Are the hotels in Pattaya open or closed (thought they were closed but booking.com shows availability)

tomster

As usual here it's all very confused, ambiguous and open to (mis)-interpretation.  My mate has a few condos in Jomtien, but currently he is back home.  His wife's sister and her Farang boyfriend and kids wanted to go down there from Khon Kaen, for a short holiday last week.  The condo committee and management wouldn't allow it!?!?  Fortunately they phoned ahead to ask.

Anyone else had this experience?

20 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

The hotel had a 24 hour  reception, swimming pool, 2 restaurants ,(one with buffet breakfast) about 70 hotel rooms , room service from the restaurant, daily cleaning and was even named as a hotel. I booked it because it was a hotel and I wanted 24 hour reception. What else does it need to qualify as being a hotel? I know you have read that hotels are closed but looking at it logically there are still a lot of tourists in Thailand and they can't sleep on the beach. The order said  people already booked in can stay. I don't think anyone is going to go around every hotel in Pattaya and check how long guests are staying.

Yes, I agree, this is why Airbnb, booking.com are thriving. 

They are agents, they do not have a hotel licence. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I agree, this is why Airbnb, booking.com are thriving. 

They are agents, they do not have a hotel licence. 

You wrote in your earlier post "Why be a nuisance, let's keep this TVF professional with reliable information. " and then you want to talk about what is a hotel and what is not and if a hotel is properly licensed? The OP wants a hotel for his friends. I don't think he cares whether it is correctly licensed, whether the radio says it closed or if 99% of the hotel's look closed when you drove around Pattaya.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

You wrote in your earlier post "Why be a nuisance, let's keep this TVF professional with reliable information. " and then you want to talk about what is a hotel and what is not and if a hotel is properly licensed? The OP wants a hotel for his friends. I don't think he cares whether it is correctly licensed, whether the radio says it closed or if 99% of the hotel's look closed when you drove around Pattaya.

It's not about what you think. 

You're confusing things. 

An illegal Hotel is not a hotel. 

It's some dodgy person renting rooms. 

It's against the law, Airbnb, booking.com. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

The hotel had a 24 hour  reception, swimming pool, 2 restaurants ,(one with buffet breakfast) about 70 hotel rooms , room service from the restaurant, daily cleaning and was even named as a hotel. I booked it because it was a hotel and I wanted 24 hour reception. What else does it need to qualify as being a hotel? I know you have read that hotels are closed but looking at it logically there are still a lot of tourists in Thailand and they can't sleep on the beach. The order said  people already booked in can stay. I don't think anyone is going to go around every hotel in Pattaya and check how long guests are staying.

It must have a hairdryer and trouser press in the room otherwise he won't believe it's a hotel

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What are you talking about. 
Stranded tourists are not in hotels, they are in guest houses etc. 
You can't book hotel accommodation in Pattaya. 
Do you live in Pattaya. 
Go for a drive around, all shut. 

The local radio station here 103fm broadcasts are saying that they are shut. 

The OP is asking for information, correct information. 
Don't bother commenting for the sake of commenting. 

If you don't know the facts don't comment. 

Why be a nuisance, let's keep this TVF professional with reliable information. 

Are you a hotel inspector or something? see post #22 that's definitely a hotel. I can't vouch it has a trouser press in the room though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are you a hotel inspector or something? see post #22 that's definitely a hotel. I can't vouch it has a trouser press in the room though

OK, lots of knowitalls that probably don't even live in Pattaya. 

The local radio station 103fm has said that they are all shut. 

You're confused with the Airbnb etc. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nope, I have been told all closed.

The only accomodation is the Illegal AirBNB etc.

The illegal daily/weekly renters are still active.

11 hours ago, petermik said:

You have been told wrong....most are closed,however a few with long term guests are still open and accepting bookings/walk in,s.....contact RCon Blue Ocean if you need rooms :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OK, lots of knowitalls that probably don't even live in Pattaya. 

The local radio station 103fm has said that they are all shut. 

You're confused with the Airbnb etc. 

I live here and can absolutely confirm they are NOT ALL SHUT....look at my earlier reply to your initial comment...do you have difficulty understanding plain English.....they are NOT ALL SHUT despite what you claim to hear on the radio :sad:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, as I said there are lots in Pattaya. 

Arcadia Beach Resort is one and many more. 

They look just like a hotel but not, usually a Condo or guesthouse or similar. 

To the OP, you can get accommodation in Pattaya but it won't be a Legally Registered Licenced Hotel. 

There you go, enough said, I'm out of here 

• Haha 1

I am staying at OPEY DE hotel, soi Lengkee 1, [email protected]. www.opeydeplacepattaya.com

Open but only about 15 guests staying. not luxury, but clean and with pool and all restaurants in the area open. Reasonably priced and friendly place. Centrally located, all shopping malls easily reachable.

staying here several months already, pleasant.

booking direct is best deal.

thaisabai

Edited by thaisabai
additional comment

12 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

To the OP, you can get accommodation in Pattaya but it won't be a Legally Registered Licenced Hotel. 

Not surprised you are out of here. As said earlier you will refuse to  phone or look online as it would prove you wrong. Easier for you to run than admit you are wrong. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Post #22 is about Intown Holiday Hotel, nothing to do with Arcadia or AirBNB.

I recall that the hotels had a choice whether to close or not, they could stay open if they had guests, obviously most closed as not enough customers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nope, I have been told all closed.

The only accomodation is the Illegal AirBNB etc.

The illegal daily/weekly renters are still active.

Airbnb is not now nor has it ever been illegal.

• Confused 1

The rules regarding hotel could open or not I have a good friend with a 50 bed hotel here in Phuket and as long as they had guest they could stay open when the last guest moved out she had to close so no allowed to accept any new guest, still closed

20 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The rules regarding hotel could open or not I have a good friend with a 50 bed hotel here in Phuket and as long as they had guest they could stay open when the last guest moved out she had to close so no allowed to accept any new guest, still closed

Yes but it is one of those stupid laws that they make. Totally unenforceable. I can't see Thai authorities going around and checking each day for  arriva!s. I was surprised at new arrivals every day where I was staying but obviously a case of ",Mai born Rai"  Where are people going to stay anyway? On the beach.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I recall that the hotels had a choice whether to close or not, they could stay open if they had guests, obviously most closed as not enough customers

No choice, they were ordered to close. 

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes choice, many hotels open

You're misunderstood, these are not hotels that are open. The government ordered hotels in Pattaya to shut. 

What you'll find they may call themselves a hotel and look like a hotel but may well be a guesthouse or similar. 

Illegal weekly or daily rentals are common and a big problem here in Pattaya. 

• Like 1

Another one here that can confirm there are hotels open in Pattaya and I see them almost every day.  A mate has just spent a couple of months in what was LK on 19 and is now OYO Sleep Easy.  Anyone who knows it will agree it's not a guest house.

Even the article quoted above said if they have existing guests they had to notify the council, but they were not forced to close.

image.png.23e537e212e431083a1c5cfadd3dbddf.png

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1