Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I purchased a packet of chewing gum this morning, they should  grant me permanent residency ?

FWIW my income tax far exceeds the VAT on what I purchase monthly.

If you have Thai family and stay here for years w/o incident, yes, you should get PR.  Not the right to vote - just "be here" with your family.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

You didn't think of your family when you chose to go back to work?

Knowing full well that you may not be able to return to them due to the ongoing crisis?

I am not away from my family, I work in an office here in Thailand and have done for many years thanks!

But on behalf of those that did have to leave their families, perhaps read the previous posts to get the answers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Imagine the outrage if Thailand refused entry to its own people, Iam sure the idea was tabled though and got voted down !!

The same as the outrage of those non-Thais unable to be with their families I imagine. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thailand does not have enough quarantine beds for repatriated nationals to spend 14 days in so why should the Thai government ad to that burden just so old matey can get his end wet and give the kids a cuddle.

Let me rephrase - the Thai Government does not want to spend money on quarantine facilities. They prefer spending the money here.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/category/news/business/

In further developments the Government signed a deal with various Hotels to to use their idling facilities as quarantine facilities. The arising cost are to be paid by the users of those facilities. And still no change in the policy of excluding all foreigners - incl. people married to Thais and have children!

Meetings can be done online.

Find another employer if they insists on international travel for work commitments...... or travel knowing you cannot return (and then don't start crying on social media about it).

You are so far from reality with your *well meant constructive criticism*. Back to bed, the wife is calling. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, digger70 said:

No one said that one is Struggling with this concept.   You are the One who said that .So You Must be struggling with the Concept. ???? 

no struggle here at all, i praise the Thai government for putting their own first.

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If you have Thai family and stay here for years w/o incident, yes, you should get PR.  Not the right to vote - just "be here" with your family.

what does PR give a foreigner that a non immigrant visa does not ?

8 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Let me rephrase - the Thai Government does not want to spend money on quarantine facilities. They prefer spending the money here.

Why should the Thai government pay the bills for a non citizens quarantine ?

• Sad 1

Just now, HenryC said:

How about for work idiot.

A real family man would get a job locally to support his family rather than leave the to it for extended periods of time to work abroad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I am not away from my family, I work in an office here in Thailand and have done for many years thanks!

But on behalf of those that did have to leave their families, perhaps read the previous posts to get the answers.

You are missing the point again and again.

Nobody had to leave.

They made the choice to leave.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, traveller101 said:

I'm not talking about paying taxes - I'm talking about footing the bill for the quarantine. Is that clear enough?

Crystal clear, why should the Thai government have to shoulder that cost for an alien ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You are missing the point again and again.

Nobody had to leave.

They made the choice to leave.

Just like they leave (voluntarily) for extended periods of time often, they made the choice but are now all butthurt the government has told em to stay away...

Cry me a river !!

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

no struggle here at all, i praise the Thai government for putting their own first.

But they don't.  If they did, I would back them 100%.  They could let all their citizens come back this week, if they prioritized that, then let all the non-Thai families members in next. 

Not enough buses, hotel-rooms, cops or military-conscripts to enforce the quantine?  What's the hold-up?

what does PR give a foreigner that a non immigrant visa does not ?

The right to be in the country.  A "non-immigrant visa" is just a temporary stay, which can be revoked with rule-changes - both "official" ones and "unpublished" ones - any year w/o warning.

Because they are married to Thais.  But, as said previously, foreigners are offering to pay.

• Like 2

Iam actually, missus is out by the pool cooking my breakfast on the BBQ.

life is great, was upset I could not go home to my Uncles funeral though.

May be off topic, you blow yourself some kisses in the morning seeing yourself in the mirror?

Most of your comments here are so far from reality. Many other governments do actually care about families, even if there is an expat part of it. Ivory tower view. Are you part of the smug junta?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

But they don't.  If they did, I would back them 100%.  They could let all their citizens come back this week, if they prioritized that, then let all the non-Thai families members in next. 

Are they denying entry to Thai citizens ?

• Sad 1

One problem getting back some airlines have stopped service. A friend who works in Mozambique is stuck there with his wife and kids, she is Thai. They want to come and visit but they have a ban on travel from Mozambique and Thailnd and airlines are not flying. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Not suggesting that they do. There was an article a couple of days ago for VIP quarantine. Hotel, tests inclusive package.

If a Thai can do that then why not a farang with family? what's the difference if will to pay.

• Like 1