An end may be in sight to separation of Thai-farang families

webfact

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Are you feeling ok, just coz he has a 4/4 rotational job he does not live here full time even though his family / house etc is here - erm ok then.

You've got multiple people here telling you that its been fine for years as long as you depart by air, yet you seem utterly incapable of comprehending this. I did it for a long time. 

Much like immigration offices all over Thailand you will get outliers that make up their own rules, that does not mean it's the law for everyone all the time. 

It wouldn't matter even if the guy had a non-o because he wouldn't be allowed to come regardless. Just because how that guy and several others choose to manage their stay in Thailand is different to you and your own personal opinion does not mean its illegal, or wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

You've got multiple people here telling you that its been fine for years as long as you depart by air, yet you seem utterly incapable of comprehending this. I did it for a long time. 

Much like immigration offices all over Thailand you will get outliers that make up their own rules, that does not mean it's the law for everyone all the time. 

It wouldn't matter even if the guy had a non-o because he wouldn't be allowed to come regardless. Just because how that guy and several others choose to manage their stay in Thailand is different to you and your own personal opinion does not mean its illegal, or wrong. 

My point is these people would have more chance at entering the country if they had a non O than what they would trying to enter with a VE.

If your wife and family is here and you have a house here, ask any immigration office what visa you should get, his answer will NOT be VE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Good luck with getting the medical certificate from the authorities in whichever country you are, no more than 72 hours before flying, saying that you're clean. And good luck with getting the insurance to cover you for C19 up to $100,000. Until the Thai government drops these ludicrous requirements nobody is coming back any time soon.

why would you say that?  have you googled it?  or is this just "common knowledge" that everyone knows.

inexpensive travel health insurance is available that covers covid19 for as little as $50 for two weeks.  i went to the trouble of contacting an agent and was told:

"The plans that cover covid-19 are the safe travels plans.  Note that you must pre-certify in the case of covid-19 coverage (that is, you call the insurance company first before seeking testing or treatment).

Safe Travels Outbound Cost Saver will cost $101 and Safe Travels Outbound will cost $118 for three months coverage with same $500,000 maximum and $250 deductible."

some countries already have covid19 testing readily available on demand.  our local hospital has tests for about $30. 

as countries begin to open up and flights commence, even more testing and insurance options will become available.  with 15-minute tests a reality, there's no reason they couldn't be done as part of pre-boarding, with the cost included in a zero-dollar tour promotion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

You should let foreigners who have children with Thai citizenship to come back.

There are 10,000's foreigners who work abroad and have family in Thailand.

They work hard for a period and then want to stay with their Thai children in Thailand.

Why is it considered more humane to let people with work permits come in and not fathers to Thai children?

I would think that paying government tax for work permit holders contributing to Thailand has something to do with it as its sad but Thailand looks at dollars and cents before humanity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, time2093 said:

I would think that paying government tax for work permit holders contributing to Thailand has something to do with it as its sad but Thailand looks at dollars and cents before humanity.

In this way, Thailand gets the foreigner's money without letting him into the country. Who cares for children who miss their dad? Not the Thai Government.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why would you say that?  have you googled it?  or is this just "common knowledge" that everyone knows.

inexpensive travel health insurance is available that covers covid19 for as little as $50 for two weeks.  i went to the trouble of contacting an agent and was told:

"The plans that cover covid-19 are the safe travels plans.  Note that you must pre-certify in the case of covid-19 coverage (that is, you call the insurance company first before seeking testing or treatment).

Safe Travels Outbound Cost Saver will cost $101 and Safe Travels Outbound will cost $118 for three months coverage with same $500,000 maximum and $250 deductible."

some countries already have covid19 testing readily available on demand.  our local hospital has tests for about $30. 

as countries begin to open up and flights commence, even more testing and insurance options will become available.  with 15-minute tests a reality, there's no reason they couldn't be done as part of pre-boarding, with the cost included in a zero-dollar tour promotion.

Everybody that returns from overseas should have obtained a medical certificate to confirm they are Covid free, so nobody should arrive infected back in Thailand. Yet every day we see people that are quarantined and test positive.

It's obvious the tests in over countries are not being done correctly and can't be relied upon. No insurance company is going to pay out when the patient caught Covid before the insurance policy was taken out.  

4 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I am sure people will not be allowed to return to their families by only rocking up to get a 30 day stamp, if they have non O's there may be a chance.

"Rocking up" to anywhere or just using the term "rocking up" should be immediate grounds for denial of entry without appeal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

So what about the likes of myself, and many others in the same boat.

I have a signed work contract as a maths teacher but no work permit. I am expected to be starting on July 1st. I have emailed the Thai embassy along with the ministry of education for guidance about incoming workers. Zero response!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Everybody that returns from overseas should have obtained a medical certificate to confirm they are Covid free, so nobody should arrive infected back in Thailand. Yet every day we see people that are quarantined and test positive.

It's obvious the tests in over countries are not being done correctly and can't be relied upon. No insurance company is going to pay out when the patient caught Covid before the insurance policy was taken out.  

thailand don't care.  this is a paperwork drill to meet the requirements on a checklist.  consider the useless thai-sourced insurance required for some extensions.  same-same.  the government announces some requirements, so we need to meet those requirements.  it goes like this:

A.  you need a covid19 test.

B.  you need insurance with covid19 cover, minimum $100K

1.  are tests available (in some countries)?

2.  is inexpensive travel insurance with covid19 coverage available?

if the answers to the above questions are "yes" and "yes", then the (potential) requirements to enter thailand in the future will have (potentially) been met.

38 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

You should let foreigners who have children with Thai citizenship to come back.

There are 10,000's foreigners who work abroad and have family in Thailand.

They work hard for a period and then want to stay with their Thai children in Thailand.

Why is it considered more humane to let people with work permits come in and not fathers to Thai children?

They will be allowed to come back............... after the 10,000's of 1,000's of actual citizens are home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raphus said:

So what about the likes of myself, and many others in the same boat.

I have a signed work contract as a maths teacher but no work permit. I am expected to be starting on July 1st. I have emailed the Thai embassy along with the ministry of education for guidance about incoming workers. Zero response!!

Zero response maybe because you would be working illegally.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, time2093 said:

It looks like news is just getting worse for you Brits out there trying to comeback to Thailand anytime soon. I'm sure you can add U.S.A and other high risk countries to the list.

Thailand doesn’t expect UK tourists to return until October

https://pattayaone.news/thailand-doesnt-expect-uk-tourists-return-until-october/

Due to the way things have been developing in recent years (even before CV19) many tourists not just British ones may not even want to come back anyway.

Then there was Anutin's claim that falangs introduced the virus into the LOS. That's going to make us about as welcome as a fart in a face mask.

And it's not as if Thailand is just 'round the corner' or a quick two or three hour flight away. The journey alone is a test of someone's endurance and stress levels even without the visa complications.

Many won't be able to afford it anyway especially the unemployed. Companies are going bust and calling it quits every day. British Airways alone in putting over 40,000 employees on the scrap heap. Eventually there will be millions unemployed in Europe, the US and probably The Antipodes as well.

The fact that some foreigners have children with Thai women won't count for much when it comes to international travel and visa restrictions even if anyone in authority pays the matter any attention.

Going by the very few conversations I've had with Thai people Prayuth and his chums in the government could not care less about the poor people in their country nor the welfare of children their women may have had with falang men.

Edited by yogi100

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

They are the one's making it harder for everyone else, policy should be changed to only allow 2 visa exempt entries per year............. and make sure it is policed.

And the reason being......? How do those working outside Thailand regularly and frequently make anything harder for everyone? 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

An end may be in sight to separation of Thai-farang families

That's Horse <deleted>, It's Only for the PRs And the ones with a Work permit. 

So it's Not for the Retirement and Married ones Without a work Permit Expats . 

I would say that Most expats are Retired and Married/retired without work Permit.  ???? 

11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

They will be allowed to come back............... after the 10,000's of 1,000's of actual citizens are home.

That would not have been very difficult, except for some geniuses here suddenly coming up with stupid requirements on a rolling basis getting their own citizens stranded and feeling not welcomed back by their own government. I am wondering whether the current Government really expects to get re-elected.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Many spouses and parents of Thais do not have WPs and very very few are permanent tesidents. So this is not going to help many families. Including not the case mentioned in the article.

A very interesting article and much more complete in The Pattaya mail website today

until the title ''Next moves for Thai immigration procedures in the pandemic age''

I am not sure if a copy\paste is allowed here, but it's easy to find the article.

56 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

Where is your local hospital?

Re the OP, a typical Thai government response that makes it sound like they're doing/going to do something to deal with a humanitarian problem... But in reality, they're not doing much of anything at all... But it all sounds so nice...

The basis for foreigners being allowed to return ought to be marriage/family with a Thai citizen, not just whether someone has a work permit or the tiny share who have obtained PR. And I didn't see any sign in the OP article that any change was coming anytime soon for the married/family folks in exile.

28 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Zero response maybe because you would be working illegally.

Not necessarily. I am going through the visa process when I arrive in country.

I cannot see that being an issue as I am in the understanding this is the process.

28 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

7 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Where is your local hospital?

haikou, hainan.  china has testing available for 20% of the world's population.

vienna airport is offering 3-hour testing for arriving passengers that lets them bypass 14-day quarantine.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/vienna-airport-on-site-coronavirus-testing

emirates is using a 10-minute test prior to boarding.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/airport-coronavirus-testing-people-flying-experts/story?id=70632838