is there while I'm stuck in the US.  Have not been with them since Jan 12th.  Thank goodness for Skype.

Worth looking forward to the day.  My outlook on life has certainly changed during lockdown.  

Good luck. 

On 5/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, spidermike007 said:

Probably to a cinema, and for sure will be eating out alot. But, the more important points about opening up are that it will take some time to see how this all shakes out, but it is my opinion that the economic fallout from the inane economic shutdown, is going to be 200 times worse than Covid itself, and the recovery "ramp up" will be long and excruciating. Far longer than they say. It will not just bounce back. In the history of the world, as far as we know, there has never been a deliberate worldwide economic shutdown. It is light years beyond dumb. The "slowdown" will last well into 2021, for certain. And some industries may never come back, or will be a pale shadow of their former selves. No doubt homelessness will skyrocket in the US. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work.

What about concerts? Will people be willing to hang out with crowds of 20,000, at a cost of hundreds of dollars for a crappy seat? Same with sports. Will people be willing to go into a stadium or an arena with 20,000 to 100,000 people close together, and pay crazy money for a seat? Movie theaters? Cruise ships? Will the hordes just start descending on restaurants again, and pay inane prices for a gourmet meal? The list goes on, and on and on. And in the end, hundreds millions worldwide could end up far poorer than they were before. And tens of millions could end up starving to death, compared to perhaps 300,000 or so total deaths worldwide from Covid. OK. The rich stay safe and financially secure. And the rest of us? And those of us who are self employed, without fortunes in the bank? There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time. So will the rest of the world. 

I agree with all you said except one thing. I don't think you'll be going to a cinema. To see what? By the time cinemas are open most of us have probably watched all the recent decent movies up until production stopped in March and all the B and C grade movies they usually bring out at the start of the year. Even the next season of your favourite TV show is probably going to be delayed for a year. Did anyone see the season finale of The Blackist? The season was planned for 22 episodes, but they made episode 19 the season finale and had to film it half real and half animated as they had to stop filming in March and couldn't complete it. It was a disappointment, but better than nothing.

• Like 1

It will be a long vacation around the world.

First Las Vegas, to play some poker when they open up.  Then Medellin , Colombia, never been there before. 
Then SE Asia, maybe Vietnam first, then back to Thailand.  If I have any money left, I would like a trip to Portugal and stay there for a month.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, balo said:

It will be a long vacation around the world.

First Las Vegas, to play some poker when they open up.  Then Medellin , Colombia, never been there before. 
Then SE Asia, maybe Vietnam first, then back to Thailand.  If I have any money left, I would like a trip to Portugal and stay there for a month.

Wondering how much the flight tickets will be by then compare to before shut down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Going to also try the Baltic countries in Europe as well as Eastern Europe. Time for a change. So many nice places to see.

hard to beat the clean air and being able to drink the water out of a lake in western Canada. Few places on earth can compare to this. Can't beat the views on this golf course.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Doesn't look like Kananaskis, Banff?

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Sure about that Brit? When I was there a while back, prices were $20ish, though perhaps the bungalows...

Pub Street good fun (Temple awesome) and a good town for cocktails once you get sick of that Angkor draft tat lol.

I paid $50 for 4 nights in the 'bungalow' on the end next to the smoking hut/slackwire area, about 6 steps from the pool. Was surprised because I thought those rooms were more expensive than that too.

That was in March, the day before the borders closed ....... only got to stay in it one night before the mad rush to the airport for the last flight back to Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Home to Chiang Mai.  My family (wife and 3 kids) is there while I'm stuck in the US.  Have not been with them since Jan 12th.  Thank goodness for Skype.

Yes, my situation is better than yours. My home is in Bangkok but my wife and I were in central asia for work. She went home in January for a 4 week holiday and we've been apart since. Here and Thailand are both locked down and my yearly visa extension expires in 2 weeks as well. Stay strong and enjoy that family time when you get it.

6 hours ago, tropo said:

I agree with all you said except one thing. I don't think you'll be going to a cinema. To see what? By the time cinemas are open most of us have probably watched all the recent decent movies up until production stopped in March and all the B and C grade movies they usually bring out at the start of the year. Even the next season of your favourite TV show is probably going to be delayed for a year. Did anyone see the season finale of The Blackist? The season was planned for 22 episodes, but they made episode 19 the season finale and had to film it half real and half animated as they had to stop filming in March and couldn't complete it. It was a disappointment, but better than nothing.

I tend to go to the cinemas far more when in the US, than here. The people responsible for booking the films here seem to be very lazy, and usually opt for the biggest film possible, then put it on 2-7 screens. Positively inane. I do not watch these so called tentpole movies anymore, as most are made for the Chinese market, and 7-15 year olds elsewhere. But, the independent films, and the foreign films I love to watch on a big screen. Eventually, that will be possible again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I tend to go to the cinemas far more when in the US, than here. The people responsible for booking the films here seem to be very lazy, and usually opt for the biggest film possible, then put it on 2-7 screens. Positively inane. I do not watch these so called tentpole movies anymore, as most are made for the Chinese market, and 7-15 year olds elsewhere. But, the independent films, and the foreign films I love to watch on a big screen. Eventually, that will be possible again. 

I gave up going to cinemas years ago. I download them if they seem interesting, then give them 10 minutes or so. Hardly any these days entice me to continue watching.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I gave up going to cinemas years ago. I download them if they seem interesting, then give them 10 minutes or so. Hardly any these days entice me to continue watching.

My attention span is such I can't stand the glacial pace of plot and character development which seems to be common to many movies nowadays. I just watch the films I have enjoyed previously, or the one hour TV series stuff. Think it's about 7 or 8 years since I was last in a cinema, don't miss the experience at all.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My attention span is such I can't stand the glacial pace of plot and character development which seems to be common to many movies nowadays. I just watch the films I have enjoyed previously, or the one hour TV series stuff. Think it's about 7 or 8 years since I was last in a cinema, don't miss the experience at all.

I hate watching films that I have not seen before, as I cannot bear the suspense, don't know the words to sing along, and don't know the convenient times to slope off to the toilet or get another beer

On 5/23/2020 at 11:25 PM, StreetCowboy said:

I hate watching films that I have not seen before, as I cannot bear the suspense, don't know the words to sing along, and don't know the convenient times to slope off to the toilet or get another beer

It is not only films that I have not seen in 7 or 8 years, but it has also been about that long since I last read one of your comments, comments some of which may have been written just after you had sloped off to the toilet, or posts composed after yet another beer, a substance that is both a liquid and an intoxicant, and a cure for the films of recent years. During these years, is it possible that I missed something good?  Maybe another Albert Finney-Tom Jones sort of film, or some indescribable comment?

12 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

It is not only films that I have not seen in 7 or 8 years, but it has also been about that long since I last read one of your comments, comments some of which may have been written just after you had sloped off to the toilet, or posts composed after yet another beer, a substance that is both a liquid and an intoxicant, and a cure for the films of recent years. During these years, is it possible that I missed something good?  Maybe another Albert Finney-Tom Jones sort of film, or some indescribable comment?

I normally go to the cinema with my kids around Christmas time, so the last really good film I saw was Boxtrolls.  Mortal Engines was interesting, but the parkour in the Tolkien films was just ridiculously far-fetched.  You cannot run up falling rubble! And the Star Wars Soap Opera?  OFFS!

On 5/23/2020 at 6:35 AM, Lacessit said:

Doesn't look like Kananaskis, Banff?

What about the far-away lakes not too far from Timmins?

Easy to disappear for months and see no one.

Catch fish and drink lake water.

No toilets in the woods, but who cares?

Sometimes you need to portage heavy loads of food and porridge up and down narrow mountain trails to get your canoe from one lake to the next.

There are bear up there.

So, what about Timmins?

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I normally go to the cinema with my kids around Christmas time, so the last really good film I saw was Boxtrolls.  Mortal Engines was interesting, but the parkour in the Tolkien films was just ridiculously far-fetched.  You cannot run up falling rubble! And the Star Wars Soap Opera?  OFFS!

Yes, but, who can even stand Tolkien?

What a birdbrain.