Retirement extension

The Immigration website says that visas are automatically extended to 31 July. Being unsure whether this applies to (a) retirement extensions and (b) to extensions of stay on the basis of Thai children, I called the immigration hotline this morning. I was informed that it is possible to do the new extensions in the normal way, but that, if this was not convenient, the automatic extension to 31 July would apply. Information I have seen elsewhere on this forum seems to imply that the automatic extension to 31 July does NOT apply to retirement extensions and that these must still be done before the existing expiry date. So, as often, I have ended up confused. Can anyone confirm whether the automatic 31 July extension applies to retirement extensions which expire before that date?

No reason or justification for not doing the regular extension.

The amnesty is for those who have no legal means to extend/renew.

Closed land borders being the main problem for many.

• Like 1

What matters is what your specific immigration office tells you. However, I was informed by my agent that I needed to renew my extension on April 17 (Chaeng Wattana in BKK) and I did so. When my staff read the decree for the amnesty, in Thai, they indicated that there was no mention of "extension" in that decree, only visas.

Thank you for the advice. I fully agree that it is best to do the extensions on time.  But clarity in relation to the 31 July date would be helpful is case of unforeseen circumstances in these uncertain times.

5 minutes ago, caughtintheact said:

Thanks, but I am trying to find the waiting time at Chaeng Wattana

I have seen reports of it being much shorter now since there are no tourists doing extensions now.

10 hours ago, caughtintheact said:

I have seen reports of it being much shorter now since there are no tourists doing extensions now.

Correct, there are far fewer people now. However, the pace of retirement extensions is unpredictable: when I was there (end of April), only 50 applications were handled between 08.30 and 12.00. However, the next 30 after the break took only 1.5 h.

25 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

Correct, there are far fewer people now. However, the pace of retirement extensions is unpredictable: when I was there (end of April), only 50 applications were handled between 08.30 and 12.00. However, the next 30 after the break took only 1.5 h.

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.