'What planet are they on?' No respite for UK's Johnson and aide

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

MPs come and go, just sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Thinking back to the last election, how many MPs left their respective parties for attention and are now in the wilderness?

Occasionally snatching a quick spot on Piers Morgan’s breakfast show to make snide remarks about Boris & co. 

More will go and good riddance, they are surplus if they can’t focus on the bigger issues of the crisis we’re facing.

Just like Boris did.

Resign from the cabinet, generate loads of publicity in the media, drum up backbench support, topple May in leadership election.

Cummings is becoming more and more of a liability. Johnson should ditch Cummings before the party ditches Johnson.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Just like Boris did.

Resign from the cabinet, generate loads of publicity in the media, drum up backbench support, topple May in leadership election.

Cummings is becoming more and more of a liability. Johnson should ditch Cummings before the party ditches Johnson.

Yes but Boris realized his greatest ambition unlike the “chaff” and good riddance to May.

Only Cummings enemies and sour grape re moaners see him as a liability, how strange?

Indicative of doing a good job?

Edited by twocatsmac
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Even if this is true and he was stupid enough to make this trip for such a bizarre reason, why did he expose his wife and 4 year old son to the high risk of a crash?

Well, they had to make the big drive down to London anyway, after the 'test drive'.

He probably figured 'if I'm driving all the way down with them, they can go on the test drive as well'.

Plus he wasn't feeling well himself, so he may have wanted his wife around.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, twocatsmac said:

Yes but Boris realized his greatest ambition unlike the “chaff” and good riddance to May.

Only Cummings enemies and sour grape <deleted> see him as a liability, how strange?

Indicative of doing a good job?

Indeed, Boris did realise his greatest ambition.

By being Faust to Cummings' Mephistopheles!

You only have to read the press, Tory as well as Labour, to see how more and more Tory MPs see Cummings as a liability. Every Conservative MP who has condemned Dominic Cummings as lockdown row escalates.

To say they are doing so out of sour grapes is a mark of your complete desperation. Many are Brexit supporters; including former ERG chairman and ex-Brexit minister Steve Baker.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Why didn't he drive 30 miles towards London, stop and assess his ability to continue? If not, he could have turned round and driven back to his parents home.

He was cleared to drive when he sought medical advice about returning to work.

M.Gove eventually confirmed that Dom could have driven straight to London and not visited Bernard Castle. There is now an attempt to use exercise as reason.

Personally I think an internal Conservative battle is taking place to dislodge B Johnson.

It seems strange that Gove , a very close ally and friend of Dom for a number of years is going round the media making a mess of the interviews. The interview with LBC this morning was awful.

45 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

More lies from yesterday.

During that press conference on Monday, Dominic Cummings claimed that he had been worried about a pandemic for some time and that last year he had written about the possible threat of coronaviruses and the urgent need for planning.

Jens Wiechers, a data scientist, put Cummings’ blog post mentioning coronaviruses through the Wayback Machine – a digital archive – and found that the relevant paragraphs had been added on 14 April – the day Cummings returned to work after the trip to Durham.

The BBC’s Faisal Islam’s thread has more on this story: https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1265034438645293056

Also, by coincidence, he inserted that reference to coronaviruses escaping from labs the day before Fox News put the Chinese lab story out into the mainstream. 

• Thanks 1

Time to start screaming or learn to live with the new normal of medical martial law, ongoing lockdowns, social distancing, self-isolation, and eating through a mask, with mandatory vaccine shots as the icing on the cake.

33 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

He was cleared to drive when he sought medical advice about returning to work.

M.Gove eventually confirmed that Dom could have driven straight to London and not visited Bernard Castle. There is now an attempt to use exercise as reason.

Personally I think an internal Conservative battle is taking place to dislodge B Johnson.

It seems strange that Gove , a very close ally and friend of Dom for a number of years is going round the media making a mess of the interviews. The interview with LBC this morning was awful.

Funny as hell though got caught lying on the hoof. It's their default mode now. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyswale said:

Funny as hell though got caught lying on the hoof. It's their default mode now.

So if someone drives from England to a place in Wales they can say "sorry officer I was testing my eye sight and not breaking Wales lockdown guidelines".

5 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

Exactly, if my child fell in a river I’m not waiting for a risk assessment before taking action.

Problem is too many people are programmed to follow the machine and don’t have judgement skills, many need to be led by the nose (press).

Get your eyes checked first though just to be on the safe side. ????

• Haha 1

Bit of a liberty though not to tip his boss off in advance that he was about to break lock down and do a runner and potentially present him with a big problem (which he has). 

In the end though, the real story today wasn't his strange timeline. That, by the end of the press conference, was more of a comedy subplot than anything else. The real story was the state of him. He was stripped of all the culture war defences he had built up over the last few years - weaponising the right-wing press over Brexit and firing off constant salvos of 'will of the people' gibberish. So what we saw was a slight and helpless figure. Once the lights were turned in on him, it was clear he wasn't up to it.

Boris Johnson has staked his reputation on this man. He put his government on the line and risked his public health strategy in order to preserve him. Given the performance today, it's hard to work out why.

https://politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/05/25/cummings-press-conference-the-emperor-has-no-clothes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

In all honesty I think that most people on here would put their children first and would go to the ends of the earth if necessary for them, but for the people on here that abhor Dominic Cummings it would not fit in with their narratives or objectives to even consider admitting it.

Why should people accept being lied to?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Why should people accept being lied to?

Deflection. Nothing at all to do with my post. Are you saying you would listen to Boris and Dom if your children needed help, I would have thought not.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Deflection. Nothing at all to do with my post. Are you saying you would listen to Boris and Dom if your children needed help, I would have thought not.

It's gone past that now though hasn't it? Why didn't he just say that and say sorry yesterday? Instead he give a prime ministerial press conference, against the rules for SPADs, and continued with more lies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

So let's take your thought - "go to the end's of the Earth".  Why not get your wife, or yourself, or both, tested?  (Since you can, as a Senior Government Advisor).  If one, or both are negative,then you can safely take care of your offspring in your own home while the other - if positive - can isolate elsewhere.

But if you were at death's door, or had recently been there, is it really safe to drive your offspring 260 miles?  (In either direction)

But then neither you, me or anyone else here had a hand in forming the rules that we tell others to live by.  If we had, then I would hope we would have more backbone than to decide that, now it is OUR family, then we can disregard these rules.

PH

• Like 2

Just now, KhaoNiaw said:

It's gone past that now though hasn't it? Why didn't he just say that and say sorry yesterday? Instead he give a prime ministerial press conference, against the rules for SPADs, and continued with more lies.

But that is not what I said in my post, I said "most people on here would put their children first" was I wrong to say that?

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

But that is not what I said in my post, I said "most people on here would put their children first" was I wrong to say that?

That's fine. Not why I think he should resign. Still if he was so worried about his son, why did he let him bring drinks and take his temperature when he was stricken with the virus?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phulublub said:

So let's take your thought - "go to the end's of the Earth".  Why not get your wife, or yourself, or both, tested?  (Since you can, as a Senior Government Advisor).  If one, or both are negative,then you can safely take care of your offspring in your own home while the other - if positive - can isolate elsewhere.

But if you were at death's door, or had recently been there, is it really safe to drive your offspring 260 miles?  (In either direction)

But then neither you, me or anyone else here had a hand in forming the rules that we tell others to live by.  If we had, then I would hope we would have more backbone than to decide that, now it is OUR family, then we can disregard these rules.

PH

Why not do this, why not do that. I stand by what I said "most people on here would put their children first" surely that is not questionable.........is it.

It seems to me that a certain clique on here have already judged Dom Cummings, I would prefer not to jump the gun but to wait for a proper investigation to take place. I can understand why some people on here would like to hang Cummings, I think we should leave that deadly deed to the gutter press.

Just now, vogie said:

Why not do this, why not do that. I stand by what I said "most people on here would put their children first" surely that is not questionable.........is it.

I wouldn't have dragged my kid the length and breadth of the country. I'd have isolated my family in our family home in London and made appropriate provisions there.

• Like 1