Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

Just now, fredwiggy said:

If the shoe fits. I judge because I wouldn't stoop so low as to be unfaithful to a wife that I love and care about. The worst way you can hurt someone is to cheat on them. That is a very disturbed mind at work. If you don't want to be with someone because they have hurt you in some way, leave.

What if they don't mind?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Quarantine is not 100% effective though, an article I read earlier mentioned 97%.

If thats the case then of those 5000 people 150 will possible head out into the community and spread the virus.

Do you seriously think this is an acceptable risk just because old matey has not been able to give his kids cuddle ?

Are 3% "escaping" covid-positives?  Or are is your article about "self-quarantine," which is not what I suggested?  How would the 150 escape - by ropes from the hotel windows?  Put them on a high-floor, if that's the concern - plenty available.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What is the success rate for the test when someone is asymptomatic ?

After 2 weeks in quantine, there is really not even a reason to test - but just to make those few with pre-existing medical conditions that put them at risk feel safe, could do it anyway.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

What if they don't mind?

Then why be married? Just date and screw everything you can get your hands on. There are always people who have casual sex, not caring about diseases, or the fatherless children they might create.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Are 3% "escaping" covid-positives?  Or are is your article about "self-quarantine," which is not what I suggested?  How would the 150 escape - by ropes from the hotel windows?  Put them on a high-floor, if that's the concern - plenty available.

where did I say they escaped ?

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Then why be married? Just date and screw everything you can get your hands on.

Ever heard of happily married people "swinging"? There's a thing called that. Look it up. It's called being "swingers"

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There was a thread somewhere (on this forum where someone) mentioned a 20min Covid-19 test.

That would pretty much solve any of the issues over night once distribution was available.

It's available in the USA now - the "Abbot Labs" test - with others in the pipeline down to 5 minutes.  I don't know the cost, but the airlines have been saying they will test everyone pre-flight.  Add a quarantine of just a few days, then a 2nd test - in case they just caught it pre-flight - and the risk is eliminated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There was a thread somewhere (on this forum where someone) mentioned a 20min Covid-19 test.

That would pretty much solve any of the issues over night once distribution was available.

In trials. Takes 6 weeks currently.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, TheAceFace said:

Richard, dont rise to the bait mate, your replies have all been appreciated. I too am in the same boat as you, been away for a while now.....because needs must to support my family, its us guys who break our balls to be able to lead a good life, dont let some strangers on this forum get to you. Some people have nothing better to do. One day they will reap what they sow. Stay safe mate and im sure you will be with your family soon, as I will. Keep safe.

well maybe you, Richard and others should have looked at the implications of marrying a foreigner and basing yourselves in a foreign country more closely. 

Thailand is not the west, its values and versions of democracy are just not the same. its monarchy, religion, people here, that's Thai people, just look how they treat the Rohingya refugees.

When the rioting was getting out of hand in Bangkok, the red/yellow shirts, the head of the military, one Prayut Chan-o-cha said he would close the country- everything, closed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Some thing wrong with your logical thought process. The virus isn't picky about affecting different nationalities. There is no medical reason to distinguish between in coming people based on nationality. However, some places have bigger issues at the moment with this virus so place of departure could be important.

The decisions are based on political considerations. No government wants to try and stop its own nationals from coming back to their own country. Understandable. Many governments are banning non nationals, migrant workers, tourists etc from entering as a safety measure. Understandable where large numbers of people from at risk countries could be involved.

However, that leaves a relatively small group of non Thai nationals who live with their Thai spouse and family in Thailand. Some may also work here, some own businesses, some are retired. This small group, many of whom have resided here for a long time are keen to return to their families. It would not be outrageous to allow that, providing they all agree to be tested and if covid 19 free still go into 14 day quarantine at a prescribed hotel. The issue is if they are then tested positive during the 14 days, in which case they must either have health insurance or the funds to pay for hospital treatment. 

The easy option, which is being taken, is to simply ban them from entering. Regardless of the effect on the family.

Where did I say they virus discriminates ?

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I doubt the freedom we previously had to move between countries will ever come back.

Now..that is quite possible.

The old 2019 world (which everyone complained about because it was always about "me") may never come back.

After all-you could hop on a plane back then whilst carrying the Bubonic Plague and no-one would bat an eyelid as personal responsibility was at a discount..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Then .... why come/stay here?  I have encountered exactly 2 "ordinary" Thais who were rude bigots in YEARS here, other than corrupt Immigration personnel, who use rudeness as an economic-tactic.   Given the CCP's well-funded anti-farang media barrage here, this demonstrates a significant inherent-resistance to bigot-hate tendencies.

I work with Thais every day.  They are generally very nice, polite people.  I encountered a significantly higher percentage of genuine (explitives) in my passport-country, on a regular basis, than here.  That said, in my experience, most "ordinary working people" everywhere are good people, who seek to harm no one.

Hear hear!

• Like 2