'What planet are they on?' No respite for UK's Johnson and aide

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, jimmyswale said:

Bit of a liberty though not to tip his boss off in advance that he was about to break lock down and do a runner and potentially present him with a big problem (which he has). 

In the end though, the real story today wasn't his strange timeline. That, by the end of the press conference, was more of a comedy subplot than anything else. The real story was the state of him. He was stripped of all the culture war defences he had built up over the last few years - weaponising the right-wing press over Brexit and firing off constant salvos of 'will of the people' gibberish. So what we saw was a slight and helpless figure. Once the lights were turned in on him, it was clear he wasn't up to it.

Boris Johnson has staked his reputation on this man. He put his government on the line and risked his public health strategy in order to preserve him. Given the performance today, it's hard to work out why.

https://politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/05/25/cummings-press-conference-the-emperor-has-no-clothes

Not as bad as the as yet unanswered question as to how this entered public domain and to what end? It has MSM stitch up written all over it, something conveniently being overlooked by the rhubarb brigade. This to me is the real story.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I wouldn't have dragged my kid the length and breadth of the country. I'd have isolated my family in our family home in London and made appropriate provisions there.

That would be very difficult living in the Darkside would it not? ????????

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Why not do this, why not do that. I stand by what I said "most people on here would put their children first" surely that is not questionable.........is it.

I did not say that was questionable. 

I did question whether driving 260 miles while you think you are coming down with what can be a very debilitating illness, or while you are just in the process of recvering from such, is actually, to use your owrds "putting your children first".

I also question whether, as one of the architects of a policy, you think it acceptable to then flout that policy  (I am minded of a Labour Cabinet minister, name escapes me, who had campaigned long and hard against private hospitals but who immediately had her mother admitted to one when she fell ill.) 

I am not big on hypocrisy, or "do as I say, not as I do" no matter who it comes from.

PH 

PH

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

IMG_20200526_142047.jpg

Baerboxer repost from Vogie.

I wouldn't get to excited about this. This was posted on twitter, maybe true, maybees not. It was followed by some very right wing comments - strange. 

This is less than 10% of LP membership. 

Momentum contains some pretty weird people, who rather like some on this forum, cannot face the truth and constantly blame the MSM. It all tends to bear out the adage that if you travel far enough out on the authoritarian left you end up emerging on the authoritarian right. The line between Communism and Fascism is pretty thin.

What is really worth noting though is that Boris Johnson's approval rating has dropped from +19 to -1 in the last 4 days. Now THAT'S HUGE.  (Savanta com res)

71% believe Cummings broke lockdown rules (You Gov) nearly 3/4s of Britain refuse to be fooled.

I can't copy the links from mobile to laptop (Tech not my thing sorry). The news is widely available in the papers.

Fancy sending death threats to Bishops anyone. How far into the gutter has my country sunk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phulublub said:

I did not say that was questionable. 

I did question whether driving 260 miles while you think you are coming down with what can be a very debilitating illness, or while you are just in the process of recvering from such, is actually, to use your owrds "putting your children first".

I also question whether, as one of the architects of a policy, you think it acceptable to then flout that policy  (I am minded of a Labour Cabinet minister, name escapes me, who had campaigned long and hard against private hospitals but who immediately had her mother admitted to one when she fell ill.) 

I am not big on hypocrisy, or "do as I say, not as I do" no matter who it comes from.

PH 

PH

No what you are doing is changing and adding to what I wrote, my post wasn't difficult to understand, please reply to that if you wish, if not.........

17 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's gone past that now though hasn't it? Why didn't he just say that and say sorry yesterday? Instead he give a prime ministerial press conference, against the rules for SPADs, and continued with more lies.

How about the similar conference given by the inflated Sir Humphry who threw his teddy out of the pram re Pritti Patell?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

No what you are doing is changing and adding to what I wrote, my post wasn't difficult to understand, please reply to that if you wish, if not.........

You initialy wrote:

"In all honesty I think that most people on here would put their children first..."

Questioning whether driving a long distance - twice - with your child in the car is really "putting your child first" is directly addressing your post.

PH

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I suspect it might never have been revealed if Cummings' wife hadn't done her Spectator article and Radio 4 piece lying about their coronavirus experience. 

No relevance whatsoever, given she's free to do as she pleases and both articles were published days if not weeks before her husband became the news.

Do you recall similar kerfuffle re Bercows wife's car & how that went?

Edited by evadgib

5 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

You initialy wrote:

"In all honesty I think that most people on here would put their children first..."

Questioning whether driving a long distance - twice - with your child in the car is really "putting your child first" is directly addressing your post.

PH

If you don't think that most people on here would put their children first, that would be your opinion and your opinion only.

Whereas you are judging Dominic Cummings, I really don't think you have the qualifications to make such judgement, both of us don't know what was going through D Cummings mind, if in his mind he thought he was making the correct decission then thats all that matters, it is his child and really is no concern of others to make judgement on doing what he thought was best for his child.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No relevance whatsoever, given she's free to do as she pleases and both articles were published days if not weeks before her husband became the news.

But Downing Street was refusing to answer questions about where he was for weeks. When her article came out the lies were clear. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

1 minute ago, vogie said:

If you don't think that most people on here would put their children first, that would be your opinion and your opinion only.

Strange you get that from what I wrote.   I am not, and have not, questioned whether people would put their children first.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Whereas you are judging Dominic Cummings, I really don't think you have the qualifications to make such judgement, both of us don't know what was going through D Cummings mind, if in his mind he thought he was making the correct decission then thats all that matters, it is his child and really is no concern of others to make judgement on doing what he thought was best for his child.

Nope.  I am not judging anyone.  I AM questioning the wisdom of, and whether it is actually putting your children first, to drive a long distance, with them in the car, when you are coming down with, or recovering from, a delibilitating illness.

PH

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Strange you get that from what I wrote.   I am not, and have not, questioned whether people would put their children first.

Nope.  I am not judging anyone.  I AM questioning the wisdom of, and whether it is actually putting your children first, to drive a long distance, with them in the car, when you are coming down with, or recovering from, a delibilitating illness.

PH

You are questioning something that has nothing to do with my original post. If you have a problem with it I am sorry but I believe this to be the truth, I really don't need you to twist what I said, so here it is again, for the last time I hasten to add.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

In all honesty I think that most people on here would put their children first and would go to the ends of the earth if necessary for them, but for the people on here that abhor Dominic Cummings it would not fit in with their narratives or objectives to even consider admitting it.

39 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Not as bad as the as yet unanswered question as to how this entered public domain and to what end? It has MSM stitch up written all over it, something conveniently being overlooked by the rhubarb brigade. This to me is the real story.

By your logic a burglar that hasn't been caught committed no crime. If there is no crime there is no 'victim'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

You are questioning something that has nothing to do with my original post.

I am questioning something that is at the very heart of your post - actually, honestly and really putting your child first.  But you either refuse to see this or, more likely, cannot see a way to properly address it without admitting that DC was wrong.

PH

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

So he risked taking his wife and child on a 'test drive' when he felt he may be unfit to drive!

If his wife was fit to drive, why couldn't she drive them to London, thus removing the need for this 'test drive?'

The whole 'test drive' excuse smells more fishy than Billingsgate in it's heyday!

Yes, he did risk a test drive with wife and child. Possibly he was somewhat impaired, but not greatly impaired and the test drive was an abundance of caution.

Indeed his wife was supposedly feeling better by then, I don't why she could not have driven, perhaps she's not a good driver.

I have to qualify that by saying I have never in my life taken a drive to test if my eyesight is okay.

3 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Why didn't he drive 30 miles towards London, stop and assess his ability to continue? If not, he could have turned round and driven back to his parents home.

Possibly the drive to the castle resort town was an easier drive.

Less cumbersome to do a test drive there, than going on the drive to London.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

Yes, he did risk a test drive with wife and child. Possibly he was somewhat impaired, but not greatly impaired and the test drive was an abundance of caution.

Indeed his wife was supposedly feeling better by then, I don't why she could not have driven, perhaps she's not a good driver.

I have to qualify that by saying I have never in my life taken a drive to test if my eyesight is okay.

That's because you are sane , reasonable and are telling the truth. 

Just now, Logosone said:

Possibly the drive to the castle resort town was an easier drive.

Less cumbersome to do a test drive there, than going on the drive to London.

It isn't. Rural road.

You're clutching at straws now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jimmyswale said:

By your logic a burglar that hasn't been caught committed no crime. If there is no crime there is no 'victim'. 

I could not have made it any clearer & having done so will move on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyswale said:

That's because you are sane , reasonable and are telling the truth. 

And you are very handsome and have a lovely voice.

1 minute ago, Phil McCaverty said:

It isn't. Rural road.

You're clutching at straws now.

I'm not clutching. Not clutching. No reason to clutch. I'm just trying to make sense of what we were told.

It could be that this rural road is an easier drive, less cars, than a motorway trip to London.

Could be more suitable for a test drive.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The test drive is total BS, he took his wife and child for a drive, they had a 15 minute walk around and went back to his father's farm. By saying it was a test drive he hasn't incriminated himself because a 60 round trip at the time was against the law.

On his wife's birthday to a beauty spot. Mlud. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1